Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

Posted (edited)

He's probably done more drills in the last 9 months than the rest of the QBs combined.  I don't doubt he probably looks sharper than one would expect for a guy in his shoes.

I think the Project 11 doc had enough lag in he production and his rehab that he seemed further away than he probably actually was.

Edited by justice98

I must admit I’m generally ready to move on from Smith as a QB option for us......

However, on the basis we are on the hook to pay him anyway, and he’s been fully cleared medically, I more than happy to have him here forcing a more competitive situation at the QB spot. Haskins now has a couple of viable threats with Smith and Kyle Allen.

Hopefully that competition drives improved performance across the board.

• Like 3

This still feels like a competition in name only. They said a lot of the same things about Allen. I am confident that this is Haskin’s job until it is not. The cabinet is stocked with insurance policies, but those don’t come into play until you need them.

Double that sentiment in an environment with no Preseason games. Allen or Smith won’t have a genuine opportunity to take this job from Haskins. The only way he loses it is if he gets hurt, sick, or throws it away himself.

Zombie can see this and he lost both his eyeballs. I know other people can too.

• Like 1

Tell me what sense it makes to have a legit QB competition among our young 2nd year future of the team QB and a 36yr old mediocre QB coming back after a 2 year injury where he broke his leg and nearly died? 

the more things change the more they stay the same. This team just can’t get out of its own way and will never miss doubling or tripling down on a previous mistake. Smith is a variable that should never be reintroduced to this team’s dynamic. It’s over, move on. 

here’s the thing, even if it’s not a real competition and it’s just for show, what’s the point? Nobody is going to trade for Alex so we aren’t showcasing him. All we are doing is taking reps away from people that will actually be here and can contribute for the sole purpose of getting some good PR and to give Alex the warm and fuzzies? And how will that PR look when he inevitably injures his leg again? 

this has disaster written all over it. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 4

My first thought was that it would be great to have another capable professional quarterback in the mix but after watching that video I've done a 180.

Maybe he's healthy enough to run around and do some things but mentally he's not even close, he's still favoring that leg like it's a prosthetic. 

He's picking it up and putting it back down in a completely unnatural way.

I see absolutely no chance at his age that he'll be able to play quarterback at the highest level without the leg being a huge mental factor the entire time.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

He's picking it up and putting it back down in a completely unnatural way.

Smith has always done things that are unnatural.

Coming back from that injury, for example :)

It's also unnatural for him to have so much success, through so much adversity throughout his career.

So I fully expect him to unnaturally throw beautiful passes this year.

He probably drinks Unnatural Light Beer

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Did you see that video of him with his family? He still has a limp. There is no way this is a competition. Smith ain't playing anytime soon. Its just coach speak.

I thought the same. There is NO WAY! He couldn't escape my 9 year old kid with that limp, let alone Kalil Mack or Aaron Donald. I love the guy and I'm pulling for him but it just doesn't add up.

What the hell were those doctors thinking?...They spent all that time, month after month checking on Alex's leg, viewing his surgery results, conducting X-rays, doing strength tests, running blood tests, assigning physical therapy sessions, doing MRIs and scans, running the guy through a battery of tests, making sure he checks everything off of their lists that have been compiled from decades of knowledge and experience between them...

...when all they really needed to do was put some flip flops on him, spray him down with cider, and then watch him walk for 5 seconds to determine if he's healthy enough to play or not. What a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Tell me what sense it makes to have a legit QB competition among our young 2nd year future of the team QB and a 36yr old mediocre QB coming back after a 2 year injury where he broke his leg and nearly died? 

So here’s my thought: I want a competition.  And I want Dwayne to win it.  And I think he can win it.  And if he can’t win it, then that says as much about where Dwayne is as it does about where Smith is. And I want to know that now. 

I get that Smith has a ton of experience, but he’s also learning this offense for the first time.  Dwayne has to have better athleticism and definitely has a better arm.  He’s the future, and in order to be the future he has to beat out a QB with 1 functional leg and Kyle Allen.  If he can’t do that, then that’s a really bad look for my guy.  

Also, Alex is a Snyder favorite, and Snyder picked Haskins.  So my gut tells me he sits this one out.  Ron’s going to have to make the call. 

And if he goes with Alex, that’s fine as long as Alex plays well.

However, I think this is Dwayne’s job to lose. And I think In the end he’ll win it and all will be good in the world.  I don’t mind pushing him.  

• Like 4

Learned something from another twitter moron today.... apparently it’s “felt like 5 years” since smith last played. When i tried correcting the moron, he said “how you gonna tell me how much time it’s felt like to me? You look like you have your cereal with energy drinks”. 

why are people morons? Why? WHY

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

I have a ton of respect for the work Alex put in to get back but I'm sorry, I don't want to see him as our QB1.

Starting a 36 yr old QB coming off a compound fracture is stupid, especially when you drafted a guy in the top 15 last year and you have no idea if he can lead this team going forward.

• Thanks 2

Like I’m sure most people, I’m rooting for Alex. However we need to move ahead and DH needs to have first team reps. One of Alexs greatest strength was his mobility and throwing on the run, is he capable of doing this in a real game effectively. I’m not interested in testing it out. 

The team pumping him up could be for trade purposes and to get his salary off the books.