Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Technically he's 36, but in football years, he's 34, since his body had 2 years off from getting hit.

Well, by that logic his right leg is 75 yrs old and receiving social security.

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t have that tough of a time with it if I were you. 

If we’re not in position for Lawrence, Fields or Wilson it wouldn’t surprise me at all to be going into the season with Smith and Allen.

I’d rather finish paying Smith his contract than sign Dak for 30M off a very significant injury. 

And there’s not gonna be much else.

I actually think Kyle Allen would give us very similar results to Smith over the duration of a season. Maybe a couple of wins in it but I don’t see either getting us the big prize. So that’s 20mil wasted both short and medium term. 

May as well stick with Allen and draft the #4 ranked QB in the draft if we miss on the first three. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I actually think Kyle Allen would give us very similar results to Smith over the duration of a season. Maybe a couple of wins in it but I don’t see either getting us the big prize. So that’s 20mil wasted both short and medium term. 

May as well stick with Allen and draft the #4 ranked QB in the draft if we miss on the first three. 

If you don’t have him ranked in range you don’t reach for him. Reaching gets you in trouble.

• Like 1

Alex Smith's comeback would have been impressive had he never stepped back on the field. A broken fibula and tibia and 17 surgeries thanks to an infection left him barely able to walk.

Just fighting his way back to normal was miraculous.

Now the starting quarterback for the Washington Football Team heading into today's game against the Cowboys, the team wants more of the 36-year-old Smith.

Coach Ron Rivera and his staff want Smith back for the 2021 season, sources say. A nod to not only his leadership in the quarterback room, but also simply how he's played. Smith has not said publicly or privately whether he wants to play in 2021, but he is under contract through 2022.

Smith is set to make $19 million next season, a perfectly reasonable rate for a bridge quarterback as WFT continues its search for their next franchise QB – whether it's Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen or someone acquired in a trade or the draft.

Over the past two games, Smith has gone 55-of-80 for 556 yards with one touchdown and an interception. A close loss to the Lions included a fourth-quarter drive that nearly won the game, and that was followed by a cruise control victory over the Bengals.

His performance in mid-November led Rivera to declare "he's back as a player." The team would like that to continue.

The Washington quarterback room has Smith and Haskins now, though Haskins could be dealt this offseason for a fresh start. Allen is currently on injured reserve, but expected to make a full recovery.

The team wants the high-character Smith to return, both to serve as a mentor to whoever the future is and because his play warrants a shot at being the starter himself.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

the team wants more of the 36-year-old Smith.

Coach Ron Rivera and his staff want Smith back for the 2021 season, sources say.

His performance in mid-November led Rivera to declare "he's back as a player." The team would like that to continue.

The team wants the high-character Smith to return...

I'm just wildly speculating here from Rapoport's article...but I think the team might want Smith back next year.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm just wildly speculating here from Rapoport's article...but I think the team might want Smith back next year.

My only issue here is its from Rapoport is therre a national reporter who gets things more wrong than him -- especially about this team?  

But I am cool with Alex being back as long as they have a plan in place for the future

On 11/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, wit33 said:

Totally subjective, but does anyone else feel his arm is a bit livelier than in past?

Agree with this observation. 

I'm definitely not against him starting next year. Also Kyle Allen as the back-up plan gives some insurance. 

There are some playmakers on offense, getting the ball out quick and in their hands is a strategy I can get on board with. 

Allen takes over in '22 unless they tank hard courtesy of key injuries. Pick the franchise QB in '22 or '23. 

I think Alex and Allen gives us the luxury of taking BPA during the draft and not "panic" picking a QB.  If "their guy" is there, great, but if Sewell is there and their QB is not they can take the best player available., I like it

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ggarriso said:

I think Alex and Allen gives us the luxury of taking BPA during the draft and not "panic" picking a QB.  If "their guy" is there, great, but if Sewell is there and their QB is not they can take the best player available., I like it

Not quite there with either guy and feel like Smith has more to prove this year to have a shot to be the starting QB next year. Trust me, I’m an avid supporter of Alex, but he now has limited mobility and must learn to play and be effective from the pocket, which isn’t an easy task (I imagine). To date though, it looks extremely promising. Let’s see how how he does to contribute in keeping the team competitive and in the playoff hunt to end the year. 

I’ll pass on Kyle Allen being the starter next year. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not quite there with either guy and feel like Smith has more to prove this year to have a shot to be the starting QB next year. Trust me, I’m an avid supporter of Alex, but he now has limited mobility and must learn to play and be effective from the pocket, which isn’t an easy task (I imagine). To date though, it looks extremely promising. Let’s see how how he does to contribute in keeping the team competitive and in the playoff hunt to end the year. 

I’ll pass on Kyle Allen being the starter next year. 

While I agree, this ignores that other teams are in play as well.

What we cannot do is reach for a guy the FO/coaches don’t like just to say we got a QB

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

if you don't get inspiration from seeing Alex then nothing can inspire you...

According to Alex, he's doing all this to inspire his kids - not for the money, or the attention. So it's actually for self-less reasons, as opposed to selfish reasons.

He wants his kids to believe that they can do anything, just like their Dad.

• Like 3

what are the odds that Haskins benching has humbled him to the point where he stops being a Diva and decides to work his ass off and turns his career around under the tutalage of rivera and turner?  Or am i just being extremely hopeful and bought into the fact that it seems this teams culture and attitude finally turned a corner?

Sooooo Alex is now, what... 8-4 as a starter w/ Washington? Something like that?

I mean don't look now, but crazy circumstances notwithstanding, Alex could end up going 10-6 in his first 16 starts as a WFTeamer. I'll take that as a starter next year w/ a young guy or two learning behind him.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1