Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity


Recommended Posts

It's coach talk. No professional coach is going to look at his depth chart that consists of a 36 year old class-act QB as his starter and a bad attitude as his backup, then go to the press and blab "yeah, my starter is a one legged dinosaur lmao, i don't want him." Smith and Rivera are both too classy for it to be called for, especially while we're in the middle of the season and arguably still in contention for the playoffs.

 

The only way we'll know that Smith is sticking around is if he's still on the roster by the time training camp rolls around. Until then, it's bright smiles and kind lies.

Edited by NickyJ
Link to post
Share on other sites

My mind is still completely blown by the fact that the dude still has a leg, let alone that he's starting. It's just incredible.....really, really unbelievable. This is one hell of a comeback story, and I'm glad to see it taking place on our team. Plus he's such a fantastic mentor for other players, and not just our QBs. This is so awesome, guys. I was lukewarm on the Smith acquisition when he was signed, but what he's overcome.......man!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

My mind is still completely blown by the fact that the dude still has a leg, let alone that he's starting. It's just incredible.....really, really unbelievable. This is one hell of a comeback story, and I'm glad to see it taking place on our team. Plus he's such a fantastic mentor for other players, and not just our QBs. This is so awesome, guys. I was lukewarm on the Smith acquisition when he was signed, but what he's overcome.......man!!

Seriously. We may not have our franchise qb, but we have one of the most inspirational athletes in all of sports leading this team. Would love for the games to matter, I guess mathematically they do, but I just enjoy watching this guy do what he fought so hard to do.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Now go get a win this week coupled with a Giant and Eagles loss resulting in a meaningful Thanksgiving Day game. 

Giants have a bye week, but I’d love to see the eagles lose to Cleveland Sunday. They’d fall to 3-6-1, while a win against the bengals has us at 3-7. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know, with the improved O and D lately, we could win the NFCE.  Some lucky breaks and we could  trap game our way to Super Bowl champions.  To paraphrase what somebody here said to me the other day on the Chase Young thread -- you can't prove it won't happen.  (Seriously though, has Alex given any indications about what he wants to do post-playing career?  He'd make a helluva coach.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith has tremendous value as a QB to the team. Problem is, I don’t really want him as a starter much past this season, and his contract is way too rich for my taste in 2021.

 

But the league is rife with punishing injuries, and it’s evident in most cases once your #1 goes down your are screwed.

 

It’s a difficult balance to strike.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable, I’m realistically entertaining the idea of Smith being the starter next season while Ron and company draft their QB.

 

Fascinating, he definitely is working to change his style of QB and is hanging in the pocket much more and looking to threaten teams more down the field. Not implying yesterday was a great day, but I feel his approach continues to be much different than what Alex was pre injury. I’m game to watch and adds value as a fan to see if he transforms himself in some ways. 
 

Totally subjective, but does anyone else feel his arm is a bit livelier than in past?
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Unbelievable, I’m realistically entertaining the idea of Smith being the starter next season while Ron and company draft their QB.

 

Fascinating, he definitely is working to change his style of QB and is hanging in the pocket much more and looking to threaten teams more down the field. Not implying yesterday was a great day, but I feel his approach continues to be much different than what Alex was pre injury. I’m game to watch and adds value as a fan to see if he transforms himself in some ways. 
 

Totally subjective, but does anyone else feel his arm is a bit livelier than in past?
 

 

Im kind of in the same mind set. If we are not in a position to draft one of the top prospects but the team still likes one further down the board to develop, Im good with another year of Alex /Kyle. Fix the LB and safety position. Fill holes in the O line, find a playmaker receiver and or Tight end. While a QB would be nice I just don't think we need to reach for one and force him into the position. We are not one year away from from being a contender, get a reliable defense (LB, safety) role with who we have now and this team is an 8 or 9 win team fighting for a playoff spot in this division while building that core unit that will be able to provide stability around a young QB.  Just my 2 cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly raises curious questions as to how he was able to pull this off. Like, how much of it was Alex's mental/physical strength, and how much was due to some breakthrough type of treatment, considering that he was the first athlete to ever go to that clinic that is reserved for military personnel and combat-type injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe improving to 4-7 and 2-1 as a starter (ho hum, another winning record as a starter in the NFL— for a 9th consecutive year) will get this thread fired up. Or when Ron says Alex in 2021 is the plan lol. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Maybe improving to 4-7 and 2-1 as a starter (ho hum, another winning record as a starter in the NFL— for a 9th consecutive year) will get this thread fired up. Or when Ron says Alex in 2021 is the plan lol. 

 

 

I think Alex has remarkably been better this year than 2 seasons ago.  but at his age, I am far from fired up about it for the team.  For him as a person, I think its super cool.   I want a young QB preferably in this draft.  If Alex is along for the ride to groom said QB i am more than cool with that.  But if its just Alex with no future guy on the horizon, it would be borderline depressing to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I think Alex has remarkably been better this year than 2 seasons ago. 

 

Totally different dude than we saw pre injury and if I had more spectrum of knowledge of his entire career, I’d say with more conviction, he’s attempting to reshape his whole approach to how he plays the position: Standing tall in the pocket/willing to take hits on release, Staying in the pocket longer, and more aggressive with down the field throws. 
 

Alex mentioning Rivers is what I’m seeing, but confirmation bias could be getting the best of me. Lol

 

 

 

Quote

   If Alex is along for the ride to groom said QB i am more than cool with that.  But if its just Alex with no future guy on the horizon, it would be borderline depressing to me. 


I think this is obvious no matter how the staff feels about him. Ron and company could love Smith and dee they can win right away, but I 100% feel they’re getting a young arm next year. Not mutually exclusive (not implying you’re saying this). 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Maybe improving to 4-7 and 2-1 as a starter (ho hum, another winning record as a starter in the NFL— for a 9th consecutive year) will get this thread fired up. Or when Ron says Alex in 2021 is the plan lol. 

 


If we win more, I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is the guy and they just take a mid round flyer on a guy they claim they want to develop.

 

If that happens and we don’t address linebacker I’m rioting.

 

in my backyard. I will take the damn swings off the swingset and throw them 10 feet. Do NOT make me do that.

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I think Alex has remarkably been better this year than 2 seasons ago.  but at his age, I am far from fired up about it for the team.  For him as a person, I think its super cool.   I want a young QB preferably in this draft.  If Alex is along for the ride to groom said QB i am more than cool with that.  But if its just Alex with no future guy on the horizon, it would be borderline depressing to me. 

 

I don't think his age should be emphasized so much, until we see proof that it's a factor.

Technically he's 36, but in football years, he's 34, since his body had 2 years off from getting hit.

And maybe he proves to have the longevity of QB's like Brees and Brady, who are playing into their 40's, and up to 43 years old or more.

So, taking all that into consideration, I don't see why he can't have several more good years left in him.

Even in the "worst case scenario", of just having Smith next year, and no future QB on the horizon, we'd still be in much better shape at QB, than we've had for the better part of the last few decades. He's clearly one of the best, if not the actual best, we've had at QB in a very long time.

Just remember, any QB that we draft next year, no matter who it is, is going to be a gamble, and not a sure thing.

Alex is likely to be as close to a "sure thing" as we are going to find for 2021.

I'd keep him next year, no matter what, even if we draft a promising QB, and no matter who it is that we draft. For numerous reasons.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of thought Rivera was fairly reserved, thats the wrong word, in his press conference assessment when asked about Smith. It may well be a headache Rivera didn’t want. The story of Smiths comeback is amazing, but it’s very debatable that many people want him here next year. In theory he may have another 3 years in the league. But here as Rivera’s #1. Tough to see that.

 

He would do a job, no doubt. But surely it’s just not where Rivera would like to head, I’m having a hard time seeing that. Plus the 20mil vet contract salary when we’ll retain Kyle Allen for a fraction of that. I would entertain the idea if he takes a 50% salary cut as long as we’d still draft a QB very early.
 

Any chance Smith generates low value trade interest in the offseason if he nets another couple of wins this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I kind of thought Rivera was fairly reserved, thats the wrong word, in his press conference assessment when asked about Smith. It may well be a headache Rivera didn’t want. The story of Smiths comeback is amazing, but it’s very debatable that many people want him here next year. In theory he may have another 3 years in the league. But here as Rivera’s #1. Tough to see that.

 

He would do a job, no doubt. But surely it’s just not where Rivera would like to head, I’m having a hard time seeing that. Plus the 20mil vet contract salary when we’ll retain Kyle Allen for a fraction of that. I would entertain the idea if he takes a 50% salary cut as long as we’d still draft a QB very early.
 

Any chance Smith generates low value trade interest in the offseason if he nets another couple of wins this year?


I wouldn’t have that tough of a time with it if I were you. 
 

If we’re not in position for Lawrence, Fields or Wilson it wouldn’t surprise me at all to be going into the season with Smith and Allen.

 

I’d rather finish paying Smith his contract than sign Dak for 30M off a very significant injury. 
 

And there’s not gonna be much else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...