Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virus and player reporting thread.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It does matter because when the season starts there's no way they'll be tested every day. 

Who knows, I thought the league was supposed to test everyday. If they don't when the season starts, the season is doomed anyways because now you're mixing players from all over the country together. 

It's highly likely that Ron Rivera is also a conservative. He's just not stupid enough to voice all that crap on Twitter like JDR. Once it starts effecting the team then it becomes a problem and should immediately be addressed by the team. I'm thinking Ron has already chatted with him since in that quick article JDR said "My views don't fall in line with my profession". Hopefully he learns and moves on. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's so disappointing. Really is a sky dive from high to low, but he needs to go.

I don't think you can, nor should you, fire anybody for their political beliefs if they are good a their job.  And by all account, JDR is good at his job. 

I want to quote the exact question and answer from JDR, because I think he answered it as well as he could have given his particular belief: (You have to be a subscriber to the Athletic to see it.  And, FWIW, it's worth the $2.99/month billed annually. The reporting is top-notch. So, there's my free advertisement, now I'm going to quote a couple salient points.)  

Question: The defense lost defensive tackle Caleb Brantley after he opted-out of the season because of COVID-19. He was officially designated as a “high-risk.” There are plenty of other players opting-out for other reasons. As a former player (Del Rio played 11 NFL seasons at linebacker), what do you make of a fair amount of players across the league opting out of the season? (Washington announced LB Josh Harvey-Clemons opted out of the season after this interview concluded.)

JDR: I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now. I think I’ll just leave it like that.

So, given the question, JDR had 3 choices:

1. Lie.  CLEARLY, and we know this from previous tweets and comments, he is not on board with players opting out.  So he could say he supports their decision, but in reality he doesn't, so it would be a lie.  

2. Tell the truth clearly and essentially call out the players who are opting out.  Say he doesn't believe players should opt out, there's nothing to see here, this is all hype, yadda yadda yadda, which is what we are led to believe based on his tweets he believes.  

3. Do what he did, which is essentially as close to a "no comment" as you can get when the question is phrased in the way it was phrased. Even if he had said, "No Comment" or "I really don't want to talk about that," it's basically the same answer with the same interpretation.  

Personally, I don't mind the way he answered the question.  I would have had a problem if he had gone with option 2.  If he had gone with option 1, I think it might have come off insincere. What he did is essentially say, "I have some unpopular views with people in my profession, they are my own, others are welcome to their views, let's leave it at that."

Which is exactly what he said later in the interview (which wasn't in the Yahoo piece, and I'll get to that in a minute) :

To that point of holding views, you have been outspoken on Twitter on a few political topics. What compelled you to speak out? And, as said in the previous response, since some of your views may go against the prevailing public stance with those in your profession, have you felt compelled to discuss any of your comments with your players? Is there any concern about misunderstanding the various points of view from all sides?

No, nothing there, really. I am open to discuss at any time with anyone my thoughts and respectfully have exchanges. It’s just not always possible in today’s environment. I think it’s important to be able to have your own opinion and respect for each other. People may have an opinion that is different than mine, which is okay. I’m okay with actually having a conversation about it with anyone, including my players.

You made some of these comments several weeks ago. Have you had any conversations with your players since then?

We haven’t had any close, individual time. It certainly hasn’t been part of any group setting. I don’t anticipate there being any, but I certainly would be okay if anyone felt the need.

I personally have no issue with anything he said above. Except for the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a respectful exchange of ideas on Twitter.  

This probably isn't the thread for it, but when JDR talks long-form, he comes across as personable and thoughtful.  When it's condensed to 126 characters, he comes off... differently. 

And FWIW, the Yahoo story didn't really do the interview justice.  I don't agree with JDR's politics, but that article was an attack piece. To me, regardless of which side of the spectrum you are on, that's wrong.  

(FYI I am trying REALLY hard to keep politics out of the stadium. I THINK I succeeded in this case.  It's tough because this is a WFT story which is intertwined with politics.  If anybody thinks this crossed too far over to politics in the stadium, let me know, I'll remove it.)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It actually sounds 180 degrees different than the JDR we've been hearing.

When have you heard him contain himself this much, on a political issue ?

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

(FYI I am trying REALLY hard to keep politics out of the stadium. I THINK I succeeded in this case.  It's tough because this is a WFT story which is intertwined with politics.  If anybody thinks this crossed too far over to politics in the stadium, let me know, I'll remove it.)

It's a very tough line to walk, to keep politics out of football, when a football issue is directly intertwined with politics.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is we're fine talking about it in the Stadium, as long as we don't interject our own personal politics into it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Who knows, I thought the league was supposed to test everyday. If they don't when the season starts, the season is doomed anyways because now you're mixing players from all over the country together. 

It's highly likely that Ron Rivera is also a conservative. He's just not stupid enough to voice all that crap on Twitter like JDR. Once it starts effecting the team then it becomes a problem and should immediately be addressed by the team. I'm thinking Ron has already chatted with him since in that quick article JDR said "My views don't fall in line with my profession". Hopefully he learns and moves on. 

I am willing to bet Ron is conservative in a lot of ways.  In the full interview, Jack seemed to indicate he hadn't talked to anybody.  That could be a lie.  I don't know if he would come out and say, "Yeah, Ron pulled me into his office and told me to shut the eff up."  :)

And Ron might be a conservative or a raging liberal, it's impossible to know.  I would tend to think he'd probably lean more conservative, but there's absolutely not way to tell.  He doesn't make it public.  

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It actually sounds 180 degrees different than the JDR we've been hearing.

When have you heard him contain himself this much, on a political issue ?

Have we heard him on his politics in any other medium than Twitter?  I ask this seriously.  I haven't.  

If you look at the full text of the responses I quoted above, that seems extremely measured and perfectly reasonable.  

Twitter just isn't that.  Shrug. 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a very tough line to walk, to keep politics out of football, when a football issue is directly intertwined with politics.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is we're fine talking about it in the Stadium, as long as we don't interject our own personal politics into it.

It's really hard.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am willing to bet Ron is conservative in a lot of ways.  In the full interview, Jack seemed to indicate he hadn't talked to anybody.  That could be a lie.  I don't know if he would come out and say, "Yeah, Ron pulled me into his office and told me to shut the eff up."  :)

And Ron might be a conservative or a raging liberal, it's impossible to know.  I would tend to think he'd probably lean more conservative, but there's absolutely not way to tell.  He doesn't make it public.  

Have we heard him on his politics in any other medium than Twitter?  I ask this seriously.  I haven't.  

If you look at the full text of the responses I quoted above, that seems extremely measured and perfectly reasonable.  

Twitter just isn't that.  Shrug. 

It's really hard.  

IF you want some insight into Ron's opinions on some of this stuff go back to his first press conference.   When he is asked how he feels about being a minority coach, or something like that, he ignores the question completely. You could take that how you will but to me it seemed like it was not something he was particularly interested in.

There is actually a term called "covid denier"?  is disagreeing with the politics of BLM hate speech too?

This is getting beyond ridiculous, is any opinion not sanctioned by the establishment a hate crime that people need to be fired for? 

I am officially more a fan of ron and JDR then ever.  I will watch this obsurdly politicized team in this obsurdly politicized sport just to support them now. I needed a reason anyways.

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Confused 1

The way JDR decided to answer that question makes him an asshole because while he technically is not voicing his unpopular and inapproproate opinions, he is actually passive-aggressively doing just that, by acknowledging that he will not be sharing those particular opinions for those reasons. 

It's like if someone said "hey Conn, you coach in a league where most of the players believe the sky is blue, but have been outspoken that you believe the sky is red, how is that effecting things?" And I responded "My views about the color of the sky are not compatible with the job I have in this league, so I will not be commenting on that".

It's pure bull****, obviously.

If you wanted an actual nothing-answer out of him that wasn't just more bait it would be this:

"I won't be talking about any players' private medical situations or decisions, that's for them to speak on, but I'd be happy to talk about anybody who is here at camp".

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The way JDR decided to answer that question makes him an asshole because while he technically is not voicing his unpopular and inapproproate opinions, he is actually passive-aggressively doing just that, by acknowledging that he will not be sharing those particular opinions for those reasons. 

It's like if someone said "hey Conn, you coach in a league where most of the players believe the sky is blue, but have been outspoken that you believe the sky is red, how is that effecting things?" And I responded "My views about the color of the sky are not compatible with the job I have in this league, so I will not be commenting on that".

It's pure bull****, obviously.

If you wanted an actual nothing-answer out of him that wasn't just more bait it would be this:

"I won't be talking about any players' private medical situations or decisions, that's for them to speak on, but I'd be happy to talk about anybody who is here at camp".

I just have to say this was a great read..punctuation where needed and all words spelled correctly..good on ya mate!!

I've defended jdr but things are getting outta line now..I'm hoping he dont get fired before start of season and the production(if good)on the field kinda quiets things down.

Edited by bakedtater1
33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I guess to me it’s a matter of degree, but since he’s already out out there he thinks not showing up is wrong, even your non-answer would (correctly) be interpreted as not having the players who opt out backs.  (Which is true.  He doesn’t.)

The only way he can actually avoid coming off as an ass is to say he respects the players decision and supports them.  And NOT say in the next breath he doesn’t agree with them.

But I just think for him that’s a lie.  It shouldn’t be, but it is.  Shrug.

So the issue I have is less with the way he answered the question to Standing and more the fact he previously made his position known, which, and this is my opinion, is reckless. 

Does that still make him an asshole? Maybe.  

I didn’t have a problem with this answer. I had a real problem with the June 23rd tweet and some of the other tweets precious to that.  But this quote to Standing, in context, I didn’t have an issue with.

Now, if you want to argue it’s all the same basic point and that makes him an ass hat for believing it, regardless of how he answers and individual question, I might agree with you in that topic. 

I still don’t think you can fire him for it, though. 

The only way JDR is not with the Redskins is one of two 2 things:

#1-  He gives us a ****ty defernse.

#2- The players refused to play under him.

I don't see either of those things happening.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The only way JDR is not with the Redskins is one of two 2 things:

#1-  He gives us a ****ty defernse.

#2- The players refused to play under him.

I don't see either of those things happening.

#3 Our D-line gets a Bazillion sacks and he gets offered a head coaching position and we let him walk. Not so far fetched to me. Our D sucked last yr and we still got a bunch of QBs to the ground.

Helps that we play in a division with Wentz and Jones. Really inflates the numbers.

I think Option 1 is very possible (Injuries, Covid, ect.), but I feel if option 2 was going to happen, it would already have gone down elsewhere. This guy’s mindset did not appear overnight. He is a known commodity and the players have yet to turn on him in the past.

It does not matter if they are off-planet, let alone off-base, he has a right to his own opinions. (I’m against his stances BTW) As long as he keeps his two halves separate (Redskins JDR and Personal JDR) were good. If he can’t:

Personally, that is an implosion I do not want to see. Zombie has enough rotten endings on his own body. He does not need to see another one from the team.  

JDR = really disappointing. Just shut up and coach man. Enough already, get off Twitter & stop doing interviews. "Better to keep silent an let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Ron may want to step in before JDR’s brand of keeping it real, goes terribly wrong. 

• Like 6

So JHC and Brantley are currently our only 2 opt outs? I haven’t seen much on that front from us...

For the record... Del Rio doesn’t have to agree with any player’s decision. That’s what makes America America... but the players also don’t have to care. And if I made the decision to opt out, and Del Rio didn’t agree, I’d put him in my personal “pay no mind” list for that issue and move on. 

People judge you all the time. Do what’s best for you and yours and move forward. As long as you can sleep on your decisions... that’s all that matters.

But it makes sense that Del Rio wouldn’t want guys he’s relying on to opt out. He doesn’t have to voice that, but he has. Choices. 

I’m not going to judge people for those kinds of things. It’s real unhealthy to get too caught up in that stuff in my opinion.

Be safe, look out for you and yours and do what’s best for you. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, KDawg said:

So JHC and Brantley are currently our only 2 opt outs? I haven’t seen much on that front from us...

For the record... Del Rio doesn’t have to agree with any player’s decision. That’s what makes America America... but the players also don’t have to care. And if I made the decision to opt out, and Del Rio didn’t agree, I’d put him in my personal “pay no mind” list for that issue and move on. 

People judge you all the time. Do what’s best for you and yours and move forward. As long as you can sleep on your decisions... that’s all that matters.

But it makes sense that Del Rio wouldn’t want guys he’s relying on to opt out. He doesn’t have to voice that, but he has. Choices. 

I’m not going to judge people for those kinds of things. It’s real unhealthy to get too caught up in that stuff in my opinion.

Be safe, look out for you and yours and do what’s best for you. 

Very well said sir..i like this post..yes only 2 opt outs so far..makes me wonder how many opt outs we would have if anyone was the coach besides Rivera..its almost as if the players wanna play for him

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

JDR = really disappointing. Just shut up and coach man. Enough already, get off Twitter & stop doing interviews. "Better to keep silent an let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Ron may want to step in before JDR’s brand of keeping it real, goes terribly wrong. 

We haven't seen the defense perform yet..

JDR=really disappointing? 

• Like 1

If a person is entitled to their opinion, they are also responsible for their opinion and making sure it is accurate and not stupid or harmful to other people.

JDR is a weak ass **** when it comes to character based on that interview with Ben Standig. He runs his mouth about how Tony Dungy preaches accountability and admitting when you were wrong and can be better and then completely dodges any accountability when Ben asks him about those dumbass tweets he made that were reacting to parody accounts/false information.

**** that guy.

• Like 2

@bakedtater1 That’s the point. He hasn’t done anything yet so focus on the task and not all this ancillary stuff. We didn’t sign him for any of this political talk.  Players talk and know what’s what, they won’t care if he comes correct on the field, but let there be problems and this can potentially pop back up again. I’d just course correct and focus on the task, a dominant D. If given the choice I doubt Ron likes any of it. He’s got all the right to speak his mind, just as people have all the right to take him to task for his quack retweet’s and allusions to pandemic denial. All of it is unnecessary imo. Focus on football JDR!

36 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Allen Hurns opts out for Miami. Probably wants to wait until Tua is the starter to get the FA money lol

Or maybe because he has a baby boy on the way?

This thread has a testy tone to it sheesh.  Be in lockstep or be gone.

Gimme a top 10 defense please coach.  

Here’s doubting they’ll even play rendering all this angst moot

I couldn't care less what JDR or anyone's political leanings or philosophies are. Just help the team perform and win games.

People in sports live in a bubble. It is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Jumbo locked this topic