Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virus and player reporting thread.

Just now, CurseReversed said:

Just curious but does anyone know if there have been any professional athletes in any of the major sports who have got very sick or died of covid?  I thought i remembered hearing  about someone in the MLB but I can't remember the name. 

Freddie Freeman from the Braves.  I think I read he was praying to not die at one point.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Freddie Freeman from the Braves.  I think I read he was praying to not die at one point.

Its crazy but I remember in December through february I had like 20 different people tell me they had got the worst flu of their life and that they thought they were going to die.  But since the covid crisis I dont know anyone.   Maybe some people had it here earlier then we thought and just thought it was the flu, and it actually was worse before it became big news. 

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Woh.  Anyone know if this team is doing something like that?

I am gonna assume most clubs are doing something similar to this. 

So, earlier today the NFL proposed one preseason game to the NFLPA. Tonight, they apparently make an offer to the NFLPA to play zero preseason games (which is what the NFLPA wanted in the first place). 

yup...looking like we’ll see no preseason games, which means another month longer of waiting to watch a football game.... UGGHHHHHH

Even with all the information about testing and quarantine, I have yet to see anything about further expanding rosters/practice squads. Has anyone heard anything about this, beyond the extra slots created in the new CBA?

You honestly have to expect to lose some players for various 2 weeks stretches to this thing, and if we only run out the traditional roster and practice squads, clubs can run out of bodies quick. Losing guys to both injury and Covid-19 means teams may be looking to pull guys off the street by week 3. Just imagine how our team would have looked just last season if we lost and extra 5 -7 player periodically. You might have seen your local bag-boy trying to run back kick-offs. Entertaining idea…. but ultimately ugly.

PointedAggravatingIberianemeraldlizard-s

I am confident owners would be against such a move but it would have overwhelming support from players. I honestly can’t imagine a quality product lasting very long if things stay as they are.

8 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

Its crazy but I remember in December through february I had like 20 different people tell me they had got the worst flu of their life and that they thought they were going to die.  But since the covid crisis I dont know anyone.   Maybe some people had it here earlier then we thought and just thought it was the flu, and it actually was worse before it became big news. 

Me. Came down with a cough in Feb. and lost sense of taste or smell. Knew it wasn't normal when I went to the gym next day, and by the time I was done, felt like I got hit by a bus. Felt like that for the next 3 days.

Couldn't breathe half the time, and coughing felt like there was lava in my throat. Lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks, and was chugging over the counter cold/flu meds, cough drops, and guzzling lemon green tea, using cold therapy to keep the fever down. It was diagnosed as "pneumonia/bronchitis," but they couldn't decide how to treat me, as my case seemed "strange."

Took about a month before I felt good just walking and driving. Took 5 for me to feel pretty decent. Took until a couple weeks ago to stop feeling abnormally winded during an exercise routine I've had for 10 years.

Wouldn't want any of our guys coming down with this. They'll live, but who the heck knows what the long lasting ramifications are for some. Lot of unknowns, still.

• Like 6

So based off the new Covid testing protocol, Training Camp for veterans won't officially start until August 1st. First test on the 28th, second test on the 31st. All players who test negative twice, allowed inside team facilities.

I'm curious what the NFL's plan is to maintain competitive fairness in the event a breakout occurs, which almost seems inevitable to me.

if 15 players from a team test positive for the week are they going to let them play if they feel up to it?

will they cancel the game?

will they make that team forfeit?

are they going to make vegas aware of sick or potentially sick players?

so many problems could arise from a competitive standpoint during the season

Posted (edited)

The NFL has added a temporary IR for those that test positive for Covid:

https://www.nfl.com/news/players-who-test-positive-for-covid-19-can-be-put-on-temporary-ir

The NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement on penalizing players that take part in activities that could expose them to Covid. 

"Should a player be found in violation of this new subset of COVID-19 driven rules, they could be subject to a fine, and would reportedly not be paid for any games missed if they test positive afterward."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-nflpa-enact-rule-prohibiting-certain-off-field-activities-with-stiff-punishment-for-violators-per-report/

Edited by clskinsfan
On 7/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, CurseReversed said:

That's interesting. My wife and i had the flu in January and i tell you i haven't had a fever like that ever up until that point. It lasted 3 straight days without breaking. Took pain pills and plenty water but it only would drop to around 99.4 for 3 days. 

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/07/minnesota-vikings-justin-jefferson-coronavirus-covid/

4 Vikings rookies, including their 1st rounder are on the Covid IR list...doesn't mean they have it, just means they're on it until tests come back (I think).

Rookies reported earlier, so if we have positives, or potential positives from the rookie class, wouldn't we know by now?

23 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/07/minnesota-vikings-justin-jefferson-coronavirus-covid/

4 Vikings rookies, including their 1st rounder are on the Covid IR list...doesn't mean they have it, just means they're on it until tests come back (I think).

Rookies reported earlier, so if we have positives, or potential positives from the rookie class, wouldn't we know by now?

I think it had to do with the Vikes head trainer testing positive for Covid and those players being in direct contact with him.

• Like 1

As a selfish fan of football I want there to be football, borderline need... and I was optimistic that the nfl and nflpa would come together and make it happen.

But then I saw the Marlins situation (as a yankee fan, I was terrified that they were following the Marlins into philly). Can you imagine if this happened to an nfl team? there are only 16 games, you can’t just replay/makeup games. You can’t have a  real prep week with a roster filled with replacement players. Combine that with all of the false negative tests that, I can’t see any way this season isnt doomed. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m coming to terms with the fact that there actually won’t be a season. If there is, it’ll have a bigger asterisk than Barry bonds.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, CTskin said:

As a selfish fan of football I want there to be football, borderline need... and I was optimistic that the nfl and nflpa would come together and make it happen.

But then I saw the Marlins situation (as a yankee fan, I was terrified that they were following the Marlins into philly). Can you imagine if this happened to an nfl team? there are only 16 games, you can’t just replay/makeup games. You can’t have a  real prep week with a roster filled with replacement players. Combine that with all of the false negative tests that, I can’t see any way this season isnt doomed. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m coming to terms with the fact that there actually won’t be a season. If there is, it’ll have a bigger asterisk than Barry bonds.

Yeah, I'm pretty much feeling the same.  At this point, I just hope we somehow end up with the #2 overall pick or better in 2021 if there's no season or only a partial one.

• Like 2

Opting out is actually a smart move for those who think that they may not make the roster. Lots of bubble players have all most no chance without a preseason. Opt out, get some guaranteed cash, have another crack in 2021.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Opting out is actually a smart move for those who think that they may not make the roster. Lots of bubble players have all most no chance without a preseason. Opt out, get some guaranteed cash, have another crack in 2021.

Could be the opposite though.  Even more young bubble players in 2021 with only 90 spots in training camp next year.  Decent chance a lot of young players never even get a normal shot.  Which isn't fair.  This whole situation sucks for the bubble guys.

Several bigger name Patriots players just opted out.

Patriots might not hit 10 wins for the first time since....this millennium?  They've been so good for so long it's unthinkable.

• Like 1
  • Jumbo locked this topic