Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heels Dug In Forever: Die Hard Fans and Snyder

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Yes, that’s been super annoying. I’m just over 3 hours from Dallas and it’s an easy trip and I like Jerryworld. But Thanksgiving isn’t not convenient (I’ve been twice on Turkey Day) and I never buy tickets in advance for any Redskin game played past mid November for obvious reasons. Been forever since we played them in Dallas in a random early to mid season slot. 

Yep, we'll make it happen. I'm in SW MO and have family in OKC so it's an easy trek for us as well. 

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

And thus, Dan Snyder has won.  You can do anything you want, to anyone, and be rewarded.

Kleese is not representative of the average fan, however.  Attendance has been falling for years.  What’s odd is if there is a season, games probably won’t be played in front of fans.  We won’t get to gauge how this will impact attendance.   Ratings will be interesting.  

I'm glad that Rivera commented on the situation when the story came out yesterday, and I'm sure Gibbs would've done the same thing if he was still here (he did handle the Sean Taylor tragedy well).  That said, there's only so much we should be asking Ron to do.  Our expectations for him should be to reinforce the proper conduct for his players, contribute to the roster building, and then coach the team to have them well prepared on Sundays, like Gibbs was. I don't think he should be worrying about whether the PXP/Redwolves Nation host is acting like a frat boy.

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

Snyder has failed spectacularly has an owner. He's never going to truly change. Deep down, he thinks he knows best and will always be like that. The Skins may have a random good year under his ownership, but the next dumpster fire will always be around the corner. At this point, you have to be a fool to expect anything else. I was a fool for a long, long time. So here's to enjoying the random decent year once in a while. That's all you can hope for until Snyder no longer owns the team.

Dan Snyder is a wealthy loser.

He was a winner in business. So he bought his favorite football team.

It must kill him that he immediately **** the bed. After seeing what kind of person he is for the past 20 years, I can't say that I feel bad for him one. little. bit.

Edited by michiskin
6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

By the way, just realized you posted/quoted me in the wrong thread lol...not sure how that happened.

Taking too long to read threads, switching back and forth and forgetting I had quoted something in a prior thread. Well, that and senility. 😑

• Haha 1

Nah I’m pretty much done. No Sunday ticket. No trying to find a lousy stream to watch.  Hardest part is deciding if I still visit ES or not. If Snyder leaves I’ll probably be back, who knows.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, The Sisko said:

The timing isn't the point. The difference in the tone of the two statements is what matters. They both pretty much said they weren't aware of what happened and it was regrettable. However, the Cuban statement expressed some level of disgust/regret while Snyder's was merely an anodyne exercise in keeping the opposition lawyers and the press at bay.

They're not mutually exclusive. It was/is a disgusting series of events and I wanted more, not because I wanted more of the behavior described, I just wanted enough to get Lord Farquaad gone and from what we know so far, we didn't get it.

The point is you shouldn’t need anything else...

this is really ****ing bad and not being taken seriously enough if he skates.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The point is you shouldn’t need anything else...

this is really ****ing bad and not being taken seriously enough if he skates.

It’s not enough if you can’t directly tie it back to Snyder; and the accusers seem to make a pretty clear point he wasn’t involved. If you set the precedent that an owner can lose his team for allegations of harassment made about members of his staff without the owners knowledge, then probably 75% of the league could likely be ousted. Unfortunately, the actions described in the article aren’t uncommon in any industry, especially one as male-dominated as an NFL team. Hopefully over time the more of this that comes to light, the more educated businesses become, and the more protocols are put in place to stop it. But individuals still have free will and you can’t constantly police everyone’s behavior and comments all the time— especially if the reports aren’t getting back to you. 

Now, if it was revealed that Snyder was informed of something and didn’t respond properly or outright covered it up? That’s a whole different story. 

36 minutes ago, kleese said:

It’s not enough if you can’t directly tie it back to Snyder; and the accusers seem to make a pretty clear point he wasn’t involved. If you set the precedent that an owner can lose his team for allegations of harassment made about members of his staff without the owners knowledge, then probably 75% of the league could likely be ousted. Unfortunately, the actions described in the article aren’t uncommon in any industry, especially one as male-dominated as an NFL team. Hopefully over time the more of this that comes to light, the more educated businesses become, and the more protocols are put in place to stop it. But individuals still have free will and you can’t constantly police everyone’s behavior and comments all the time— especially if the reports aren’t getting back to you. 

Now, if it was revealed that Snyder was informed of something and didn’t respond properly or outright covered it up? That’s a whole different story. 

Why do you keep taking up for this ****ty owner?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Why do you keep taking up for this ****ty owner?

You mistake “taking up” for not believing this is enough to force him to sell the team. 

If you are going to force a person to sell

his billion dollar business against his will it needs to be something incredibly egregious that has lasting damaging effects for his franchise/league. AND you better be able

to prove he was an active participant in whatever it was. Not that it was just lack of

institutional control.

His general incompetence as an owner isn’t enough to do that. Had the Post story included even just ONE piece of evidence linking him, I would sing a different tune. If there was just one email or text that can prove Dan knew and didn’t act, this would be different. 

If the NFL decided to use this as a way to oust him I wouldn’t complain at all. I don’t want him to be the owner. But in a vacuum, if you ask me, is this enough to force a sale? I don’t think so. And I bet pretty much every other owner will feel the same. If accusations of harassment without direct owner knowledge can cost you your team, there would likely be a LOT of nervous owners. Heck, maybe all of them.  

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1
On 7/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, kleese said:

Last week I made my first post on ES in about six months. That’s my defense mechanisms these days. I am fully able to basically shut the Redskins out during the off season and only pour deep energy into it from pre-season to season’s end. 

From the day Rivera’s first presser ended until last week, I rarely checked the boards and pay almost no attention to FA, draft, general news. I stay connected enough to know what’s going on, but it’s minimal. I watch other sports, focus on my other teams and other interests. And this year in particular I easily would have kept my “ignore” feature on until almost game 1 was it not for the name change and this latest story. That brought me in last week. 

In that post I questioned whether or not the name change could be the “move on” moment for me. It bugged me more than I thought it would. Probably because of HOW it’s going down more so than the fact that it IS going down. But that’s really a whole other conversation/debate. It stung me because of my personal history and memories of the team. It was a little more painful than I imagined it was going to be. And that led me to openly wonder if perhaps it could push me out. But deep down, not sure I was really being honest with myself. 

In the massive and highly entertaining thread from yesterday/today I posted a quote from a favorite movie of mine: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: 

“I-I could tolerate any, any insurance seminar, for days. I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can ya stand it?" And I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith.”

If you’ve seen the movie, you get it. And today I realized that this is where I am with this team and where I will always be. 

I am indestructible. There is literally no “move on” moment for me short of disbanding the franchise. I will survive. I can handle anything. I will outlast everyone. Even the owner. I was here before he was. When he’s gone I’ll either still be here or I’ll be six feet under. I wear it as a badge of honor now. I’ve done this my whole life. It’s brought me immense pleasure. Yes, even the miserable years have provided a level of entertainment/enjoyment that might border a bit on the demented side, but it remains still. 

I cast no judgement on other fans. If people bail altogether, I get it. If they scale back, I get it. In some ways I’ve done that myself. 

But I actually don’t have to harken back to 1991 to find WHY I still root for this team. Heck, I can just go back to last year. 

Yes, last year. 

The 2019 season is absolutely a bottom three season for me as a fan in terms of my enjoyment level. It sucked. 

But there was a moment. Week one at Philly, we lead 10-0. Keenum drops back and McLaurin is streaking wide open. Perfect pass, easy 75 yard TD. Well, I SHOT off my chair on the deck when I saw how open he was and I jumped and yelled when he crossed the goal line. It’s absolutely instinctive. In that moment did I suddenly think we were winning the Super Bowl? Uh, no. I wasn’t even convinced we’d win the game (smart move). But that sort of unplanned response is all I need. I woke up that morning; put my jersey on, set up food and drink and got the two TVs set up on the deck. My excitement level for the season was lower than normal for sure, but it was absolutely higher than if it was just a normal Sunday. The season itself quickly devolved into misery. But I mean it was just the year before that that the Redskins ruined my Thanksgiving once again. And you know what ruining Thanksgiving means? It means I still care. 

I guess I’m able to separate Snyder from my personal fandom. I think largely due to the fact that I really was doing this long before he arrived. I feel a stubborn ownership myself and have no intention of letting him or anyone else ruin the Redskins for me. 

So, I guess he can’t ruin the “Redskins” for anyone anymore. But I think it’s clear I’m not going anywhere regardless. 

I was hopeful like everyone else. That maybe this “bombshell” would be our Snyder-escape. Doesn’t look like that will be the case. The allegations are slimy and the dudes involved are super creeps and all deserve to be fired and out of the league (and probably out of a workplace setting) for good. But there isn’t any assault there. Nothing even criminal per se. It’s almost identical to the Dallas Mavs situation although probably not quite as bad because the execs in our case weren’t as high up as in Dallas and the allegations weren’t quite as gross/blatant. Even the accusers made it clear in our case Snyder was not involved and no one even implicated him in a cover up or intimidation or anything like that. So he’s guilty of not setting the culture properly and lacking oversight. Things we’ve known for 20 years. This is probably the most obviously embarrassing moment for him and the organization over that span, but it’s not a removable offense based on what is being alleged. 

So for about 24 hours I had the same hope many of you did. Maybe we’d all get our wish. But alas, this ain’t Disney and wishes don’t always come true. So for me, I soldier on. I continue to search for slivers of hope. 

My current silver is this:

From 2004-2007 the Redskins took a break from being a national joke. On the field things were decent to good and off the field there were no humiliations. No media leaks. No terrible stories. No accusations. No media rumors of chaos behind the scenes. Pretty boring, calm. Those years felt like a normal NFL team. It was the one period under Snyder where we had a proven leader and good man in charge with NO ONE between him and Snyder. That last part is the key. It was the one time in the Snyder era there wasn’t some sort of right hand man acting as an intermediary between the owner and the hands on leader. 

The situation now is much like 2004-2007. It is apparent that Snyder somehow has good relationships with people when he enters into that relationship with a personal lever of reverence or respect for that person. Gibbs and Rivera seem to fit that bill. Snyder seems to have horrible relationships with pretty much everyone else. 

But I firmly believe this is Rivera’s ship right now. And it REALLY will be now. I promise you Dan will be hiding in his yacht as much as possible. He hates facing the music/media and he knows he can’t run from this. If he shows his face he’s going to have to answer. Fingers will point. I think he was turning the keys over to Rivera anyway, but now he basically has no choice. Snyder is still there and as long as that’s the case it probably ultimately means bad things for us. But I do think the further he pushed into his hole, the better chance we have to succeed— or at least not be humiliating. 

I’m not sure if Rivera has the chops to change the culture AND turn around the on field product as well. That’s a monumental task. But I do believe he is legitimately a man of good character and integrity and he will clean up the behind the scenes BS. There is no Bruce or Vinny to undermine him. If Snyder has remaining lackeys in the organization I’m not sure who they would be. Now, will Rivera have the patience, tolerance, and energy to get through this mess, the virus mess, the social justice stuff, rebuilding a roster, etc?? Well, I certainly have my doubts about that. But I think he’s as good as anyone to try. 

Personally, I’m fine if the 2020 season evaporates. I’m pretty worn out by it all and a full year off from this football team wouldn’t bother me a bit. May very well be just what the doctor ordered for fans and the organization itself. Timing certainly seems good for that. So no, I am not itching with anticipation for week one this year. 

But... someday I will be. Maybe in September 2020 or maybe in September 2021. I’ll be there. I hibernate, but I never leave. They can’t smoke me out. If this is a game of chicken with Snyder, he will have to swerve first. He isn’t “duping” or tricking me. I know what this deal is. I know what I’m getting into. But I’ve dug my heels in. I still find the good in it. I still find the fun in it. I have to look harder now and some years it doesn’t last very long, but it remains. As do I. 

I would say Snyder is lucky to have me. But maybe that’s why this doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers some. I do not view this as HIS team. He doesn’t have ME. This is MY team. I promise you I know more about this organization than he does. I promise you I can rattle off specifics better than he can. He probably doesn’t even remember Romeo Bandison or why he SHOULD remember him. He can’t have that. I won’t give it to him. 

I’m 42 years old. I’ve been doing this as long as I can remember. Even in the lowest times being a fan of this team brings me some level of expression/passion/interest/enjoyment that is hard to explain. So let’s see what you got next Dan. If he ever accidentally gets it right, the rewards will be mine. 

Wow well said man. Well said. I can’t find it in me to leave either! I want to out of anger because we are changing the name but it won’t be the same! I honestly just want a great name to replace it because a lot of the stuff I am seeing I am not liking at all and it is truly upsetting!! The Sunday before the Monday they announced that they were retiring the name and logo I thought they were gonna change the name too I couldn’t sleep I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I have my heart in this team this team is in me I Love my Redskins. But I’m still undecided if I want to stay or leave! More than likely I’m gonna stay cause like I said I’m judging the situation out of anger!! Born and Raised a Skins fan followed after my dad. I was born 91 Super Bowl winning season baby!! 

I would have believed my fandom was indestructible, but if I'm being honest, Gruden/Allen eroded something. Last season, for the first time ever, I rooted against us winning. I wound up not watching games all the way through. I even skipped a game or two. I rallied a bit t the end. The rookies gave me something to cheer about and watching Haskins;, McClaurin's, and Simms' progress was hopeful, but the product, the ineptitude, and the spirit was so damn lousy that I just couldn't do it.

Interestingly, my morale improved once Gruden was shown the door. At least the team seemed to fight, but last season was such a lost season that it nearly lost me.

To me I've long gone past living and dying with who the coach is.  Coaches come and go.  They come here for their career to die typically.  And it's hard for me to believe that its a coincidence.  And if the coaches are the issue who then is the dude hiring these boobs?   

I was for example a mega critic of Bruce but who hired him?  Who kept him?  Who fired John Schenider and replaces then with Vinny Cerrato?  What owner seems to crave to have a friend who is a player on the team and not just once but repeatedly. 

The common denominator is Dan.  Dan has taken one of the most successful franchises in football which was known for competence and class and has made it into perhaps the least competent and classy organization in the NFL or if not at least top 3.

He's also helped make this team nationally irrelevant.  We are actually becoming a punchline on that front where i've seen now two national TV shows joke about hey we can talk about the Redskins but who cares about them?   We can't even get a Sunday Night game anymore and now its devolved into not getting a prime time game period.  We don't sell jerseys.  We don't pull ratings.  Is their a less sexy team in the NFL then the Redskins?

We are getting beating locally in the DMV market in TV ratings by other NFL teams.  Mired in some type of scandal almost every year.  Fans fleeing.

As Sheehan likes to say, Dan will be a textbook case for businesses marketers is to how to take a successful brand and destroy it.

The dude to me by a mile is the worst owner in the NFL.  2nd worst owner in sports.  

Now that I got the pessimism out of my system.  Here's what makes me optimistic. 😀

A.  I do like Rivera a lot and Kyle Smith

B.  I got the vibe that Dan has the emotional makeup of a 14 year old.  And to that point, I do think there is a chance that since he's impressionable that Rivera's class might rub off on Dan.

C.  I am not one of the people who believes this team can never win under Dan.  That's not a complement to Dan but I do believe you can get lucky and transcend a bad owner.

D.  As a fan i can divorce myself from Dan on gameday and enjoy the game.  Root for the players.  

My main point of optimism is oddly I do think Dan's behavior might ultimately do him in where he's forced to sell the team or wants to sell.    It might not be this story.  Maybe its something else.  But if this team continues to have the convergence of fans checking out (costing Dan some money and bringing some embarrassment) and angry fans pushing him to go -- then it might ultimately go down.   Some would say previously, Bruce would never leave. And fans were wasting their time with the fire Bruce movement.  Clearly, they were wrong.

Getting an owner to sell granted is a much bigger hurdle.  I just wonder how much humiliation can one dude endure?  As Sheehan likes to say Dan is probably the most hated public figure in DC, and that's not as easy accomplishment. 

As a fan, I can compartmentalize the ownership when I am watching football.  I still got plenty of passion for the team. But as a passionate fan, I feel compelled to speak out about what I don't like versus just accept it and roll with the punches.  The opposite of love is indifference.   Dan needs fans like us who are angry.  It's probably the bulk of the fan base left.  The homers about ownership are far and few.  The indifferent ones are already gone.  I'd argue the bulk of his fan base is somewhat fueled by some anger about how he's run the team.   

I know some homers over the years were especially bothered by the critics.  And to each their own on that.  But for my taste the critics are great fans.  They still stick with team and also take the time to voice what they don't like and want to change.   If these people jump ship from the team, then Dan loses most of his fan base left.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

For 20 years fans prayed for Snyder to be hands off and to let the football guys do their job.  Now he is criticized for not monitoring the behavior of overgrown boys.  I have a problem with the typical thought process in the media:

"If he wasn’t aware of the behavior, he was negligent. If he was, he wilfully ignored it. He may not have participated in it, but given how long the culture was allegedly in place, he should have known about it and tried to put a stop to it. Simply put, it’s his responsibility as owner to do so."

He is guilty your honor!!!  We say so.  Did anyone bring it to his attention?  There are no allegations but he's still guilty.  Tar and feather the guy because we hate what he did to the franchise.    

Edited by PlayAction
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, PlayAction said:

For 20 years fans prayed for Snyder to be hands off and to let the football guys do their job.  Now he is criticized for not monitoring the behavior of overgrown boys.  I have a problem with the typical thought process in the media:

"If he wasn’t aware of the behavior, he was negligent. If he was, he wilfully ignored it. He may not have participated in it, but given how long the culture was allegedly in place, he should have known about it and tried to put a stop to it. Simply put, it’s his responsibility as owner to do so."

He is guilty your honor!!!  We say so.  Did anyone bring it to his attention?  There are no allegations but he's still guilty.  Tar and feather the guy because we hate what he did to the franchise.    

The owner is responsible for setting the culture of the franchise. You think Bisciotti would let this crap fly in Baltimore? Or the Rooneys in Pittsburgh?

Hey may not have directly known about it, but he empowered the people that did it. They knew they could because they were buddies with the boss.

• Like 1

Your first paragraph is a false equivalency.  Hands off for football guys doesn't include tolerating a toxic atmosphere in the workplace.  At least it shouldn't. 

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of "the buck stops here"? It's his, he owns it. .. anything that goes wrong is on him.  He is payed very handsomely for that responsibility. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

he empowered the people that did it. They knew they could because they were buddies with the boss.

Show me your evidence.  Up to now it's only guilt by association.  Why did the beat reporters never say anything?  They knew all the characters involved.  How could they not know if this stuff was happening for five years?  You might as well throw them into the deep end while you are at it because it's hard to imagine that no one was aware.  I'm surprised none of this surfaced during cheerleader-gate.

2 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Hands off for football guys doesn't include tolerating a toxic atmosphere in the workplace.  At least it shouldn't. 

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of "the buck stops here"? It's his, he owns it. .. anything that goes wrong is on him.  He is payed very handsomely for that responsibility. 

Tolerating implies that you know it's going on.  That's an entirely different story but no one has made that allegation.  President Truman said "the buck stops here" because the one who makes the decisions has to accept responsibility for the results.  The saying is usually applied to the chief executive rather than an owner because ownership delegates decision making power to the chief executive officer.     

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Show me your evidence.  Up to now it's only guilt by association.  Why did the beat reporters never say anything?  They knew all the characters involved.  How could they not know if this stuff was happening for five years?  You might as well throw them into the deep end while you are at it because it's hard to imagine that no one was aware.  I'm surprised none of this surfaced during cheerleader-gate.

Its tough to prove what Snyder knew about all this, but something mentioned in the WaPo story that will need to be addressed is a lack of a robust HR team within the organization. This goes back to what Czaban was harping on yesterday on his show......while Dan is willing to spend money on players and coaches, he seems to be very cheap when it comes to other areas of the organization.

As far as the media, Harrison Weinhold (@RadioHarrison) has been lambasting them on Twitter over the past week, saying they knew about this stuff but kept it quiet so as not to lose sources.  I'm looking forward to the story he says he is putting together for the Daily Caller, and it appears that he isn't going to spare Dan. 

8 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Just stop. You know good and well the issue here isn’t whether he’s hands on/off or monitoring anyone’s behavior. It’s about the lack of any kind of management acumen and being a greedy, skinflint in most areas of running the team. The evidence was in the story. A one person HR Dept.? For an organization of that size and complexity? Seriously? I’m no MBA but this is patently stupid, parsimonious and plain negligent. So, the solid conclusion I can draw about this is that he either knew/participated, is an extreme simpleton or simply didn’t care what would result from this kind of mismanagement. Whether he personally knew of any of these events, we really can’t say. However, in terms of evaluating him as an owner and as a person, it’s immaterial. Based on almost everything we’ve seen pretty much from the beginning with how he fired Norv, we can say Snyder is toxic gobbidge. Straight gobbidge. Other than being lucky enough to cash out of the dot com boom/bust at just the right point, everything he’s touched has turned to crap, our football team being Exhibit A. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thanks 2

Snyder isn’t a real fan. Snyder is more a fan if owning the team.  See, I am the big bad owner if the Washington Redskins. I get to hang out with big star football players. I have stars sit in my owners box.

He basically destroyed the team and killed off a generation of fans. The Skins are probably 3rd at best and probably lower in the DC area.

He probably won’t any fans left after us old timers still here, despite all this ****; die off.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick it out and see what happens, rooting for another team is not an option, its not in my DNA to just switch to another team but I could see myself not watching games in a year or two if things don't change.

Daily fantasy has been the best part of my Sundays for a few years now so I can still enjoy the game without being a fan of a specific team.

I do think that although it would be unprecedented, that it could easily be proven that Dan has been detrimental to the franchise, the city of DC, the fans, and the NFL.

The supporting data is there and it really wouldn't be that difficult to make a case.

People will never like Dan so his only hope of holding onto this team is to win and do it soon, otherwise I think the mounting hate and pressure makes him eventually sell the team, it may be 5 years but that's how I see this evolving.

Three to five more years of sub par growth, hideous attendance, and possibly dwindling sponsorships will eventually break him down. 

You need advice? lol.  Snyder is at redskins park every damn day.  I mean look at his persona.  He makes people older than him call him Mr. Snyder.  What kind of asshole does that.  He's a billionaire with no self-esteem and the only friend he has is his money. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

You need advice? lol.  Snyder is at redskins park every damn day.  I mean look at his persona.  He makes people older than him call him Mr. Snyder.  What kind of asshole does that.  He's a billionaire with no self-esteem and the only friend he has is his money. 

Do you have knowledge that Snyder is at Redskins Park every day?  I don't personally know one way or the other, but I would be very surprised if that were true.  I would doubt that many NFL owners spend a whole lot of time at the team offices.  Maybe Jerry Jones does, since he made himself the GM, but I don't believe many others spend a lot of time at the team facility.

I think Snyder is a poor owner, perhaps the worst in all of sports, but not because he expects to be addressed as "Mister Snyder."  I don't think that it is nearly as unusual for corporate CEO's or owners to be addressed as "Mister", "Mrs.", or "Ms." as you make it out to be.  It seems to me, in fact, that that would be the norm, and it is less common for those in such a position to insist on informality when addressing them.  Age isn't really the factor.  There's a lot not to like about Dan Snyder - a long list.  However, the way that he is addressed isn't on that list for me.

Honestly don't know how someone can still be even half the fan with the name changing. Only thing keeping me a die-hard was the history and nostalgia. I mean I'll keep tabs and maybe go to a game when I get a free ticket someone can't even give away, but I'll barely care. I guess being honest I barely cared over the past several years anyways. But take that apathy and double it, that's how much I'll care about the redwolves or whatever the new team is called.