Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With what looks like a complete overhaul how will your fandom change?


Recommended Posts

On 7/18/2020 at 2:05 AM, Kosher Ham said:

 

Yes. Look at the eighties to start with. 

 

Also, how many rings did cowher and tomlin win in the last ...how many years? 

 

Yes, the Steelers were down in the 80s while the Skins were up.

 

But since 1992, when Cowher was hired and Gibbs retired:

 

In 28 seasons, the Steelers have been to the playoffs 18 times, been to 9 conference championship games, won 2 out of 3 Super Bowls, and only had 3 losing seasons.

In 28 seasons, the Redskins have been to the playoffs 6 times, been to ZERO conference championship games, and had 16 losing seasons.

 

Since 1992, the Skins have been in the same sinking boat as the Browns, Lions, and Bills. Maybe the Jets too.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

If there ever was a time to jump ship its now.  But I can't. How does one just up and leave and decide to pick a new team?  It has to happen organically I think.  My wife who Ive been complaining to a lot lately and over the past 25 years of marriage about the "Skins" suggested I find a new team.  Sounds like a great idea but I can't. I just can't.  Im to invested into something I can't even explain.  I live in Idaho why do I feel I must stay with this team?

 

I guess it comes down to the history/tradition still even though a big part of it has been ripped away..  I don't see going somewhere else and somehow abandoning my interest in Chase, Terry, Jonathan, etc.. etc.   If I go Ill be leaving the NFL and won't be just jumping on with a new team.  

I want so bad to leave... yet I check here daily, multiple times a day. I have for 16 years. I've loved this stupid ****ing **** show of a ****ing football team since I can remember. How can you just pick a team and have anything like what I've had all these years, ****ty football and all? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok than...I feel this is a good place to ask this... a lot of you folks have seen me asking people that say they're done with this team now if they will still come here.

 

I am not calling anyone out, trolling or whatever ya call it. Why would you continue to come here?.. a lot of people have known each other for a long time and tailgate and hang out and this is a way they communicate and that's completely respected and I see how that would be a reason for people to come back here even though they're done with the Washington football team.

 

But if you throw in the towel and quit rooting for this team which everyone has every right of course but choose to continue to come here to...hang out?..cause it's social media and it makes ya feel more comforting would you feel at ease picking up that towel asking can I be a fan again if the new team takes off and starts winning again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will continue to wear my old Skins stuff.  Not sure how many games I will watch this year.  For years my Sundays were reserved for football and winning was awesome.

Now I will be curious how they will do and I expect severe growing pains with new coaching staff and inexperienced players.  Not sure Turner is a good offensive coordinator

either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, its not a complete overhaul.  Its a coat of paint on not much really changing.  If we all take a step back we can see what this really is: Dan Snyder yet again throwing a shiny new coat of paint on his franchise in an effort to distract fans to the fact that still nothing has changed and it wont.  It used to be the new QB.  Or the new expensive FA signing.  Or the new college superstar coach.  Every year we said "Dont get too excited, its going to be another year of Dan Snyder" and he always manages to distract enough, and get hopes up enough.  We all want to hope that finally things are about to turn around.  But this year is the ultimate Dan Snyder distraction ploy to get whats left of the fanbase to hope again.  They look at it and see "Its an overhaul, its completely fresh, new, potentially exciting", though ultimately many will be pushed away by the last vestiges of what they cared about being striped away.  If you take away the history, the songs, the beloved winning past which was the only thing propping up the franchise, all you are left with now is the dead skeleton of the last 20 years under Dan Snyder and how few people care about the current team for itself.

 

Dan Snyder still runs the dysfunctional organization that up until 2 weeks ago still employed the horrible executives that have been a big part of its downfall, and are now replaced with last second desperation hires to look good, including his right hand man for 20 years running the ship.  This isnt a new book.  This isnt even a new chapter.  This is just the climax near the end of the current chapter, where the antagonist desperately throws all hes got at the heroes.  My famdom wont change from indifference until something really and truly changes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Done with it all....Politicization of the game, the kneeling....My team doesn't exist anymore....Players come and go but the name has remained for over 80 years...The iconic  name and logo are gone....No more Cowboys vs Redskins every year....I will be looking for other things to do on Sundays this fall...Best Wishes to all of you...Hail To The Redskins RIP

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, I'm going to tune out even more... Honestly, my patience with this franchise ended the day RGIII broke his leg. I've always hated Dan Snyder. He is the smallest, most thin-skinned man in existence and I can't think of a more accurate cartoonish caricature of an evil billionaire than him. I hope COVID is destroying him in the "asset rich, cashflow poor, highly leveraged" way only a rich person can suffer during a crisis like this.

The only way I will ever care about the NFL again is if they take active steps to make meaningful change that will look after the well-being of the players. Joe Gibbs, a man of integrity, has had the right idea with looking after ex-players interests. The whole league is sick and needs some serious reform at some point soon if the sport of gridiron football is going to survive beyond the next 30 years. The peewee game is dying thanks to the founded health concerns of parents and this will be a disaster for the sport at all levels in the coming decade as the top athletic talent goes to other sports (which, to be honest is absolutely fine with me as I love the Nats, the Caps, and DC United a lot more).

Now that I live overseas, it's a lot easier to ignore this club. I've been embarrassed by this team and being associated with it as people who know me from before 2013 are aware of how much of a fan I was of the Redskins. Nothing but hostility and ridicule, and for what? Vague memories of my folks fondly recalling super bowl victories that happened either before my time or in my infancy? That's all I can think of at this point. I love Joe Gibbs and his teams and I didn't even get to experience the heyday, only the echo.

I hope the team picks something classy and simple like Washington Football Club and really takes a hard look at how the operation is handled from top to bottom. The cheerleader incident, even though it happened after I tuned out in 2014, absolutely disgusted me on top of every other stupid, pathetic thing Dan Snyder has been responsible for. This organization, and the NFL in general, really needs to think about how it wants to position itself heading into the 2030s, because with the way things are today, I just can't be a party to any of this. The fact I'm still posting after all these years? I guess I hope there's a chance we can all get back to some semblance of the game that was... I still have some hope, but not much.

I wish all of you the best in rooting for this team, we've all been through so much and I appreciate every single one of us fans, because to me this is a lot more about local pride in the DMV than anything else. No matter where I live, DC will always be my city and Virginia my home.

Hail.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Honestly, its not a complete overhaul.  Its a coat of paint on not much really changing.  If we all take a step back we can see what this really is: Dan Snyder yet again throwing a shiny new coat of paint on his franchise in an effort to distract fans to the fact that still nothing has changed and it wont.  It used to be the new QB.  Or the new expensive FA signing.  Or the new college superstar coach.  Every year we said "Dont get too excited, its going to be another year of Dan Snyder" and he always manages to distract enough, and get hopes up enough.  We all want to hope that finally things are about to turn around.  But this year is the ultimate Dan Snyder distraction ploy to get whats left of the fanbase to hope again.  They look at it and see "Its an overhaul, its completely fresh, new, potentially exciting", though ultimately many will be pushed away by the last vestiges of what they cared about being striped away.  If you take away the history, the songs, the beloved winning past which was the only thing propping up the franchise, all you are left with now is the dead skeleton of the last 20 years under Dan Snyder and how few people care about the current team for itself.

 

Dan Snyder still runs the dysfunctional organization that up until 2 weeks ago still employed the horrible executives that have been a big part of its downfall, and are now replaced with last second desperation hires to look good, including his right hand man for 20 years running the ship.  This isnt a new book.  This isnt even a new chapter.  This is just the climax near the end of the current chapter, where the antagonist desperately throws all hes got at the heroes.  My famdom wont change from indifference until something really and truly changes.

Actually, I think most fans aren't going to stomp out in a huff the way some have said they are in this thread. Instead, I think like me, most of us have low-key left already. I still care about the team a little, but I'm not really tied to it anymore and partly as a result, I'm not tied to the NFL very much either. I pretty much just manage and root for my fantasy team every year and that's about it. I don't even need to watch the games for it to be enjoyable. My wife and daughter are happier to not be NFL widows for a few months out of the year and in some ways, I am too.

 

Now, I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it, but I guess it's sorta like your first real love. She may have screwed you over in a thousand different ways but you know you'll always love her. It's just that at some point you finally accepted the fact that she's no good for you, it's never going to work no matter how much effort you put into it and continuing to try is just adding needless suffering to your life.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I come back occasionally for updates, but I'm done. And that bothers me because I was a fan in 1980, rode the good times of the 80s and crappy times of the last 20-some odd years. I'm from illinois, no identity to the DC area. I was hanging on by a string through the Bruce and Dan management but the politicizing of the whole thing and finally some other name did it for me. I haven't been here much for a couple years but I'll rarely come back now. It sucks. I joined this board in 2003, but whatever.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I can't predict how I'm going to respond from here on.

I won't know, until they take the field. and see how that makes me feel.

I mean, we've never been through this type of conversion in our lifetimes. It's unprecedented.

We've seen a carousel of coaches, players, etc. But never a recycling of the name.

I will find out soon, if I was a fan of the team, or the name.

I'm guessing I'll find out, that I was and am, a fan of the team, by any other name.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had lived in Virginia for 25 years, moved to Florida about 5 years ago and switched to following Tampa. That's simply because I enjoy going to games, being a part of a fan base, and I have no plans to ever return to Virginia. This was also right after the Shanahan shenanigans and I was questioning whether I even wanted to follow an organization ran by the kind of people with the character the news articles were claiming at the time. 

 

I had started over the past year or so wanting to watch Redskins games again, kind of like a "homesick" thing of rooting for them as a "secondary" team, though I don't really believe in that sort of thing. I think you've got to be all or nothing fan-wise. 

 

That being said, changing the name, politics aside, I won't be angry but I won't follow them any more. The only thing that ties me to this team is nostalgia and when that's gone it's all gone. I would think anyone who isn't local will feel that way. 

Edited by Son of Gadsden
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not local, have never been local, don't feel that way. Did not live through the glory years (I'm 31 now). Have never been attached to the location (though visiting DC has been fun, it's been a good excuse) and became unattached to the name in the last few years. I root for the team because I grew up with my dad rooting for them, and I really didn't have a choice before it was too late and I was sucked in, despite living in Patriots country. So I can thank my father for missing out on a ton of Superbowls I guess lol. It's a difficult relationship that I've mostly cut off in recent years, and simultaneously I went from seeing this team as the one thing we had in common to the one miserable thing still tethering me to a toxic person. So I take a bit of perverse pleasure in the name changing now (in addition to all my other more legitimate reasons to support the change), it allows me to mentally separate the two eras of this team I will have experienced and make this 2.0 version my own. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they keep no name I'll stick, as that means they are still the Redskins (Pretty sure most will think this). If they decide to get a new name and it cannot be linked to the Redskins (imo Braves or Warriors might, Might, work for me) I'll definitely be gone.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nonniey said:

As long as they keep no name I'll stick, as that means they are still the Redskins (Pretty sure most will think this). If they decide to get a new name and it cannot be linked to the Redskins (imo Braves or Warriors might, Might, work for me) I'll definitely gone.

 

Totally support your right to see it this way, but it seems like hanging on for one more year just because it's not named yet would just drag out the pain one more season, right? One more year to get invested in the younger guys, one year to see how Rivera and his staff may lead this team, etc. Just seems like it would make it harder when the time comes, and all on the technicality that they haven't fully replaced the dead name yet. Which they will. 

 

Or maybe that one season can be closure, what do I know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It no longer exists because the team itself no longer exists.  Very simple.


And...  How does one change the avatar image used for one’s profile?  Can’t seem to find a way to edit it.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by ARParr_72
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Totally support your right to see it this way, but it seems like hanging on for one more year just because it's not named yet would just drag out the pain one more season, right? One more year to get invested in the younger guys, one year to see how Rivera and his staff may lead this team, etc. Just seems like it would make it harder when the time comes, and all on the technicality that they haven't fully replaced the dead name yet. Which they will. 

 

Or maybe that one season can be closure, what do I know. 

Hope is all I have when it comes to the Redskins right now.  The chance that a new name will be picked in the future is not 100%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Hope is all I have when it comes to the Redskins right now.  The chance that a new name will be picked in the future is not 100%.

 

It is I would say, they've been very clear about that. No way they take all that time to work on it and keep no name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 7:24 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not local, have never been local, don't feel that way. Did not live through the glory years (I'm 31 now). Have never been attached to the location (though visiting DC has been fun, it's been a good excuse) and became unattached to the name in the last few years. I root for the team because I grew up with my dad rooting for them, and I really didn't have a choice before it was too late and I was sucked in, despite living in Patriots country. So I can thank my father for missing out on a ton of Superbowls I guess lol. It's a difficult relationship that I've mostly cut off in recent years, and simultaneously I went from seeing this team as the one thing we had in common to the one miserable thing still tethering me to a toxic person. So I take a bit of perverse pleasure in the name changing now (in addition to all my other more legitimate reasons to support the change), it allows me to mentally separate the two eras of this team I will have experienced and make this 2.0 version my own. 


Same age and if I didn’t grow up in a hardcore DC sports family outside of DC I would have checked out years ago.  I got so tired of hearing about the glory days.  I’d always be looking like we had glory days (Of course I knew we did. I’m just being sarcastic.)?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I was young during our last Super Bowl, I have a lot of fond memories of the team.  My uncle played and coached for the team, and caught a couple TD passes from Sammy Baugh.  I went to games at RFK and the beginning of Fed Ex with my family and have loads of memories.  I went with another uncle in the mid 2000's and got close to him before he passed away because of this.  I got my own tickets in 2015 and have taken many friends to see their first NFL games.  I originally got tickets because I did not think I would go to DC or VA if they moved out of Maryland.  Heck I am even proud to say I've survived Snyder to this point.

 

However, my apathy is at an all-time high with how the Bruce Allen tenure ended.  I am also not a fan of the Rivera hire, and feel we are making a big mistake involving him in the front office and even some business-side items like the name.  It seems that he is Snyder's new BFF, which is not the role he needs to be in.  

 

With the name change and the possibility that all of our history could be wiped out, I just don't know if I will continue to root for the team anymore.  I will give it a year to see how I feel, but if I had to make a decision based off how I feel now, I am leaning towards not returning as a fan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

It is I would say, they've been very clear about that. No way they take all that time to work on it and keep no name.

 

I'm thinking that whatever hard work there is doesn't really come into play until they pick a new name, 

 Apparently there was never any consideration given to changing colors, according to Terry Bateman. So we're basically talking a probable new name and logo,but I have no idea how long it would take to implement once that choice is made.

I have to agree with nonniey, though. While the probability on a new name may be extremely high, I don't think it's 100%, and it's at least possible Snyder and Bateman are giving this a two-season test run to see how fans respond while at the same time listening to new ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Totally support your right to see it this way, but it seems like hanging on for one more year just because it's not named yet would just drag out the pain one more season, right? One more year to get invested in the younger guys, one year to see how Rivera and his staff may lead this team, etc. Just seems like it would make it harder when the time comes, and all on the technicality that they haven't fully replaced the dead name yet. Which they will. 

 

Or maybe that one season can be closure, what do I know. 

 

For me, it could be closure, or it could be a more gentle ramp towards whatever comes next.  I will say, the players this year will have no bearing either way on whether I continue on into 2021, because until a guy has played his career through, you can't know who are "ours", and until that point, between seasons, it's just business.  For example, I don't see why anyone would think we'd be able to keep the younger guys who are good beyond their rookie deals, we can't even lock up the OK ones.  And ultimately, if talented collections of players are what attracts someone to a team, there's probably 29+ better options.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...