Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Keim Twitter: Larry Michael Retiring

If you look to the right while on The Stadium page, you'll see an ES page with a bunch of reliable reporters saying the same thing, don't wanna make it out to be a Keim exclusive.

I know he's no Herzog, but Larry was always the nicest guy in the room when I got to cover games.  I'm more disappointed that he's gone than I thought I would be.

Things to unnecessarily read into:
1)  A lot of talk that something big is going to drop tomorrow, so is this separating himself from the team ahead of time?

2)  Nothing, I just wanted to pluralize "Thing"

Edited by NewCliche21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A homer of homers, Im sure he was a nice guy, but couldnt stand listening to him and would turn him off when he started with another "The 0-7 Redskins are going to beat the 6-1 Patriots this week by 20 points".  Curious timing, figured he would always be the team mouthpiece.

• Haha 1

As a fan, I've always thought if this team ever wanted to get serious about changing the culture, they needed to fire Larry Michael.  He personifies the small-time culture that has engulfed the team since Dan bought it.  Homerism and overconfidence against all odds.  Borderline unprofessional.

This is potentially exciting news.

• Like 3

Larry was bigger friend to ES then 99% of you will ever know. 

And I understand the hate for "TV Larry". It's a shame you didnt get to see/know "Actual Larry" like @NewCliche21 @KDawg & some others here did.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I wasn't a fan of his play by play, but I do appreciate his dedication to the franchise. Definitely wishing him the absolute best!

Same here. I don't think he was a great play by play guy, but I've never heard a bad thing about him as a person from those I know who have met him. Seems like a legitimately good dude. I wish him well too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think its just the notion of getting paid to be a propagandist for an organization or cause without the ability to be publicly honest is what irks me in general. In that respect, Larry is just like the folks on the various cable news networks, which I don't watch either. It'll be interesting to see who they select for the new PBP guy. Wonder if Buchhantz would want it. 

Just now, hail2skins said:

I think its just the notion of getting paid to be a propagandist for an organization or cause without the ability to be publicly honest is what irks me in general. In that respect, Larry is just like the folks on the various cable news networks, which I don't watch either. It'll be interesting to see who they select for the new PBP guy. Wonder if Buchhantz would want it. 

Buck is too old, unfortunately. 

Something definitely not right with this. Larry was full of himself. If he was ready to retire he would have finished out the year or decided to do so last year and would have made a big deal about it. Where ther is smoke, there is fire.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

Something definitely not right with this. Larry was full of himself. If he was ready to retire he would have finished out the year or decided to do so last year and would have made a big deal about it. Where ther is smoke, there is fire.

Based on what, man?  Based on what?

I'm a nobody among a lot of somebodies in the press box once a year, and Larry still takes all the time in the world to talk to me.  I'm not WP or SI or ESPN; I'm just a guy and Larry was really easy to talk to, never felt I was wasting his time.  He had an emotional attachment to the team and he wasn't paid based on our W/L record.

Say what you want about the stuff he was paid to say, the guy himself was good people.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Based on what, man?  Based on what?

I'm a nobody among a lot of somebodies in the press box once a year, and Larry still takes all the time in the world to talk to me.  I'm not WP or SI or ESPN; I'm just a guy and Larry was really easy to talk to, never felt I was wasting his time.  He had an emotional attachment to the team and he wasn't paid based on our W/L record.

Say what you want about the stuff he was paid to say, the guy himself was good people.

Met Larry in the press box before the last preseason game back in 2011 when I was lucky enough to help Murph cover a game.

Super nice, chatted us up, no arrogance.

Met him at Tysons another time, same experience. Just an ordinary down to earth guy.

• Like 3

I've met Larry before. Great guy. Made me sorry for all the hate he's received, although I understand the sentiments. That said, who knows what's forced this? I agree that him retiring just before training camp starts is odd. And he isn't that old, either. Being the PBP guy for the team is an AWESOME job. Could be just a personal life choice. Could be something more, But timing is everything. And this timing is odd to say the least.

• Like 2

The timing suggests that either:

1. He's involved in whatever bombshell is coming out tomorrow, or

2. Whatever's coming out is so bad it'll force an ownership change. No way a new owner keeps Larry.

I remember pre-Redskins when he was the manager at WJFK. Don and Mike would have him on their show and give him all kinds of grief, and he always had a good time with it.

I didn't think he was good at play-by-play, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it's not going to amount to a lot overall if the head of the tick is left inside the skin. And you know exactly who I mean. I can only hope this is signaling the end of the Snyder era. Otherwise, expect more of the same, just with different names. That's what we've seen throughout his ownership. 

I have to admit, though. Every year, I think it can't get any worse than the previous year. Why do I keep thinking that? 

• Like 1