Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Keim Twitter: Larry Michael Retiring

NewCliche21

56 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Based on what, man?  Based on what?

I'm a nobody among a lot of somebodies in the press box once a year, and Larry still takes all the time in the world to talk to me.  I'm not WP or SI or ESPN; I'm just a guy and Larry was really easy to talk to, never felt I was wasting his time.  He had an emotional attachment to the team and he wasn't paid based on our W/L record.

Say what you want about the stuff he was paid to say, the guy himself was good people.

I believe that he is a good person because I have heard plenty of examples similar to yours. I also believe he took himself and his position to seriously because I have heard that from others as well. There is no way he would want to voluntarily go out and retire this way. 

1 hour ago, TK said:

Larry was bigger friend to ES then 99% of you will ever know. 

And I understand the hate for "TV Larry". It's a shame you didnt get to see/know "Actual Larry" like @NewCliche21 @KDawg & some others here did.

Meet him at Richmond TC one year, good people's.

Its turning into straight Ragnorak round here, GD.

7 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

I believe that he is a good person because I have heard plenty of examples similar to yours. I also believe he took himself and his position to seriously because I have heard that from others as well. There is no way he would want to voluntarily go out and retire this way. 

All right, just gonna have to agree to disagree.  It's not like I can debate with you what you've heard from others.

It does seem abrupt, and while I try to filter out background noise about the story dropping tomorrow, it's hard to not let that permeate.

Very nice man - met in person a couple times.  Loved his attitude and him as a person.  Didn't always like his on air persona... Either way probably good for a fresh start.  

And timely since the name change is coming and there is some huge mysterious bomb bout to drop.  

This team.... 

Up until just the last few years, I was an obsessive watcher of Redskins Nation.  I stopped tuning in mostly due to frustration with the team, but that had nothing to do with Larry.

Larry "no S" Michael seemed like a likeable and friendly guy, and I wish him well.    

5 hours ago, TK said:

Larry was bigger friend to ES then 99% of you will ever know. 

And I understand the hate for "TV Larry". It's a shame you didnt get to see/know "Actual Larry" like @NewCliche21 @KDawg & some others here did.

Must be a local issue. I remember him vaguely from local news when I was young and of course play by play. 

The only major issue I had with Larry was his Sorcerer bit, which was just meant to antagonize JLC, which seemed like the wrong play.

Otherwise he did his job.  I personally didn’t like listening to propaganda, so I rarely watched Larry or heard him on anything other than the game sat broadcasts.

I hope he’s retiring because he doesn’t want to have to spin whatever doomsday news is coming rather than he’s part of said doomsday news.

One of the few Redskins names I really wanted to meet and have a beer with. Probably more than anyone outside of Shanny before the fall. Sucks he’s gone. I don’t know why y’all didn’t like listening to him but claim to love this team more than your own children. 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

One of the few Redskins names I really wanted to meet and have a beer with. Probably more than anyone outside of Shanny before the fall. Sucks he’s gone. I don’t know why y’all didn’t like listening to him but claim to love this team more than your own children. 

I was either at the games or listened to the TV broadcast, so dont have a viable opinion on how he was as a PBP guy. However, continually talking up this team as a perennial Super Bowl contender on his show when they were far from it could tend to turn folks off.

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

I was either at the games or listened to the TV broadcast, so dont have a viable opinion on how he was as a PBP guy. However, continually talking up this team as a perennial Super Bowl contender on his show when they were far from it could tend to turn folks off.

I get it but we are all old enough to understand that the dude was paid to be a positive voice and to look in the bright side. Turn it off if you didn’t like it, not hard. If you wanna hear the truth literally every other channel is telling it lol

im not gonna sit here and argue about it though I know how rational this **** is. I’m just saying if all the bad guys y’all picked the coolest dude. Seems silly 

I grew up with Frank.  I never met Larry but from the people that have, seems like a nice guy just doing his job to the best of his ability.

For those that think he was bad at play by play, I did too at the beginning, but in my travels got to listen to some others team's crews.  Larry was far better than a lot of folks I had to listen to.

I wish him well, he was a homer for sure, but that was in his job description.  

2 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I grew up with Frank.  I never met Larry but from the people that have, seems like a nice guy just doing his job to the best of his ability.

For those that think he was bad at play by play, I did too at the beginning, but in my travels got to listen to some others team's crews.  Larry was far better than a lot of folks I had to listen to.

I wish him well, he was a homer for sure, but that was in his job description.  

Not knowing specifics, but when Frank got removed as PBP guy in favor of Larry, there were reports that Snyder was unhappy with Herzog because he wasnt positive enough about the Skins for Dsn's liking. Could anyone confirm?

I think most of us expect the PBP guys to show some level of enthusiasm for their team. But not sure how many of the other teams announcers had the exposure that Larry had via his show. And, back in the day, Sonny thru his charm was able to get away with always picking the Skins on Redskins Report, although he even threw in the towel at the start of 2001 during the horrible Marty start. For Larry to stand there and honestly pick the Skins over the Patriots last season was absurd.

I found Larry's homerism annoying but I get it.  He was around the players in the lockeroom alot  so it's hard for him to say our TEs suck and then have to face those guys and have them come on Redskins Nation or whatever it's called now.   

I remember back when he and Bram had a radio show and Bram would say our WRs are too small and Larry would say no they're fine, tall WRs are overrated or something.  Then a year later we draft Thomas and Kelly and Larry says well we really needed more height at WR.  Lol

Only thing I'd bash him for was the sorceror and the source-meter bit.  That was embarrassingly petty.  And if Dan and Vinny put him up to it he should of said pushed back.  

I think one of the reasons Larry Michael always got a bad rap for play by play announcing ,is because he followed two guys who might have been the best of all time at calling games,  in Frank Herzog and Ron Weber ,definitely huge shoes to fill especially in the local radio market 

Archived