Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After Name Change, Do Team Records And Heritage Convey?


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, TK said:

Except they scrubbed the F out most if not all the footage available on the WWE Network. 

I was just listening to an older episode of Prichard's podcast, around the time when they first launched the program on the WWE Network, and he and Conrad both said that WWF can appear on old footage, but moving forward, they had to change their name and not reference WWF.  So if they said WWF on their podcast on air, it would be bleeped out, but WWF can still appear and be said in old footage.  

 

I also realize some of it might have been scrubbed on the network, but how much of that is done on the whims of VKM and don't make much sense anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter_R said:

Pfft, the only people that will even acknowledge the past wins are the Redskins fans. It will be a new team to the rest of the USA.

 

The biggests wins are so long ago that they already weren't bothering to acknowledge.  At this point, whether they are Redskins, Red Wolves or Santa's Little Helpers they need to start living in the now.  I think we're all ready for a team we can be proud of...on the field, not commenting on the name for this part. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the people who believe it will be the same transition like the Bullets/Wizards or Oilers/Titans are in for a BIG shock.  These people who are saying everything is racist are attacking every fan on the internet/Twitter.  I've been harassed for typing out Redskins or showing me in Redskins gear online.  These people are even saying the logo AND the color scheme is racist.  smh.  Now honestly do you think they are going to let the team sale Redskins Jerseys(HOF) or memorabilia in the team store? Nope.  Those championships might be on record as Washington but you most likely will very little reference to the Washington Redskins again

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter_R said:

Pfft, the only people that will even acknowledge the past wins are the Redskins fans. It will be a new team to the rest of the USA.

 

no one treats the Tennessee Titans like a different team from the Houston Oilers.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my mind it doesn’t....all the records, Super Bowls, everything dies the second they are not the Redskins anymore, which is why so many of us are just gonna say F it and either find a new team or just stop watching altogether. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the bottom line is this:

 

Most of the people pushing for the name change aren't part of our fanbase. Once it's changed, they'll move on to the next whatever it is. We'll be off the radar.

 

Some Redskins fans will quit the team over the change, some new fans will arrive BECAUSE of the change.

 

But, if we win games, the fans will support the team. Old fans or new fans, who cares?

 

This is MY team for as long as I watch NFL games.

 

#HailToTheRedskinsOrRedwolvesOrFlyingMonkeysOrWhatever

#HTTRORWOFMOWE

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

In my mind it doesn’t....all the records, Super Bowls, everything dies the second they are not the Redskins anymore, which is why so many of us are just gonna say F it and either find a new team or just stop watching altogether. 

 

Wait, are you serious on this?  You'd legitimately drop the team and expect "many" to join you over a name change?

 

I know some people are venting about it because they don't like that/why we're changing the name, and I take with a tablespoon of salt when people say "Call me a luxury car 'cause I'm Audi" after a terrible loss/performance/hire, because most of them stick around.

 

It'll be fine, man.  You're pissed now, I don't agree with why but I can understand where you're coming from, but remember the words of Billy Shakespeare:

 

"A pile of crap for 20 years team by any other name would smell just as sweet."

 

Something like that, anyway.

 

__________

 

And not to stray too far, yes, everything would stick around, including most fans who are packing their bags to run away just like I did when I was 6 and didn't get an SNES. :cheers:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, carex said:

 

no one treats the Tennessee Titans like a different team from the Houston Oilers.

 

 

 

I dunno, the new generation of fans and even some of the players, let's say born mid-nineties and onward, probably have no idea.  I'd, with absolutely no evidence or authority, guess a huge swath of casual fans don't know.  Most of us aren't casual, just masochistic, which takes dedication.

 

I mean my house/car/everything is decorated Redskins and I'm not taking anything down, but my kids are gonna be too young to remember the team as anything but what we change our name to.  It'll be up to me, and the rest of us, to teach our history.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I was just listening to an older episode of Prichard's podcast

Dunno if you've found it yet, but there is an old podcast of Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard  where Bruce admits that Vince, who grew up in NC, is a Redskins fan. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TK said:

Dunno if you've found it yet, but there is an old podcast of Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard  where Bruce admits that Vince, who grew up in NC, is a Redskins fan. 

I believe Bruce has said Vince was interested in purchasing both the Vikings and Redskins at one point.  I'm thinking the Redskins were specifically mentioned during the XFL episode.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I believe Bruce has said Vince was interested in purchasing both the Vikings and Redskins at one point.  I'm thinking the Redskins were specifically mentioned during the XFL episode.  

I've got the audio clip recorded somewhere but I can't find it upload it

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, spjunkies said:

Stop the dramatics @PlayAction.

 

yeah, maybe dramatic.  But on the radio today they were talking about the NFL prohibiting fans from wearing Redskin jerseys to any future NFL games.  You wear the jersey and you will be denied admittance.  No racist jerseys allowed in the stadium.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I believe Bruce has said Vince was interested in purchasing both the Vikings and Redskins at one point.  I'm thinking the Redskins were specifically mentioned during the XFL episode.  

 

Vince.m4a

 

Found it. hopefully this works

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hunter_R said:

Pfft, the only people that will (try to) claim even acknowledge the past wins are the new teams Redskins fans. It will be a new team to the rest of the USA.

Fixed that for you. I think the only way to counter that is to link to the old team with a name that links to Redskins (Braves or Warriors) and keep the colors.

Edited by nonniey
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, Riggo#44 said:

I can see someone making a stink about it--but we will keep everything. They didn't remove anything that happened with the team pre-integration, so I don't see this being much different.

Except they just did by erasing George Preston Marshall from the team history, as well as renaming the bottom ring of Fed Ex Field for Bobby Mitchell.  I expect the fight song to be gone as well, considering the multiple changes it went through, as well as being written by Marshall's wife. 

 

If Snyder changed the name a decade ago, he probably could have gotten away with warriors, the color scheme, keeping the fight song modified as well as maybe even have a heritage collection like North Dakota has for the Fighting Sioux.  Now it's all going to be erased.  

 

I know I posted in here yesterday or the day before about still being able to mention the history of the team's name, but the more vitriol I see out there, the more I think that it's going to get canned as well, if not left behind completely.  

Edited by ThomasTomasz
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

 

Wait, are you serious on this?  You'd legitimately drop the team and expect "many" to join you over a name change?

 

I know some people are venting about it because they don't like that/why we're changing the name, and I take with a tablespoon of salt when people say "Call me a luxury car 'cause I'm Audi" after a terrible loss/performance/hire, because most of them stick around.

 

It'll be fine, man.  You're pissed now, I don't agree with why but I can understand where you're coming from, but remember the words of Billy Shakespeare:

 

"A pile of crap for 20 years team by any other name would smell just as sweet."

 

Something like that, anyway.

 

__________

 

And not to stray too far, yes, everything would stick around, including most fans who are packing their bags to run away just like I did when I was 6 and didn't get an SNES. :cheers:


I’m absolutely serious that’s how I feel...this new name team whatever it’s called has done nothing. The records the championships etc. are Redskins championships and records not whatever new team name it will be. 
 

And yes I know a lot of people are just gonna drop this new team altogether, I don’t k ow why you find that hard to believe. One of the former DC Fire Chiefs who is a life long Washingtonian and has tattoos of all the Washington franchises even says he is done once the name changes....more to follow in sure. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:


I’m absolutely serious that’s how I feel...this new name team whatever it’s called has done nothing. The records the championships etc. are Redskins championships and records not whatever new team name it will be. 
 

And yes I know a lot of people are just gonna drop this new team altogether, I don’t k ow why you find that hard to believe. One of the former DC Fire Chiefs who is a life long Washingtonian and has tattoos of all the Washington franchises even says he is done once the name changes....more to follow in sure. 

 

I'm not going to knock any fan for adopting the new team or just accepting that the Redskins are dead, or finding a new team etc. But I do agree with you that likely the majority of Redskins fans will not be fans of the new team unless it has a link (in the name) to the old team. Many will say hogwash, but I'd think in numbers most Redskins fans are a diaspora  and they don't have ties to the DC area.  The fans in the DC area will stick,  while those outside will move on. 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, carex said:

 

no one treats the Tennessee Titans like a different team from the Houston Oilers.

 

 

Who remembers the Oilers besides those that are 45+??

Most young guys probably doesn't even know them...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the important question is what will be t he name if this message board? :D

 

ExtremeHawks

ExtremeRedtails

ExtremeWarriors

ExtremeRedwolves

 

That is the important question. lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hdf561 said:


I’m absolutely serious that’s how I feel...this new name team whatever it’s called has done nothing. The records the championships etc. are Redskins championships and records not whatever new team name it will be. 
 

And yes I know a lot of people are just gonna drop this new team altogether, I don’t k ow why you find that hard to believe. One of the former DC Fire Chiefs who is a life long Washingtonian and has tattoos of all the Washington franchises even says he is done once the name changes....more to follow in sure. 

 

 

This is what I believe as well.

 

The team hasn't won in a very long time and many memories are tied to the Washington Redskins. 

 

"Touchdown Washington Redskins!"

 

"Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory..." 

 

I am not sure what I am going to do. Today is a funeral for me, and as logical as I like to be, I am totally irrational on this topic. I can't see myself being nearly as passionate about the "Red Wolves" or "Red Tails" I most likely won't refer to the team by that name for a long time (Redskins will slip in, or I'll default to Washington) and I am not going to be buying the new gear. I certainly won't care to watch games with my children. 

 

 Will my old fandom return? Remains to be seen

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...