Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After Name Change, Do Team Records And Heritage Convey?


Recommended Posts

I think you guys are being optimistic.  We have one guy on ESPN saying that Snyder needs to apologize for not changing the name years ago.  The Native American advocate wants the NFL to atone for all the years of emotional violence caused by the name "Redskins".  Future broadcasts of old Superbowl games will blank out the logo on the headgear and they will not refer to the team name.  It will simply be the "Washington Football team".  I'd say that's almost a certainly.  I hope that it doesn't get worse than that.  Fast forward 5 years and people will be accusing fans of "hate crimes" for wearing old Redskins gear.  Or you might get fired from your job if you have a Skins photo on social media.  Of course it sounds absurd.  But is it?  Ok, maybe ten years from now it will be like that.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see someone making a stink about it--but we will keep everything. They didn't remove anything that happened with the team pre-integration, so I don't see this being much different.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, profusion said:

 

Art Modell was going to keep the Browns' name, colors and record in Baltimore, but the league intervened and struck a deal with Cleveland to avoid a lawsuit, as I recall.

 

That was the first and only time a relocation left anything behind, as far as I know.

 

Washington Senators.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. This might be a bit controversial but do we still see highlights of OJ Simpson with the narrator glorifying his play on the field?

When you put it into context, isn't the reason for name change (at its core) as a result of the numerous murders and abuse of native Americans? We can sugar coat this all we want. But for the ones offended, that's at the core of wanting the name change. So years from now, someone on the NFL network has a Superbowl special, highlighting this team's accomplishments. Does the Steve Sabols of the future speak about the team and mention it admirably without backlash? I think not.

Best thing to do is become the Red Wolves, win some damn Super Bowls and allow the Steve Sabol's of the world to narrate a winning team filmed in 4k. We're literally holding on to 3 years.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Ok. This might be a bit controversial but do we still see highlights of OJ Simpson with the narrator glorifying his play on the field?

When you put it into context, isn't the reason for name change (at its core) as a result of the numerous murders and abuse of native Americans? We can sugar coat this all we want. But for the ones offended, that's at the core of wanting the name change. So years from now, someone on the NFL network has a Superbowl special, highlighting this team's accomplishments. Does the Steve Sabols of the future speak about the team and mention it admirably without backlash? I think not.

Best thing to do is become the Red Wolves, win some damn Super Bowls and allow the Steve Sabol's of the world to narrate a winning team filmed in 4k. We're literally holding on to 3 years.

Ouch!!!  Talk about a possible cold hard slap of reality to the face.  Ugh...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Number 44 said:

 

Washington Senators.

 

That's right. Forgot about them (not a baseball fan). I believe the Twins own all of the original Senators' records, though. Not that that is something to brag about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bifflog said:

 

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are at all.  It's not similar because no one had a moral quandary with the WWF name, it was a simple legal dispute.    The footage won't just be censored, it won't ever be shown.  The gear littered with slurs, won't be allowed to be worn in the stadium.  If I'm wrong I'll own it, but I don't believe I will be.  I'd be willing to bet on it.

I watch old games all the time (esp 70s and 80s when we were good), I cannot really make out the logos real well on most of the footage. As long as our colors don't change, most of the footage is likely to be shown.  Unless the term goes the way of a certain term used to denigrate black people which was a soap mouth wash for me 50 years ago (from my super Republican SOUTHERN WASP mother) and was considered one of the worst swear words by many of my friends growing up (also, mostly with southern, white, conservative parents), I don't see the whitewash you mention happening at least for most of the rest of this century.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bifflog said:

 

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are at all.  It's not similar because no one had a moral quandary with the WWF name, it was a simple legal dispute.    The footage won't just be censored, it won't ever be shown.  The gear littered with slurs, won't be allowed to be worn in the stadium.  If I'm wrong I'll own it, but I don't believe I will be.  I'd be willing to bet on it.

 

Look at the North Dakota issue with "Fighting Sioux."  People for years still wore their old gear into the stadium, and so many people wanted the old gear that they made a legacy collection- http://siouxshop.com/More-Dacotah-Legacy-Collection-118/

 

I'll be the first to say that there is a difference in Fighting Sioux and Redskins, just as there is between Redskins and WWE.  But, the World Wildlife Fund did NOT say WWE had to go back and change things on their archived footage.  They just had to rebrand and not say WWF moving forward.  I don't think you can take away what the team used to be at all, especially in archival footage.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent one year as the Boston Braves, then four years as the Boston Redskins.

 

At the end of that 4th year we lost the championship game.  The next year we were in DC and won the championship game.

 

All that is still on Pro-Football reference: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/index.htm

 

1932 we were a completely different team in a completely different town, but we kept all that anyway.  This is a franchise that I grew up watching represent the DC area, but that's not how they started.  I wouldn't feel right if this team moved to London and took nearly a century of history with them, I applaud Cleveland for going to war with Art Moddel over that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

It's no different than a woman who gets married and changes her last name to her husband's.  Other than her last name, she is the exact same person whose experiences, accomplishments, and history are exactly the same.  In fact, her maiden name remains a part of her official identity

 

Until all of us Redskins fans die off, they will always be the Washington Redskins.   That's all we've ever known.  For almost 50 years as a fan, the name has been associated with pride, strength, competing, and winning.  The official identity of all the great players that have played in Washington in its 88-year history were as Redskins.  That's its history.  This franchise's accomplishments, which includes three Super Bowls, will remain a part of its history until it ceases to exist.

I see it more like the love of you life has died and you get remarried.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 1:49 AM, Bifflog said:

 

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are at all.  It's not similar because no one had a moral quandary with the WWF name, it was a simple legal dispute.    The footage won't just be censored, it won't ever be shown.  The gear littered with slurs, won't be allowed to be worn in the stadium.  If I'm wrong I'll own it, but I don't believe I will be.  I'd be willing to bet on it.

Actually the original poster is right......it’s only a name change/rebrand.  The Washington Bullets changed to the Washington Wizards. The name changed, the logo changed, but the franchise history carried over and has remained in tact. The Bullets championship trophy is still there and the Bullets championship banner along with their retired players are all still hung from the rafters at Capital One Arena. The Bullets highlights are still replayed. It’s only a name and logo change, not a franchise change 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, cakmoney61 said:

 

 

Until all of us Redskins fans die off, they will always be the Washington Redskins.   That's all we've ever known.  For almost 50 years as a fan, the name has been associated with pride, strength, competing, and winning.  The official identity of all the great players that have played in Washington in its 88-year history were as Redskins.  That's its history.  This franchise's accomplishments, which includes three Super Bowls, will remain a part of its history until it ceases to exist.

 

To us young fans, the name has brought up pain and nothing but sorrows and controversy.  I have more bad memories with this team than good memories.  The history of this team is with the great players and great coaches. The name has nothing to do with it.  Joe Gibbs would have dominated in the 1980s even if the team was named the redtails or anything else. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The history is still there.  We aren't erasing our 3 Superbowl titles or 2 NFL championships from the pre-Superbowl era.   

Now, when referring to that history; people will just use Washington and not refer to the name Redskins anymore.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 1:49 AM, Bifflog said:

 

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are at all.  It's not similar because no one had a moral quandary with the WWF name, it was a simple legal dispute.    The footage won't just be censored, it won't ever be shown.  The gear littered with slurs, won't be allowed to be worn in the stadium.  If I'm wrong I'll own it, but I don't believe I will be.  I'd be willing to bet on it.

 

 

Ding, ding, ding.

 

Once the new name is established I'm sure everything old is banned.  The way of the land today.  If woke folks like Phil Simms would not mention our name when it was then NOBODY will ever mention it again.

 

Redskins will only live on in our memories.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

 

To us young fans, the name has brought up pain and nothing but sorrows and controversy.  I have more bad memories with this team than good memories.  The history of this team is with the great players and great coaches. The name has nothing to do with it.  Joe Gibbs would have dominated in the 1980s even if the team was named the redtails or anything else. 

 

Huh?  The point is that Joe Gibbs' teams had a name.  The fact is that Joe Gibbs goes down in history as being the coach of the 3-time Super Bowl champion Washington Redskins... and not the Washington Redtails.  It cannot be changed.  OTOH, I feel that pain, too.  The Redskins have been a virtual circus over most of the last 28 years.  And nothing can change that either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im thinking to myself "how can we be the red tails or red wolves, when our colors don't even really include red", then im like "oh yeah dummy". 

 

I know, shades of red. Go red and black!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

 

To us young fans, the name has brought up pain and nothing but sorrows and controversy.  I have more bad memories with this team than good memories.  The history of this team is with the great players and great coaches. The name has nothing to do with it.  Joe Gibbs would have dominated in the 1980s even if the team was named the redtails or anything else. 

 

Worse than your lack of good history, re:Redskins, imagine how painful it is for those of us who lived through 5 Super Bowl seasons, with 3 winners, to go through the dreck that has been on display for the last 20 years.  It's like your hot wife suddenly gained 50lbs and quit showering and refuses to do anything about it for 20 years.  Changing her name won't make her hot again.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

 

Worse than your lack of good history, re:Redskins, imagine how painful it is for those of us who lived through 5 Super Bowl seasons, with 3 winners, to go through the dreck that has been on display for the last 20 years.  It's like your hot wife suddenly gained 50lbs and quit showering and refuses to do anything about it for 20 years.  Changing her name won't make her hot again.

More painful is having Dan Snyder make this decision.  What decision has he even made remotely good on the first try? How can we trust this fool to make a decision. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As fans, we can embrace the future and still make sure the Champions and fine players that were Redskins in the past are remembered.  They will always be legends of the franchise.  I personally think the more alumni buy in the better the changes will be received.
 

 The alumni can help bridge what is going to be a painful time of transition for many of us and them.

 

And the records and Super Bowls they all officially stay.  The organization isn’t going away.  Now if they want to delete a lot of 1992 - 2019 that’s is ok with me.  Just leave 1999, 2005, and 2012.

Edited by Painkiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kwitt said:

I see it more like the love of you life has died and you get remarried.

So I'm not the only one?  For years I thought I'd react with anger and fury to a name change - it turned out to be grief. It feels that I won't be getting remarried though (Guess Sundays will now be open for other things).

Edited by nonniey
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 12:46 AM, ThomasTomasz said:

This is a rebranding, everything will stay.  This isn't comparable to a relocation like the Ravens or Titans.  The most similar comparison is World Wrestling Entertainment rebranding after the World Wildlife Fund sued them and they ran the "Get The F Out" campaign when they changed the name.  Same company, same history, same everything, except a new name.  I also wouldn't expect "Redskins" to be censored or removed from any past game footage or anything either, just a change moving forward.  

Except they scrubbed the F out most if not all the footage available on the WWE Network. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...