Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I wonder how those things work (and this isn't my usual "crush the team" post, but more a general curiosity)...

Once a former player is invited, I wonder if the organization 1) coordinates travel and lodging accommodations for them, 2) has them figure those things out on their own but covers the expenses, or 3) neither? And, for the sake of argument, if Washington's protocol is to choose option #2...are there organizations out there that actual do option #1? Are there organizations out there that do option #3? 

Maybe no teams pay for this at all and all former players are on their own to figure it out and pay their way...like I said, it is more a curiosity than anything else. 

23 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wonder how those things work (and this isn't my usual "crush the team" post, but more a general curiosity)...

Once a former player is invited, I wonder if the organization 1) coordinates travel and lodging accommodations for them, 2) has them figure those things out on their own but covers the expenses, or 3) neither? And, for the sake of argument, if Washington's protocol is to choose option #2...are there organizations out there that actual do option #1? Are there organizations out there that do option #3? 

Maybe no teams pay for this at all and all former players are on their own to figure it out and pay their way...like I said, it is more a curiosity than anything else. 

4) Make the player and their family (if applicable) sign NDAs agreeing not to criticize the team in any way afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

4) Make the player and their family (if applicable) sign NDAs agreeing not to criticize the team in any way afterwards.

And agree to schmooze with fans and sign autographs at a specified date and time. 

Edited by SkinsFTW

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Feels reactionary (Irsay-like) based on AJ Brown dumping on them this past weekend.

Tennessee has been pretty damn good for a # of years.  Have to believe there is more to this.

Their drafting has been woeful as well as their FA for the past couple of years. Their QB is 35 and not playing well. Derrick is 29 and showing Father Time catching up. Their top 7 guys for cap numbers are 30+ except for Derrick. 

they are in a prime position to blow it up and tank for Williams. Trade Tannehill and Henry while they still have value along with cutting their big cap numbers. The tank for Williams is a very real thing for them. 

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Feels reactionary (Irsay-like) based on AJ Brown dumping on them this past weekend.

Tennessee has been pretty damn good for a # of years.  Have to believe there is more to this.

Looks like Ryan Cowden will be replacing him as interim GM. Remember Cowden has been getting a number of GM interviews the past couple years. It could be a case where ownership feels the protege is better than the boss

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Playing the brand of football they do doesnt help either. 

That's a big part of it. We've been mostly pretty boring since 2012. I do think we have some really fun exciting and likable individual players like McLaurin, Allen, Payne, etc. but its hard to get jazzed up over a run first defensive team that caps out at ~20 PPG.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's a big part of it. We've been mostly pretty boring since 2012. I do think we have some really fun exciting and likable individual players like McLaurin, Allen, Payne, etc. but its hard to get jazzed up over a run first defensive team that caps out at ~20 PPG.

Eh, 2015 and 2016 offense had the ability to score points. I’d say the the team has been mostly boring since 2018. But you’re right, a run first defensive team isn’t going to entice many people to attend, on a Sunday night the week before Christmas. 

I hope it’s as packed with our fans as it can get though…..anyone that can and wants to, I really hope they come out. But I won’t fault anyone for not showing up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Not even 20 is sad. They also dont really force Turnovers either. So the games end up in punt fests. They are 5th most punts attempted per game and the 4th most punts against. Its just bad football all around. Tied for the second least take aways at home as well at .7. 

This is just a boring bad football team thats stuck in the middle. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think that's it. The Ravens have had that identity basically since they moved to Baltimore and they have a rabid following. As has been pointed out, as recently as 2016, the Skins were flying up and down the field with Cousins, Garcon, Jackson, Crowder, Reed, Thompson, etc. and scoring a lot of points. 

It's the organization, not the composition of the team on the field, that is keeping the fans away. If there was a tradition of winning supported by an owner that the fans could respect then you'd have a packed stadium even if the games were held at 8pm on Christmas Eve. The game would be woven into holiday traditions...holidays being right around the corner wouldn't be used as excuses not to show up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is a really interesting debate and actually probably explains my viewing habits on a Sunday. I religiously watch the "Redskins" game at 6pm here (on Gamepass as a rule), with the intent of going to bed semi-drunk reasonably early. I find I just have to watch a 9pm game though (usually Chargers, Bill, Chiefs, etc.), I had never realised until now that it's the effect of the numb feeling watching the "Redskins" bore their way to victory that unknown to me makes me seek out a TD fest before I go to bed. And continuing to drink, which is the worst result of all this!

• Like 2

Thankfully Rivera has established that the players don't have to deal with ANY of the drama around Dan. I saw an interview where he said that he's instructed our players that he will face any of the all field drama and answer all the off field questions. He instructed the players to direct any question not related to the on field product, to him. I really appreciate that tone because we know our players have always had to deal with so much drama under Snyder.

Also, I read something where the team had been something like 2-21 in prime time games before Rivera got here. I believe the team is now 4-2 in prime time games under Rivera. The signs of his impact are there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Also, I read something where the team had been something like 2-21 in prime time games before Rivera got here. I believe the team is now 4-2 in prime time games under Rivera. The signs of his impact are there.

Yeah, prime time has definitely gotten better under Ron. 

-*Week 12 @ cowboys (turkey day): W 

-Week 13 @ Steelers: W 1-0 (2-0 if you consider turkey day prime time)

-Week 17 @ Eagles: W 2-0 (or 3-0)

-playoffs Vs Bucs: L 2-1 (or 3-1)

-Week 2 Vs giants: W 3-1 (or 4-1)

-Week 12 Vs Seahawks: W 4-1 (or 5-1)

-Week 15 @ Eagles: L 4-2 (or 5-2)

-Week 16 @ Cowboys: L 4-3 (or 6-3)

-Week 6 @ Bears: W 5-3 (or 7-3)

-Week 10 @ Eagles: 7-3 (or 8-3)

so, 7-3 if you don’t consider 4:30 thanksgiving prime time, 8-3 if you do

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, prime time has definitely gotten better under Ron. 

-*Week 12 @ cowboys (turkey day): W 

-Week 13 @ Steelers: W 1-0 (2-0 if you consider turkey day prime time)

-Week 17 @ Eagles: W 2-0 (or 3-0)

-playoffs Vs Bucs: L 2-1 (or 3-1)

-Week 2 Vs giants: W 3-1 (or 4-1)

-Week 12 Vs Seahawks: W 4-1 (or 5-1)

-Week 15 @ Eagles: L 4-2 (or 5-2)

-Week 16 @ Cowboys: L 4-3 (or 6-3)

-Week 6 @ Bears: W 5-3 (or 7-3)

-Week 10 @ Eagles: 7-3 (or 8-3)

so, 7-3 if you don’t consider 4:30 thanksgiving prime time, 8-3 if you do

Thanks for looking it up. I didn't fact check the article for accuracy but it does seem like we haven't been an embarrassment in prime time the past few years. You made the visual clearer.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Zim489 said:

Playing the brand of football they do doesnt help either. 

If they are winning I don't think it matters so much. They have played some pretty exciting games recently. There's some young players that are starting to blossom and make plays. Some playmakers on offense and defense. If they keep winning the numbers will improve.

I think their attendance problem stem  more from a lousy stadium and dissatisfaction with the owner more than anything.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Warhead36 said:

No, I don’t think so, and the number of points don’t matter, in fact I think people actually like a close lowish scoring game when it ends in victory. I easily get jazzed by a run first defensive team when we win. We just haven’t had an effective run first defensive team until recently, and that’s been the problem. I remember yelling at the screen the past few years when we would hand it off for 1 yard on first down to start every series. The. It’s 2nd and 9, ugh. That’s what people don’t like. However I think people love when you gain 4-5 to make it 2nd and 6 and occasionally pop one for 15-20 yards like we have been doing this year. Now if we had consistent QB play to augment our style of football and push games from a coin flip to confidence, people would be back in the stadium.

The point is, consistent winning is what matters. We’re not consistent winners, so people aren’t going to spend their Sunday going to a game when they could be doing other things with their life. 

On 12/6/2022 at 1:22 PM, Zim489 said:

Their drafting has been woeful as well as their FA for the past couple of years. Their QB is 35 and not playing well. Derrick is 29 and showing Father Time catching up. Their top 7 guys for cap numbers are 30+ except for Derrick. 

they are in a prime position to blow it up and tank for Williams. Trade Tannehill and Henry while they still have value along with cutting their big cap numbers. The tank for Williams is a very real thing for them. 

Who is Williams?