Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suggestions for New Team Name, New Logos etc. Go Here- (by member request)

Is there a reason "Washington Thunderbirds" isn't a more popular suggestion?

Retains Mlitary and Native American  themes without offending elements.  And also checks off the "badass animal" box.  Could use a cool gold feather design for the helmet

Seems like the best of all 3 worlds

image.png.a09203643cdc27f7c19d6d1a11573837.png

4 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Retains Mlitary and Native American  themes without offending elements.  And also checks off the "badass animal" box. 

It just reminds me too much of a car. It sounds cool, but I wouldn't be able to get that car imagery out of my head. Hence, it should not be chosen. 

Also, I generally don't like birds and I'm tired of bird names for teams. Hence, it should not be chosen. 

RedWolves, please. 

2 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Retains Mlitary and Native American  themes without offending elements.  And also checks off the "badass animal" box. 

For me, I just don't want another bird or cat team.  I know you didn't mention cats but it's the same feeling for me.

Birds:
Eagles

Falcons

Seahawks

Ravens

Cardinals

Cats:

Panthers

Bengals

Lions

Jaguars

The logo is pretty well done, I'll give it that.  Just as long as there's no feather or hint at the Native American theme.  I think that if we include Native Americans in this in any way, then we're just giving a silent nod to "We're only doing this so you guys will stop yelling at us about the name, we really don't care"

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

If it were Redwolves--its not gonna be lol--we wouldn't have to use a singlular individual image of a wolf, could be something like this:

I mean, this could symbolize our D-Line alone lol..

<Snip picture>

Well, they do all look like they're being held and I'm the only one who sees it, so yeah, a carbon copy of our D-Line😂

Why don't we go in a completely different way away from Native American imagery? It's clearly an issue and will only get worse.

Ideas:

Washington Admirals

Washington Commodores

Washington Commanders

Washington Generals

Washington Airmen

Washington Colonels

Washington Colonials

Washington Mambo Sauce

Washington Fleet

Washington Carriers

Washington Swamp Dogs

Washington War Dogs

Washington River Dogs

Washington Yard Dogs (tied to the Navy Yard in DC)

Washington Copperheads

The Colonials would be a pretty cool name even though GWU already has it.

@Barry.Randolphe I know you don't post a lot and I swear I'm not trying to pick on you lol it just happens to keep being you I respond to--but anyways, you want to go from the slur name that offends NA populations to a name glorifying the colonization efforts that literally destroyed their population and relocated their culture...we would be rightly killed for that attempt at a name. I mean Colonial, it's right there in the name. Might as well go for "Colonizers" and just lean into the villainy damn. That's a no-go.

It's tough because we learn history from our point of view but you gotta remember that the colonials that we  have been taught to think of as the brave explorers and founders of our first future American settlements are the same literal invaders and harbingers of actual genocide that Native Americans think of.

Also something that could potentially provide some levity to the topic:  Think of what fans of other teams will call us with the new name you suggest.

Ex:  Redskins - Deadskins, foreskins

Red Wolves - Something about female dogs

Mambo Sauce - Got No Sauce

4 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Why don't we go in a completely different way away from Native American imagery? It's clearly an issue and will only get worse.

Ideas:

Washington Admirals

Washington Commodores

Washington Commanders

<Snip>

If they increase team sizes to 64, then how could we NOT pick Commodores?

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Id prefer just Wolves over RedWolves.

The word Red just needs dropping totally.

I don't think we HAVE to have "red" in the name, but I think "RedWolves" sounds so much more badass than just "wolves." More unique, too. 

And again, a silent tie-in to this guy:

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Retains Mlitary and Native American  themes without offending elements.  And also checks off the "badass animal" box.  Could use a cool gold feather design for the helmet

I really like Thunderbirds. Especially if it includes the NA aspect (if that's on the table at all.

You could do some really cool things with this kind of design, but it may be considered cultural appropriation.

Per wikipedia: "The thunderbird is a legendary creature in certain North American indigenous peoples' history and culture. It is considered a supernatural being of power and strength."

il_570xN.1263111555_kz0q.jpg

I like the idea of Thunderbirds, and I know of the Native American stories about it etc.... but every time I hear that name, I just think of the old puppet show.... I don't know if you guys got it stateside, but it was huge here and ran for like 30 years.

Honestly, I believe it will be Warriors, which I think is meh. I like Red wolves but can't see it happening. Warpath is an interesting one that might get some traction - I really like it.

1165 Best THUNDERBIRDS (1965-1966) images | Thunderbird ...

DC National Maulers (play on National Mall) 

Washington War Hawks

Washington Werewolves (I still like this one)  

Washington Warlocks (we already have wizards, so why not?)

DC Defenders (I already bought a t-shirt) 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@Barry.Randolphe I know you don't post a lot and I swear I'm not trying to pick on you lol it just happens to keep being you I respond to--but anyways, you want to go from the slur name that offends NA populations to a name glorifying the colonization efforts that literally destroyed their population and relocated their culture...we would be rightly killed for that attempt at a name. I mean Colonial, it's right there in the name. Might as well go for "Colonizers" and just lean into the villainy damn. That's a no-go.

It's tough because we learn history from our point of view but you gotta remember that the colonials that we  have been taught to think of as the brave explorers and founders of our first future American settlements are the same literal invaders and harbingers of actual genocide that Native Americans think of.

They wanted the named changed!  It's being changed!   Ironic it would be.  

Archived