Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suggestions for New Team Name, New Logos etc. Go Here- (by member request)

9 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

I actually like fighters.  And warriors without the Native American imagery would also be cool.  I personally like it with the Native American imagery but just worry that it would be seen as a half step.

If we removed any Native American connection to the word "Warriors", we would effectively be going from associating a name to them that they claim is highly offensive, to removing a name from them that they find highly complimentary. It would be the epitome of tone-deafness. I can see it now: "You have no problem associating a racist slur with NAs, but now that you're using a term that is highly complimentary to NAs you do NOT want to associate it with them?"

IF there was never any NA imagery associated with the team, then there would be no reason to now add it in if the name becomes Warriors, I agree there.

*mods: lemme know if the needle on the Off-Topicometer has flown into the red with this post lol...

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

If we removed any Native American connection to the word "Warriors", we would effectively be going from associating a name to them that they claim is highly offensive, to removing a name from them that they find highly complimentary. It would be the epitome of tone-deafness. I can see it now: "You have no problem associating a racist slur with NAs, but now that you're using a term that is highly complimentary to NAs you do NOT want to associate it with them?"

Native Americans might like to be called warriors but they don’t like teams to be named after them.  That’s why they still object to complimentary names like the braves.

But maybe that’s where we hold the line and make the case that teams can still be named after native Americans as long as the name is honorable.  I’m just not sure the team would want to make a change that doesn’t make the issue go away completely.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, I'm believing it's gonna be Warriors.

Plus there's also this lol:

Have you seen the movie?  I've been beating this drum forever.  You start the Stadium intro with that guy clinking bottles on his fingers and screaming "Warriors...COME OUT TO PLAY" then have a bunch of clips of Mike Sellers and Sean Taylor trucking people over music (and similar highlights) and then end it with the 10 second clip you just posted.  I'm telling you, the stands would be electric.  I need a contact in the Skins video department to pitch this :)

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

I actually like fighters.  And warriors without the Native American imagery would also be cool.  I personally like it with the Native American imagery but just worry that it would be seen as a half step.

Sorry, I think "fighters" is terrible. And it would be especially ridiculous and problematic to have a soldier as the logo associated with that. 

"Warriors" is the best choice so far, although I prefer "Red Wolves" a bit. "Warriors" may be a bit plain and generic on its own, but it's a term that's underscored with pride and other positive, noble traits. Pairing that with NA imagery only makes the word that much more powerful in my opinion, although it's generic enough that it could still be applied to everyone, whereas "Redskins" is pretty specific. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

Native Americans might like to be called warriors but they don’t like teams to be named after them.  That’s why they still object to complimentary names like the braves.

But maybe that’s where we hold the line and make the case that teams can still be named after native Americans as long as the name is honorable.  I’m just not sure the team would want to make a change that doesn’t make the issue go away completely.

Ok, um....I'm halfway thru my response, and...

giphy.gif

I'll just say this instead lol...hopefully Snyder and company had some talks with NA leaders already.

I still don't like Warriors much--too bland and not unique to the franchise-- but I can now live with it better knowing how the NA community views that association with their nation. IF they use Warriors without any connection to NAs at all, might as well go al the way and not use Warriors either.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

Sorry, I think "fighters" is terrible. And it would be especially ridiculous and problematic to have a soldier as the logo associated with that. 

"Warriors" is the best choice so far, although I prefer "Red Wolves" a bit. "Warriors" may be a bit plain and generic on its own, but it's a term that's underscored with pride and other positive, noble traits. Pairing that with NA imagery only makes the word that much more powerful in my opinion, although it's generic enough that it could still be applied to everyone, whereas "Redskins" is pretty specific. 

Red Wolves is growing on me slightly...

Edited by Califan007
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Have you seen the movie?  I've been beating this drum forever.  You start the Stadium intro with that guy clinking bottles on his fingers and screaming "Warriors...COME OUT TO PLAY" then have a bunch of clips of Mike Sellers and Sean Taylor trucking people over music (and similar highlights) and then end it with the 10 second clip you just posted.  I'm telling you, the stands would be electric.  I need a contact in the Skins video department to pitch this :)

I was just thinking about that!! lol...my gawd, the possibilities are incredible. That would rev up the crowd like a mf'er. It would also make for a rather cool and easy transition to the new name...I'm on board, we need to contact the team's video department asap lol...

Edited by Califan007

I don't want it to be Warriors (unless the other options considered by Dan and Ron are worse). The name itself isn't bad is just too synonymous with the basketball team for me (granted I live in the Bay Area and hear that name more than others). I have a similar problem going back to Braves, I associate that name with the baseball team. I'd like whatever the new name is to be something unique and distinctive while still intimidating and cool. I'd also like to avoid any political names (Monuments, Senators, etc) or anything that would force a color change (I assume any extremely patriotic name would require red, white, and blue unis). And lastly, having the new name start with an R would be nice. If we can't keep Redskins, at least keep HTTR.

Sportnut has a point.  Anything with NA name or imagery will still be frowned upon and will still cause problems down the line.  Now, that they are getting the Redskins to change their names and maybe even the Indians; they will be going after all sports teams with Indian related names or mascots/logos.   

Washington Warriors can work but you don't use any NA imagery attached to it.  

warriors-678x381.jpg

I don't if that's a good logo but something with a military soldier being he warrior.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Washington Redshirts.

It football -centric. Very relevant to how we have played the past 30 years and can still keep the color-scheme and HTTR hastag.

Edited by dyst
Posted (edited)

Washington.... Wizards.... Warriors.... 

Hmm.

I think we're on to something great here folks:

Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II - Wikipedia

Edited by Mooka

I’m not sure why we are stuck with using “Washington” 

I personally like “DC” as per my original suggestion 

I am personally liking the DC Sentinels although I don’t think it’s a real ownership option 

Just now, OsaSkinsFan said:

I’m not sure why we are stuck with using “Washington” 

I personally like “DC” as per my original suggestion 

I am personally liking the DC Sentinels although I don’t think it’s a real ownership option 

Especially since the stadium isn't even in DC, and hasn't been, in decades.

Now's the best time to shed the "Washington"...and go with

Ral-jon Redbirds

• Haha 1
Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Especially since the stadium isn't even in DC, and hasn't been, in decades.

Now's the best time to shed the "Washington"...and go with

Ral-jon Redbirds

true that... could use Virginia or Maryland as a surname as well

• Like 1
  • Jumbo locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic
  • Jumbo locked this topic