Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suggestions for New Team Name, New Logos etc. Go Here- (by member request)


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

1. Americans - Lord, no..."What, so the rest of the players are NOT Americans?"...plus the name sucks lol...doesn't roll off your tongue when paired with Washington.

2. Red Wolves - Sounds too much like an energy drink

3. Apaches (this would need approval from the tribal leaders even though it’s a bad-ass helicopter) - Too specific

4. Warthogs (or War Hogs) - Hell no...everyone would think of Pumbaa instead of George Allen and Joe Gibbs

5. Red Tails - As mentioned, lots of "spanking" jokes especially when we lose (an lose badly)

6. No Name. Washington Football Club. (This could be temporary) - We have a bingo! lol (and not just because it's my suggestion...heh)

7. Braves (walking the line here, but it’s ours) - Eh, I could live with it I guess

8. Battles (reminds me of Cliff Battles) - Nah, plus it would be better if singular and not plural. The Washington Battle sounds more like what we do...don't like the name lol, but remove the "s"

9. Blitz or Red Blitz - Arena league-type name

10. Warriors (this is like punting instead of going for it) - Warriors is actually far more appropriate than almost any other name suggested. I still don't like it much, but I get why it's being considered. Even officials with the National Congress of American Indians approves or the term "Warrior" in connection to NA culture. Plus it serves the double duty of being connected to the military, which the Skins have been honoring for years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Alrighty then. I like Americans as an abbreviation of Native Americans. Honoring the first humans to cross the land bridge and become the original inhabitants of the American continents. Could keep the logo. Also, has the association with Americans as citizens of the USA. DC is the capital after all. It isn’t some insult to players on other teams. I don’t think Montreal Canadians is regarded that way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, London Kev said:

 

The Washington Pornhub? I would imagine that the logo would be amazing.

That team is hard and to beat and they're not just a bunch of stiffs!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

https://www.changethemascot.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DrFriedmanReport.pdf
 

The name warriors is still offensive to native Americans if it is used with a spear and headdress.

 

 

I don't think I can respond to this without it needing to be moved to the other thread in the Tailgate lol...

 

I will say, though, that in that 30 page report, "Warriors" was only mentioned once: "Native American Mascot terms included the "R*dskins" as well as other Native American mascots such as "Warriors."

 

 

35 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:


 

Alrighty then. I like Americans as an abbreviation of Native Americans. Honoring the first humans to cross the land bridge and become the original inhabitants of the American continents. Could keep the logo. Also, has the association with Americans as citizens of the USA. DC is the capital after all. It isn’t some insult to players on other teams. I don’t think Montreal Canadians is regarded that way. 

 

I assumed you meant it in reference to NAs, but the criticisms would still fly. Plus it still doesn't really roll off the tongue very well lol...

 

Hope you didn't take my earlier response personally...I'm pretty much doing this with everyone's post who gives a list of possible names to consider. It's what the mods hired me to do lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I don't think I can respond to this without it needing to be moved to the other thread in the Tailgate lol...

I feel the same way. Certain posts seem to be baiting me to respond. I have shown managed some degree of qualified restraint so far.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I will say, though, that in that 30 page report, "Warriors" was only mentioned once: "Native American Mascot terms included the "R*dskins" as well as other Native American mascots such as "Warriors."

 

noun

a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I feel the same way. Certain posts seem to be baiting me to respond. I have shown managed some degree of qualified restraint so far.

Not trying to bait.  I likely agree with you on the merits of the report.  I was just trying to get people to acknowledge that some native Americans find it offensive to have a mascot that symbolizes their culture even if the mascot is not offensive.  Given that some would still be offended, we might want a complete disassociation with the Native American culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 9:57 AM, LetThePointsSoar said:

Warriors.  Buy the dang trademark back - appease both sides of the ones that want the Redskins name removed, while acknowledging the fact that a sizeable portion of the fanbase are Native Americans and don't completely turn on them.

 

Do a revised version of the spear logo, and move forward and past these conversations once and for all. 

Some conversations are uncomfortable but must be had. I'm sure things that bother you are things you'd like to discuss and gain solutions to. 

This thread could go south. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I feel the same way. Certain posts seem to be baiting me to respond. I have shown managed some degree of qualified restraint so far.

 

I don't recognize the issue until I'm halfway through responding and realize my response is tackling issues that don't belong on this thread lol...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Keeping on point with the thread subject only, the name warriors has the same problem as the chiefs, braves, and blackhawks.  Not as problematic as redskins, but still problematic to some.  If we are going to change, there is merit in a full change and disassociation with Native American culture so that we don’t find ourselves having to change it again down the road.

Edited by sportsnut
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Califan007 said:

 

I don't recognize the issue until I'm halfway through responding and realize my response is tackling issues that don't belong on this thread lol...

The mods installed a little warning light system on my posts. Often it's green, but it goes all the way to red. I'm been hovering in the yellow/orange range a lot ;)

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just came up with the obvious name. A name linked to our national heritage and history in its deepest way. Shame on you for not thinking of it first. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you (drum roll) YOUR WASHINGTON... Redcoats!

Edited by Burgold
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so looking into it a bit more, I think Red Wolves (or Redwolves) fits as a solution to honoring the military and Native Americans.

Military connection:

Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 84 (HSC-84) "Red Wolves" was a helicopter squadron of the United States Navy Reserve. Along with the "Firehawks" of HSC-85 , the “Red Wolves” were one of only two squadrons in the U.S. Navy dedicated to supporting Navy SEAL and SWCC Teams, and Combat Search & Rescue .

Native ties:

Wolves figure prominently in the mythology of nearly every Native American tribe. In most Native cultures, Wolf is considered a medicine being associated with courage, strength, loyalty, and success at hunting.

 

Plus with Pepsi threatening to pull sponsorship, that leaves the door open for a new drink. 

tv-its_always_sunny_in_philadelphia-2005_-dennis_reynolds-glenn_howerton-tshirts-s07e04-wolf_cola.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Prince went 6 years without a name, just a symbol instead...I think we should follow his lead and just have an unpronounceable symbol for our name. That takes it a step beyond not having a name lol...

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I feel the same way. Certain posts seem to be baiting me to respond. I have shown managed some degree of qualified restraint so far.

  

 

stay vigilant :ols:

 

we just had one disgruntled poster get a brief vaca  for choosing to ignore directives and there's some on the bubble i hear...tk's hungover so...

 

:ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm believing it's gonna be Warriors.

 

Doing research, there has been just a ****-ton of articles and videos discussing the Native American "Warrior culture" and "Warrior tradition" within the last 2 years, and all of it is with the approval, endorsement, and participation of Native Americans and the National Congress of Native Americans. It's presented as a name they take deep pride in being associated with and one of the reasons NAs join the military at a higher rate than any other demographic (they see the military as having a warrior culture as well). It fits the honoring-NAs-and-the-military narrative. I still say Warriors is not unique enough for the franchise...but the more I read up on the name the more I like it. If there's a desire to keep some of the NA links to the team's branding you would be hard-pressed to find a better name to use than Warriors.

 

Plus there's also this lol:

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it is 2020...and it is time.

 

 

The Washington Plague       

 

 

Gothic plague doctor Royalty Free Vector Image

 

 

 

 

(I'd accept the washington black death, as well..... )

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcsluggo said:

it is 2020...and it is time.

 

 

The Washington Plague      

 

(I'd accept the washington black death, as well..... )

 

 

 

Outside of it seeming tasteless during the pandemic, I actually like both of those nicknames lol...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Fighters. Plain as hell? Yes. However, a warrior is a fighter and Fighters can respectfully honor Native Americans and the military too- fighter pilot, fighter jet and so on. The word fight also represents our fight song and the word fighter itself is a signal of toughness and strength, both physically and mentally. No one else in American professional sports has this name as they do in the NBA with the Warriors and it would be our own, while fitting with the city- everything is a fight in DC- and a tough sport like football.

 

One last thing. The most important person in our franchises history is coach Joe Gibbs and I feel he somehow should have at least some influence in the name. As we all know, one of his favorite lines was "Fight our guts out" and Fighters would be in a small way a tribute to one of his rallying cries. Washington Fighters works for me and you seldom go wrong by keeping something simple and fitting. A somewhat simple, but badass logo would finish the name of well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

if they want to do Washington Warriors then it the image should be a generic soldier graphic instead of any Native American image. Something like this:

 

image.png.2b4a9b386ba8ec6f3aa17de7e073bc16.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like fighters.  And warriors without the Native American imagery would also be cool.  I personally like it with the Native American imagery but just worry that it would be seen as a half step.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I say we cut ties with all native American 

Themes, the new name we choose might be ok now but what about 10 years down the road, the redhawks name is kinda growing on me and we can still keep the HTTR 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Washington Fighters. Plain as hell? Yes. However, a warrior is a fighter and Fighters can respectfully honor Native Americans and the military too- fighter pilot, fighter jet and so on. The word fight also represents our fight song and the word fighter itself is a signal of toughness and strength, both physically and mentally. No one else in American professional sports has this name as they do in the NBA with the Warriors and it would be our own, while fitting with the city- everything is a fight in DC- and a tough sport like football.

 

One last thing. The most important person in our franchises history is coach Joe Gibbs and I feel he somehow should have at least some influence in the name. As we all know, one of his favorite lines was "Fight our guts out" and Fighters would be in a small way a tribute to one of his rallying cries. Washington Fighters works for me and you seldom go wrong by keeping something simple and fitting. A somewhat simple, but badass logo would finish the name of well.  

 

 

I like the concept but not the word. "Fighters" just indicates someone who fights. At least "Warriors" conveys strength, fierceness and leadership while they fight.

 

 

 

 

7 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

if they want to do Washington Warriors then it the image should be a generic soldier graphic instead of any Native American image. Something like this:

 

 

With that image, it needs to be something like the Washington Soldiers or Washington Combat or whatever (I can't think up names right now lol). There's no need to use "Warriors" if there is no desire to connect it to NAs. Even the military connects it to NA culture.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jumbo locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic
  • Jumbo locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...