Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says. (Update: resulted in deaths of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, intelligence assessments found)

Figured this needed it's own thread.

The initial story.

WASHINGTON — American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.

The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

Islamist militants, or armed criminal elements closely associated with them, are believed to have collected some bounty money, the officials said. Twenty Americans were killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2019, but it was not clear which killings were under suspicion.

The intelligence finding was briefed to President Trump, and the White House’s National Security Council discussed the problem at an interagency meeting in late March, the officials said. Officials developed a menu of potential options — starting with making a diplomatic complaint to Moscow and a demand that it stop, along with an escalating series of sanctions and other possible responses, but the White House has yet to authorize any step, the officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/politics/russia-afghanistan-bounties.html

The White House's response. (very believable 🙄)

New News

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Sad 1

Which is more believable? Which is more egregious? 

- Trump's intelligence people didn't brief him on this.

- They did, but he didn't read the intelligence report or wasn't paying attention at the briefing. 

- They did, and he did nothing about it and is now lying about not being briefed.

Because one of these has to be true.

Edited by Dan T.
6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Which is more believable? Which is more egregious?  Because one of these has to be true.

- Trump's intelligence people didn't brief him on this.

- They did, but he didn't read the intelligence report it or wasn't paying attention at the briefing. 

- They did, and he did nothing about it and is now lying about not being briefed.

#3. All options terrible.

If you expand #1. He just found out about it and decided to go play golf and tweet out it's fake news instead.

• Sad 1

It's #3 of course, and the spin game is on. Depending on which lie works with his dwindling base,  they go with that as the official lie. 

All Democrats need to call these lies out every day. This alone is treasonable action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if we treat this in a vacuum of him just finding out now...now what?

The answer can't be denial and move on hoping we forget about it.

Trump, your military knows an adversary is paying someone to kill them now. Choose your next words wisely as they are still dying over there.

Narrator - "He did not."

Edited by Renegade7

From the CBS report I posted earlier it seems as if, the admin has moved on from directly attacking the story to leaking contradictory information to muddy the waters.  (One of Putin’s favorite tactics, of course). The intent being that if you can’t convince people that you’re right, you can still make them unsure of what is true and what isn’t.

Edited by visionary
9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Even if we treat this in a vacuum of him just finding out now...now what?

The answer can't be denial and move on hoping we forget about it.

Trump, your military knows an adversary is paying someone to kill them now. Choose your next words wisely as they are still dying over there.

Narrator - "He did not."

I cant imagine active duty miltary can be thinking anything other than this dude does not have our best interests at heart.  

And to be a fly on the wall when the Joint Chiefs sit around talking about this.  They have to sit there watching the Commander in Chief not give a rat's ass about this.  

• Like 2

Trump thought he was being clever because his response said he didnt know anything about Russians killing American troops.  But the report was about Russians paying Taliban to do it, not Russians doing it themselves.

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We need to get serious about possibility of Trump running to hide in Russia if he can't stay in power here.

I fully endorse this. Lots of high windows in Russia

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I fully endorse this. Lots of high windows in Russia

He'll of told them everything he can't tell yet by then, that's my concern.

Can the President be made a flight risk while President?  Can Air Force One day "no" if they know that's why he's asking for a flight to Moscow?

Everything from our cybersecurity weakness to nuclear codes, I am convinced there's nothing he won't tell them in the proper setting if he hasn't told them already, that's a threat we've never seen before.

A Benidict Arnold President.

Trumps' tweet didn't say the same thing at the NYT article.  His tweet mentions "bout the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an “anonymous source” by the Fake News"

The NYT article mentions bounties being placed on US troops.    Clearly he is trying to stay away from the truth. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm sure they could be changed in an instant, depending on perceived threat level

45 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

He's a traitor, and if he's headed to Russia, they will be changed. I'm sure that there are procedures in place for any situation.

Are you sure or hoping there's an actual process?

I feel like I've made assumptions about process that should exist before, then I found impeachment wasn't an actual trial, it's a joke.

Edited by Renegade7
1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you sure or hoping there's an actual process?

I feel like I've made assumptions about process that should exist before, then I found impeachment wasn't an actual trial, it's a joke.

I feel like that for wespons of mass destruction that could destroy entire countries in seconds, then yeah, it's a pretty safe assumption that there would be a fail safe if launch codes (or people with knowledge of them) were compromised.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I feel like that for wespons of mass destruction that could destroy entire countries in seconds, then yeah, it's a pretty safe assumption that there would be a fail safe if launch codes (or people with knowledge of them) were compromised.

That just feels too specific and missing bigger picture of my concern here.  

I know what it's like to get an email saying the change the wifi password, then a follow-up saying to disable someone ones domain account.

How much does this guy know that's only on air-gapped systems? This is an intelligence nightmare of the highest order if he does get to Russia and spills whatever beans he hasn't already.

A nuclear missile silo isn't your work computer.

Many of these systems are purposefully designed for one person to not know too much.  They are the most protected secrets in the entire world.

I highly doubt any president (much less this one) even knows those codes while in office, for good reason (like capture)

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

A nuclear missile silo isn't your work computer.

Many of these systems are purposefully designed for one person to not know too much.  They are the most protected secrets in the entire world.

Intelligence gathering is just as much about aggregation of data as it is verifying. 

This is what made stuxnet so successful, we just needed to know something specific and best way to get it in there, not everything or even 90%.

I'm assuming you trying to calm me down, that's fine. But he also knows stuff that only a select few people are ever supposed to know as well. We gotta take that threat serious.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Intelligence gathering is just as much about aggregation of data as it is verifying. 

This is what made stuxnet so successful, we just needed to know something specific and best way to get it in there, not everything or even 90%.

I'm assuming you trying to calm me down, that's fine. But he also knows stuff that only a select few people are ever supposed to know as well. We gotta take that threat serious.

He knows stuff, sure. What that stuff is,  is highly debatable. It's what used to make us the ideal governmental template, the fact that out leader isnt the one stop shop for all secrets potentially deadly enough to topple nations.

The President has the authority to sign off/give the green light for many things. Doesnt mean he knows, or needs to know exactly how they work

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He knows stuff, sure. What that stuff is,  is highly debatable. It's what used to make us the ideal governmental template, the fact that out leader isnt the one stop shop for all secrets potentially deadly enough to topple nations.

The President has the authority to sign off/give the green light for many things. Doesnt mean he knows, or needs to know exactly how they work

Fair point, does that mean we should shrug our shoulders at Trump telling Russia everything he does know or that's what he's going to do if our Intelligence confirms that?

This thread is about him doing nothing about our adversaies trying to kill Americans, yes I'm trying to keep my anxiety in check on what if he actually tries to help them outside of ignoring it.

This is why this story is about to get bigger, a line has been crossed that opens the door for questions we hoped wed never have to ask.  I don't have anymore safe assumptions with this guy if he's fine with Russia paying folks we're trying to sign a peace treaty with to kill American soliders at the same time.

This is worse then turning a blind eye to China ripping out Muslims organs for the black market to get a better trade deal with them.  This is Americans dying, our own military getting killed.  Who else will he throw under the bus and for what reason? We shouldve seen this coming the way he talked about McCain.

Trump isn't spyware hes a f'n rootkit. I can see the disgusting level of transaction pragmatism he's doing with China, but wtf does he get out of this situation with Russia? What does he have to gain from this that in some horrifying way maybe does benefit the US? Nothing.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1