TK

Press Release: Former #Redskins Coach And Franchise Icon Joe Bugel Passes Away At Age 80

Posted (edited)

Saddening news. Gigantic men would run through walls for you, and we were all proud to have you here. RIP Coach

Edited by bowhunter

Bugel should be in the HOF for what he did in Washington....Gibbs would certainly agree. RIP Coach Bugel and thanks for some of the greatest memories of my life,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember watching his retirement presser, and being on the board while watching it, and the general consensus was a whole bunch of us were ready to suit up and run through a wall for the guy.

I also remember going to a training camp practice, don’t remember which year, but one of the Gibbs II years, and it was a fairly ordinary practice until one of the OL jumped, and Buges lost his mind and really got after them, and the crowd loved it.

RIP Coach.  You will be missed.

6 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

If that helps you sleep better at night 🤷‍♂️

And if being picky precise about who was where and responsible for what helps you sleep at night, then whatever.

13 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

If that helps you sleep better at night 🤷‍♂️

Try to keep the unnecessary jerk comments to a minimum in a memorial thread, man.

The argument is same for the 1991 (not 1992, teams are referred to by the season's first year, not the last game/playoffs) Redskins as it is for the 2002 Bucs, especially given that FA hadn't begun at that point.  If you'd give an iota of credit to Dungy for the 2002 Bucs, which anyone would, then you've got to give some credit to Buges for our 1991 line.

• Like 1

RIP Joe...it was impossible to be a Redskins fan and not absolutely love this dude. They don't come any better than him.

• Like 3

Of all the great Buges anecdotes over the decades, this one is still my favorite:

That [82 NFC Championship Game versus Dallas] sparked more memories than just about anything. Starke remembered how Bugel had quit smoking that season, but as the game grew closer and closer, he suddenly slipped off the wagon and became a chain-smoking maniac: "All week, Buges had been urging us to keep our composure, stay in control, and then by the third quarter, he's holding up both middle fingers, pointing them across the sideline and telling (Cowboys defensive coach Ernie) Stautner, 'F--- you!!!!!' He was more out of control than anybody!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

A class person from the best Redskins memories I will probably ever have.  RIP coach Bugel.  Life is so very short and that realization has sunk in as I approach 60 & see classmates and legends fall.  He was, and will always be, one of the great ones.  Hail

On 6/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, celticsalmon said:

The Washington Hogs!

The Washington Bugles.

I kid, but it would be pretty call hearing the bugle calls leading the charge.

RIP Joe! He was a rock on the Redskins sidelines and epitomized what those teams were about. Hard Workers who were Tough as nails..

On 6/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, JCB said:

Of all the great Buges anecdotes over the decades, this one is still my favorite:

Great story.

Reminds me of that scene at the end of "Rocky III" where Creed is telling Rocky to be cool, yet Creed was the least cool of everyone. :)

• Like 1

80 is too young, but I'm not sad per se because my impression is that he was a guy who got everything out of each moment his life had to offer.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:38 AM, Stadium-Armory said:

80 is too young, but I'm not sad per se because my impression is that he was a guy who got everything out of each moment his life had to offer.

80 is too young? 80 is an old age, if he was 60 then I would agree