Sign in to follow this  
Renegade7

Secretly Hoping 2020 Season Canceled???

Do you want 2020 Redskins season is canceled???  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want 2020 Redskins season canceled?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Too Conflicted to answer, pass
    • Too Early to Answer, ask me later

There's approximately zero chance that football could be played with only minimal infection risk. Too much contact and proximity. Way too many people involved, even without fans present.

It's probably too late to save the first part of the season even if a vaccine magically appeared next month.

• Like 1

As much as I'd love to see some football this year...I just don't think it's a smart thing to do.  Too many players and too many coaches, team staff, officials, etc, around.  It's entirely too complicated to make it happen in a reasonable, safe way.  

I made it this far without sports this year, I can keep going.  It sucks, but it is what it is at this point.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It's not that I am against a season happening if the medical science says it is safe, but I have a strong inclination that it isn't going to, yet the NFL will look for every possible corner they can cut in order to get the players on the field.

As it stands now I have Week 14 tickets WSH@SF, but I don't see at this point how I end up at that game.  I certainly am not going to feel comfortable going if they allow full attendance, and if they try social distancing by only allowing 50% capacity or something of the sort, I have no idea who they determine gets in and who doesn't outside of a random raffle or just allowing the most expensive ticket holders in!?

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

It's not that I am against a season happening if the medical science says it is safe, but I have a strong inclination that it isn't going to, yet the NFL will look for every possible corner they can cut in order to get the players on the field.

If whatever they figure out as a plan for a season is considerably more dangerous (virus wise) than the "essential" job I've been doing all year according to experts then I am fine with waiting. Otherwise let the season happen and let any player who does not feel comfortable playing be paid something and their contract extended by a year. 

If its not substantially more dangerous virus wise then it should be up to each individual player to decide what to do with their own life. If state governments decide not to allow their teams to play then those teams won't play. 

No biggie. These are adults, not high school kids. 

I think it's a horrible idea to have any pro sports at this time, especially a full contact sport like football.I live in the new epicenter of the pandemic, Floriduh and we are averaging over 10K new cases per day. 

Also, cancelling the season will give the team brass more time to settle on a new name, work out particulars, test groups, etc

Bonus: Trent Williams misses second consecutive season and will be 33 and even more out of shape next year

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Word is we’re hosting Tom Brady and the buccaneers in week 3 (AKA final week) of the preseason, Saturday August 29th.  I mean, if preseason doesn’t end up getting canceled. 

RG3 did tweet that sources say there will be no preseason though, so i have No idea.

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

5 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Bonus: Trent Williams misses second consecutive season and will be 33 and even more out of shape next year

Smdh : )

BrightJoyousCrocodileskink-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I hope there's no nfl season this year just because of all the sjw nonsense this year.

I watch sports for top level competition, not leftist political bull****. If they want to politic they can do it on their time and their dime, not mine.

I vote for cancel.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Fake crowds in the stands, teams compromised by all sorts of restrictions, plus all of the political and, yes, anti American undercurrents. I am now in favor of no organized sports of any kind until 2021 spring sports. The NBA format this year is a complete fiasco, MLB having all kinds of issues, NCAA talking about only regional games to curtail travel. Just forget it. Or just call the NFL TV games the Joe Buck Show because he will call every game as if it was the Super Bowl with a big dose of political commentary thrown in.

• Like 3

Its already cancelled for me, Iv haven't lived in the DC area in so many years I have no more connection to the team based solely on the city so a complete reboot of the team name along with the logo and potentially a color swap would leave me with what exactly ? A team owned by a owner i have been repulsed by for over 20 years ? A bunch of year in and year out underachievers.  I guess in the grand scheme of things i should be more focused on the feelings of others and alot of people are going to really be impacted in a POSITIVE way by this name change ( or so I'm told ) , I should be focused on the fact my entire family is healthy myself included, thats greater than any game being played. 

But I'd be lying if i said losing my Redskins, the team i have loved for over 40 years didn't hurt a bit. 

• Like 4

So, apparently the nfl has no problem with teams bashing into eachother for 60 minutes, but isn’t going to allow post game interactions (bye bye jersey exchange)? LOL that’s a complete joke....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hard to see how it happens at this point. Truly incredible we can't deal with this as a country. No football, probably no school, can't even travel because no other country will be letting Americans in. 2020 BLOWS.

Is there any indications on what would happen in the draft if the league year is cancelled?  Same draft order, modified lottery, total lottery?  Second round pick might be pretty valuable next year filling a big gap on the line.  With our young team I think some football would be extremely beneficial, but I'm not seeing a clear safe path right now to play football.

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, Boss_Hogg said:

I think it's a horrible idea to have any pro sports at this time, especially a full contact sport like football.I live in the new epicenter of the pandemic, Floriduh and we are averaging over 10K new cases per day. 

Also, cancelling the season will give the team brass more time to settle on a new name, work out particulars, test groups, etc

It's all ultimately a fools errand. The NFL can and apparently will begin the season and even play a few games in empty coliseums but there is a near 0% probability that they will actually complete the season.

Football is a brutal full contact face to face sport. Players are going to get infected and will in turn infect each other no matter what precautions are taken-- that is unavoidable.

When a player on a team gets the virus you have to assume that other members of that team may be infected as well. You also have to assume the same for members of the last team that player played against.

How do you then allow either team to play the following week? Perhaps you could give them an emergency bye week to give time for everyone else to be tested before playing again but what do you do the next time someones infected? It would be sheer chaos.

To complete the season the NFL would have to take a mercenary last man standing, we aint stopping this train for nobody approach. They would be forced to treat the players like disposable circus animals and the players would have to agree to that treatment and the incumbent risk to themselves and their families. 

I just don't see an outcome that makes football, of all sports, realistically feasible until there is both an effective treatment protocol and most critically a proven vaccine.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the players might just refuse to play in the end.

Must be nice to have the option of going to work and still getting paid millions. Most of us dont have that luxury.

As long as they can stay healthy, I think people need football.  The players, the coaches, the fans.  But like I said the health part is what’s important.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Must be nice to have the option of going to work and still getting paid millions. Most of us dont have that luxury.

Agreed. I suspect a number of younger and more marginal guys may not have the financial cushion to skip the season.

Edited by profusion

On 7/6/2020 at 10:40 PM, NoCalMike said:

What is Medical Science?   Seems highly influenced by politics/media.  

To watch "news"  It would seem that democratic cities would be able to play because they have handled the situation so brilliantly while Red "Skin" states are in a complete death spiral so no way they could play.

Narrative matters. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

What is Medical Science?   Seems highly influenced by politics/media.  

To watch "news"  It would seem that democratic cities would be able to play because they have handled the situation so brilliantly while Red "Skin" states are in a complete death spiral so no way they could play.

Narrative matters. 

I started to post a well though out response, but that response doesn’t belong in, ‘The Stadium’. Neither does your poorly thought out post, which is purely about politics and has nothing to do with science, or football. Maybe keep that kind of posting where it belongs. 

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

Hard to see how it happens at this point. Truly incredible we can't deal with this as a country. No football, probably no school, can't even travel because no other country will be letting Americans in. 2020 BLOWS.

Governor here just announced schools will be opened back up this fall..yes I agree 2020 BLOWS!!

14 hours ago, pigskinned said:

I already feel burnt out on football for the year after the current fiasco.

God no **** huh..are we sure we want _________ football after all this?..

On 7/9/2020 at 12:33 AM, crabbypatty said:

I hope there's no nfl season this year just because of all the sjw nonsense this year.

I watch sports for top level competition, not leftist political bull****. If they want to politic they can do it on their time and their dime, not mine.

I vote for cancel.

where are you watching the games?  Cause if you aren't at the stadium, you aren't paying jack

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1