Sign in to follow this  
Renegade7

Secretly Hoping 2020 Season Canceled???

Do you want 2020 Redskins season is canceled???  

181 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you want 2020 Redskins season canceled?

    • Yes
      26
    • No
      115
    • I don't know
      3
    • I don't care
      17
    • Too Conflicted to answer, pass
      6
    • Too Early to Answer, ask me later
      14


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, RVAskins said:

While I don't want the 2020 season canceled I think it will be at some point. Once training camp starts and players test positive for Covid-19, I think the NFL will postpone the start of the season and then eventually cancel it.


 

Probably if there’s no vaccine by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't know how they pull of a legit season.  We are already seeing player in other sports declining, this could very well happen in the NFL.  Once a star player tests positive he must sit out 2 weeks. I guess you could argue that is no different than an injury but it will be league wide and rampant. The games could look the replacement games with no name players throughout the rosters to fill in spots.  Can we really call a season void of so many regular players (potentially) a real season?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

 

Yeah, this is sort of where I come down on the topic. I think the NFL will do everything in their power to have a season, but all it is going to take is one team to have an outbreak for the season to be canceled. Or at last lengthily delayed. And could you imagine if the Bucs started the season 4-0 and Brady, Godwin, Evans and Gronk all got COVID? Bucs would basically forfeit 3 games while those guys isolated. I just can't see how the season can take place given the outbreaks that are occurring all over the country. Unless the NFL has a plan to "push through" and accept a certain level of infection among players (assuming they are able to stay relatively low-symptom).

 

But could you imagine if a couple players went into ICU? THe optics? I just don't see it happening, and COVID isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so not sure how it's possible.

The NFL will have some sort of season. It maybe delayed but the will have a season but the season is likely to be short. I say they will be able to play 8 to 10 games but there will be no playoffs. 2020 NFL champion, will be team with best record.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I honestly don't know how they pull of a legit season.  We are already seeing player in other sports declining, this could very well happen in the NFL.  Once a star player tests positive he must sit out 2 weeks. I guess you could argue that is no different than an injury but it will be league wide and rampant. The games could look the replacement games with no name players throughout the rosters to fill in spots.  Can we really call a season void of so many regular players (potentially) a real season?  

Yes.

 

Do you call the 82 season not legit because the strike only allowed 9 games? Do you call the 87 season not legit because one game was cancelled and 3 were played with replacement players?

 

Who won the Super Bowl those 2 seasons?

 

Whatever amount of football is played this year will be legit. If they can have playoffs, then the champion will be regarded in the same way the 82,87 champions are. I only see an *, if no playoffs can be played this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No secret about it. Right now, I really couldn't care less if they played a season. Any sport, for that matter.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Yes.

 

Do you call the 82 season not legit because the strike only allowed 9 games? Do you call the 87 season not legit because one game was cancelled and 3 were played with replacement players?

 

Who won the Super Bowl those 2 seasons?

 

Whatever amount of football is played this year will be legit. If they can have playoffs, then the champion will be regarded in the same way the 82,87 champions are. I only see an *, if no playoffs can be played this year.

 

 

I thought about those strike years after making my post but those were a different situations.  We could potentially have a  massive run of players deciding as Ryan Zimmerman has decided.  Next you could have an outbreak that takes out your entire offensive line and the starting and backup QBs for 2 games or more. The number of regular players who needed replacing  could potentially make the entire season resemble those replacement player games to some extent.  I have serious doubts baseball can complete their season given all of the potential problems.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they will be able to finish this season due to virus situation.   Also each state's governors are making different decisions about what venues can bo opened

and which must be closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why not move all US sports to a country like Australia or Canada that seems to be in far better shape than we are in. Quarantine all players/staff/etc that would need to travel to new country for 2 weeks. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preseason weeks 1 and 4 officially canceled. That means we’ll be @ Colts (MNF on ESPN) and then @ Jaguars. I know It’s only preseason, but this means some teams won’t get a home game this preseason. 
 

not like fans were going to be at games anyway, but still. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Preseason weeks 1 and 4 officially canceled. That means we’ll be @ Colts (MNF on ESPN) and then @ Jaguars. I know It’s only preseason, but this means some teams won’t get a home game this preseason. 
 

not like fans were going to be at games anyway, but still. 

 

I guess it's more of a travel consideration now (in terms of playing at home or away). Let's see when we get there if the remaining two games even happen. 

 

And if they do...do you use that time to work with your starters to get them in sync in a new system etc., or actually evaluate the deep depth you signed for camp? Not a lot of time to do both in just two games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Preseason weeks 1 and 4 officially canceled. That means we’ll be @ Colts (MNF on ESPN) and then @ Jaguars. I know It’s only preseason, but this means some teams won’t get a home game this preseason. 
 

not like fans were going to be at games anyway, but still. 

 

Nothing is official yet.  ESPN's source says that weeks one and four will be cancelled, but that every team will have one home and one away game.  Basically, there is nothing about the preseason schedule that is set in stone.  If this turns out to be true, I would expect an official announcement with details of the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CTennant said:

 

Nothing is official yet.  ESPN's source says that weeks one and four will be cancelled, but that every team will have one home and one away game.  Basically, there is nothing about the preseason schedule that is set in stone.  If this turns out to be true, I would expect an official announcement with details of the games.

ESPN writer Kevin Seifert says the weeks 1 and 4 cancellation is indeed official. I didnt read the article, only the tweet, before posting my earlier comment, but the article says re-shuffling of the original preseason schedule for weeks 2 and 3 are underway and that each team will play one home game and one on the road. 
 

I guess We’ll find out by the end of this week if that just means one of our two games (one of @colts and @jaguars) will switch to FedEx Field or if we’ll have two whole new opponents for weeks 2 and 3 instead. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

I guess it's more of a travel consideration now (in terms of playing at home or away). Let's see when we get there if the remaining two games even happen. 

 

And if they do...do you use that time to work with your starters to get them in sync in a new system etc., or actually evaluate the deep depth you signed for camp? Not a lot of time to do both in just two games

 

I'd say prioritize establishing depth knowing players will test positive and depth is only chance we'll have at getting through it if they let us play at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ntotoro said:

No secret about it. Right now, I really couldn't care less if they played a season. Any sport, for that matter.

This is where I'm leaning...shut it all down..ghost town USA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slinky said:

why not move all US sports to a country like Australia or Canada that seems to be in far better shape than we are in. Quarantine all players/staff/etc that would need to travel to new country for 2 weeks. 

 

Sorta like the UFC doing Fight Island ?

Can they find a sanitary island to make it Football Island ?

 

 

 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

The NFL will have some sort of season. It maybe delayed but the will have a season but the season is likely to be short. I say they will be able to play 8 to 10 games but there will be no playoffs. 2020 NFL champion, will be team with best record.

 

Our strike season may be a decent precedent for this. Not too similar obviously, because one is a strike and one is a pandemic.

But we can take from that, that they would probably be willing to have a season of about 9 games, and crown a SB champion based on that.

I'm not sold on that, though...

I mean...if you wanna crown 'em, then crown their ***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading about how the nfl player reps phone call went today...i dont see how a season even happens at all, as much as i want one to happen. 
 

-players could face fines for conduct detrimental if they’re found to spread COVID by engaging in reckless behavior (going out to restaurants or riding in an Uber)

-some players unhappy with proposed face shields, concern about effect on vision and breathing while playing 

-definitely some sentiment of “why are we playing if it’s this unsafe?”

 

I’m getting less and less optimistic by the day....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

After reading about how the nfl player reps phone call went today...i dont see how a season even happens at all, as much as i want one to happen. 
 

-players could face fines for conduct detrimental if they’re found to spread COVID by engaging in reckless behavior (going out to restaurants or riding in an Uber)

-some players unhappy with proposed face shields, concern about effect on vision and breathing while playing 

-definitely some sentiment of “why are we playing if it’s this unsafe?”

 

I’m getting less and less optimistic by the day....

I'm split on rather I want a season or not...to think theres a possibility of there being no football for the year makes me sick to my stomach..walking out to take the kids to the bus stop and that fresh fall smell in the air or even fresh blanket of snow on the ground then to think nope no football this Sunday would be hard to handle..but I know if it takes no nfl season to put this yukky virus away I'm for it...but again I'm in no mans land so what worry do I have of catching it haha..totally a joke..unless things clear up I see the chances of a season happening dropping daily.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@bakedtater1 I too would have to get used to the idea of certain expectations when the earth smells or feels a certain way outside not lining up anymore.

 

One silver lining is giving players with injury histories chance to fully heal, like Love, Guice, and Foster.

Edited by Renegade7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@bakedtater1 I too would have to get used to the idea of certain expectations when the earth smells or feels a certain way outside not lining up anymore.

 

One silver lining is giving players with injury histories chance to fully heal, like Love, Guice, and Foster.

They will just get injured again, when football comes back.

 

The only reason all the sports is happening is money. The owners want money. For the players who play, probably depends on sport. I think LeBron wants to play because he wants championship #4 and feels he can win it this year.

 

It will be interesting to see how many players sit out, if we h ave a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFLPA is on a phone call now, and one possible camp schedule they’ve thrown around is:

 

3 days: medical/equipment 

21 days: strength and conditioning 

10 days: unpadded practice 

14 days: practice (10 max/8 padded)

 

then straight into week 1 games, no preseason. 
 

i have a Feeling the product on the field is going to be even worse than most years in September. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

They will just get injured again, when football comes back.

 

You may be right, but their chances of reinjury increase if they come back too early.

 

If anything if any of those three get injured in 2021 or not ready for next season, jus auto-cut them.

 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

The only reason all the sports is happening is money. The owners want money. For the players who play, probably depends on sport. I think LeBron wants to play because he wants championship #4 and feels he can win it this year.

 

It will be interesting to see how many players sit out, if we h ave a season.

 

I would agree some players may prioritize winning over their own safety or others. But that I think that's because of how competitive they are and what stage of grief they are at.

 

If any of our players come out and say they dont feel safe, in not doing argue with them from the safety of my own house.

 

For our franchise a canceled season would by us time to transition with the name change.  Not that I want to talk about that here, but that's in my mind and in speaking about more in the tailgate where for now I think it would be more appropriate.

 

Not trying to control the conversation too much, jus speaking outloud and trying to keep the thread open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of players javr enough money saved to live off of, a lot of players probably need that paycheck also though. Most people weren't fiscally planned for this type of insanity - nfl players also. Unemployment won't stop them from defaultimg on loans they took out when they thought they'd be millionaires. 

 

Uggh. Who knows, this is a small thing but feels huge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the NFL and players want to avoid financial catastrophe they are going to have to have some sort of season.  Players would lose an entire year out of their short careers and would immediately have to compete against two rookie classes.  NFL owners wouldn't have money to pay out salaries or make payments on the substantial debt required to maintain their franchises.  I wouldn't be surprised if some teams went bankrupt.  The salary cap would be seriously disrupted for years to come and financial difficulties by teams and players would lay the grounds for labor strife.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"WEAR A MASK OR THERE WILL BE NO FOOTBALL" should be coming out of every politician's mouth. Might actually make a difference.

 

Unfortunately, I think it's too late. Schools will be closed and there will be no football this year. Thank you for making my life a huge nightmare, 'Murica!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.