Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Secretly Hoping 2020 Season Canceled???

Renegade7

Do you want 2020 Redskins season is canceled???  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want 2020 Redskins season canceled?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Too Conflicted to answer, pass
    • Too Early to Answer, ask me later

If anyone is rooting for the NFL season to be cancelled than why be a fan at all? In other words, you'd give up a full season of football just to hope we get another #2 pick? Not me. We need football in the worst way....college and pro. Our country is crumbling around us and sports are needed.....obtw, we'er gonna win the division this year. 

I don’t want the season canceled, but that’s mostly out of my own selfishness than any kind of redskins strategery. I just down think long run it works out better for us than any of the other 32 teams. You can’t develop on the bench and your sure can’t develope quarantined at home... Letting Haskins sit a year behind air won’t really help him develop.... 

also, I doubt we would get another 2nd draft pick, there would likely be a weighted lottery....

On 6/14/2020 at 5:15 AM, Renegade7 said:

This is NOT a coronavirus thread, this is strictly about the possible advantages to a canceled 2020 season for the Redskins.

There are plenty of COVID threads in the tailgate, this Stadium one is Redskins related:

I don't know how you can't answer the question you pose without referencing the virus as the two are inextricably linked? And I don't foresee ANY positives in cancelling, even from a Redskins perspective, if not for health reasons and saving lives. That would just be totally wrong and non-sensical. Football is completely immaterial in this to me and it purely comes down to peoples health and saving lives.  

So to keep this brief,  as we currently stand, yes, I'm openly, not just secretly, hoping the season is cancelled as I type. 

If, as seems likely, they return behind closed doors, than I have ZERO interest in watching. Being a 'little bit more safe', isn't 100% safe. If there's no fans  in the stadium, there's no game. The TV spectacle is nothing more than a watered down practice session without the ambience and fan interaction. 

Football without fans is NOTHING!

I'd rather wait as long it takes to get fully on top of the pandemic until it is totally safe for all to return to the stadiums. However long that takes. Sadly, the money men/ owners  have ulterior reasons for getting football/ sports back. 

Again, sorry that isn't exactly the answer you are after mate but I don't know how to answer it any other way as there'd be no talk of any cancellation without this horrific killer that's irrevocably changed our lives for ever. 

Stay in as much as you can bud and keep you and yours safe. 

Hail. 

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If they switched this NFL season to Flag Football for safety precautions, I think that would give us a Super Bowl advantage due to all our tackling issues

Flag football is still too risky. Remember, with social distancing you shouldn't be able to get within six feet. Therefore, all NFL plays should be seven on seven drills where in if the defender gets within six feet the player is tackled. If a defender gets closer than six feet a personal foul is committed and the team advances fifteen yards. Likewise, any offensive player engaging in smack talk will be personalized as yelling projects water at least twenty feet.

Additionally, all players' helmets will be fitted with Jedi training helmets with the blast shield down. They need to use the Force to know when the ball is coming.

What was the purpose of the blast shield in Luke's saber training ...

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If anyone is rooting for the NFL season to be cancelled than why be a fan at all? In other words, you'd give up a full season of football just to hope we get another #2 pick? Not me. We need football in the worst way....college and pro. Our country is crumbling around us and sports are needed.....obtw, we'er gonna win the division this year. 

I don't approve of pulling fan cards here.

I was told to sit in my corner while the majority of the board was hoping Dallas would beat us so we could draft Young and I was one of the few who kept voicing my displeasure on that.

That was just a couple months ago, this issue does not exist in a vaccum.

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't know how you can't answer the question you pose as the two are inextricably linked? And I don't foresee ANY positives in cancelling, even from a Redskins perspective, if not for health reasons and saving lives. That would just be totally wrong and non-sensical. Football is completely immaterial in this to me and it purely comes down to peoples health and saving lives.  

So to keep this brief,  as we currently stand, yes, I'm openly, not just secretly, hoping the season is cancelled as I type. 

No, I was hoping someone would respond in a way you just did that would not get the thread closed as too tailgaty.

Keep talking straight, there's no need to sugar coat. I predict this conversation is going to change if and when our own current players and coaches start testing positive.

And no, I don't know the best way to talk about that here, so I'll probably go to the other coronavirus stadium thread I put in OP thinking that's where it will get posted if it does.

If, as seems likely, they return behind closed doors, than I have ZERO interest in watching. Being a 'little bit more safe', isn't 100% safe. If there's no fans  in the stadium, there's no game. The TV spectacle is nothing more than a watered down practice session without the ambience and fan interaction. 

Football without fans is NOTHING!

This was actually one of my points in the OP.  We will lose the advantage of the fans helping the strength of our team that's going to need to carry us, the defense.  It's bad enough when the stadium was damn near empty by choice, could be demoralizing them at some point. And F no to pumped in crowd noise.  Dallas has the equipment to probably be heard from the moon, how do you regulate that?

I'd rather wait as long it takes to get fully on top of the pandemic until it is totally safe for all to return to the stadiums. However long that takes. Sadly, the money men/ owners  have ulterior reasons for getting football/ sports back. 

Hate to say this, but if this happens, I see no indication the owners won't throw as many players under the bus as possible.  That's a solid reason as of right now to root against this alone, I don't believe NFLPA has same type of power as some other unions, been trying to get more answers in this thread.

Again, sorry that isn't exactly the answer you are after mate but I don't know how to answer it any other way as there'd be no talk of any cancellation without this horrific killer that's irrevocably changed our lives for ever. 

Honestly, I'm thinking a lot of what you thinking, but I don't see the board being given a lot of leyway on how to talk both at the same time before the season is canceled.  Trying to be fair to the mods considering reality plus what's already going on in the tailgate.

You absolutely right, we can't not talk about this and ignore the elephant in the room, but if we only talk the elephant (which wouldn't be hard considering how big it is), this thread will get closed and we'll be back to square one trying to figure out how to have this conversation from a Redskins fans perspective.

Stay in as much as you can bud and keep you and yours safe. 

Hail. 

You do the same, bro. One positive I can take from the last couple of months is how much "stay safe" has been genuinely used a lot more to end conversations in everyday life. Indeed that should be the priority.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:48 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

however....IF there’s no NFL season, then obviously that would mean there’s no college football season either, and while yes, i think we’d be given #2 pick in that event...how would teams know who to draft? Like....what do we go off of, for the 2021 nfl draft, tape from the 2019 college football season? Who would be available to be drafted, that sorta stuff.

So my short answer is no. I want, maybe even need the NFL season. But there is a silver lining in this ... and that is the #2 overall pick. I have to assume that is the pick we will get.

There are very much drafts where you just do not know before the college season who the Top 5 is going to be. You might have a good idea, but rarely do all of the Top 5 stick in the Top 5, and beyond that it's a total crapshoot. Look at some of the mock drafts after the 2019 draft. Some guys who were placed in the first round didn't even get drafted in 2020.

That being said, we will be 100% safe with the #2 pick. There are 3 sure-fire, elite talents (Trevor Lawrence, Jamar Chase, Penei Sewell) in the 2020 draft and probably 4-5 (LB Micah Parsons, CB Shaun Wade, CB Patrick Surtain, WR Devonta Smith, QB Justin Fields) ... players that I am confident of being Top 15 picks. Now if you told me right now the season would be cancelled and we would get Surtain, Wade, Fields or Parsons I wouldn't be happy. If you told me the season was cancelled and we got Chase or Sewell, I would be happy.

I don't think there's much to change the status of Sewell, Lawrence and Chase except for a major injury. The Bengals likely wouldn't draft Lawrence #1 but they'd probably trade out of #1 for a fortune. If they take Sewell, then I think we probably trade-out as well, possibly with someone within the Top 3/4 picks and stay within range of Chase and Sewell.

Sewell would be a franchise-changer for the current makeup of the roster. Slide Charles to LG or RT ...

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You sound a little more knowledgeable on this then I am.

What do you think is the point in the season that it would count as a league year?  Is it similar to the timeframe that forced Trent to report?

I would figure if they did cancel the season then no one gets a league year and everything should get put on pause, like 2020 never happened but everyone is a year old, same rate for everyone.

Gotta believe there's a way the NFLPA will step in and stop the owners from mass laying off their members to save money, I was thinking more towards obscene contracts that teams can't wait to get out of, which would make sense depending on how this goes, but not applicable it a cap freeze, right?

I think it counts regardless.

The problem with the league year not happening:

You have a second rookie class coming in to the team. That means that 2x class of rookies will have their contracts come up at the same time. It also means the vets are going to take some rookies places. It also means rookies are going to push out vets. It means a lot of dead cap. It's like if the NCAA said they are going to let all the seniors have a senior season. Okay, then what do we do with the fresh freshmen? The freshman class is 2x as large. 

Why do people just assume we’ll have the 2nd overall pick again?  I can already imagine how much owners like Jerry Jones will cry about how unfair it is that two of his division rivals are picking top 4 two years in a row without earning it.  I think it’s definitely possible the NFL does a lottery format for non-playoff teams, similar to the NBA. 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:58 AM, Burgold said:

....... If a defender gets closer than six feet a personal foul is committed and the team advances fifteen yards......

Pretty sure this was already on the table even before COVID.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why do people just assume we’ll have the 2nd overall pick again?  I can already imagine how much owners like Jerry Jones will cry about how unfair it is that two of his division rivals are picking top 4 two years in a row without earning it.  I think it’s definitely possible the NFL does a lottery format for non-playoff teams, similar to the NBA. 

Also looking for precedent on that.

Has NFL ever had a season fully locked out before? Not that I know of, so were their preliminary plans for if it got to that point the few times it came close?

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Also looking for precedent on that.

Has NFL ever had a season fully locked out before? Not that I know of, so were their preliminary plans for if it got to that point the few times it came close?

I'm not sure of any precedent.  Just wary of assuming we'll be picking at 2, whether it's because the majority of owners decide to implement a lottery or go through a modified waiver system, etc.

Taking the question as it was posed literally, go ahead and let the rest of the league play but just cancel the Redskins' season. Why not? The main arguments against that would be by all the teams on the Redskins' schedule since the 'Skins are looking at about 4-12 or worse. All of these ideas about how to conduct sports in a virus environment are in sheer desperation and how the players can be expected to perform as if everything was normal is beyond me. NFL is acting like everything is a go but as the season gets closer and camps get more and more difficult to conduct it would not be surprising to see the season tweaked in some way, including the Redskins. Redskins certainly would be a team that would complain the least as the more time off for them the better.

14 hours ago, profusion said:

Nah, let's get em on the field as soon as it's safe.

Well based on the concussion protocols and other requirements in place just to be able to play the game (don't you dare lay a finger on a $100mil QB), football has never been safe. All you have to do is listen to all of the ex players who blame every ailment they have on playing the game. Just add the virus to the list.

23 hours ago, ultravin said:

if they do, does the team get the 2nd overall pick again?   if so, i'm all for it!  go get trevor lawrence!  hahahaha

Gotta assume that the Bengals would trade #1 for a ransom before letting Lawrence fall to #2. Probably to someone like Detroit or Carolina within the Top 7. Skins would probably take Sewell in that scenario. Easy decision too ... similar situation to this year also ... go Edge or trade for a big package ... I think given the uncertainty of talent with the 2020 NCAA season also likely cancelled in this scenario, you probably opt to take the stud.

So in reality, I would see the Bengals taking Sewell or Chase, us taking the other option, and letting Lawrence fall. Skins maybe take Lawrence, but hard to tell how much they'll trust Haskins in that scenario.

Haskins + Sewell or Lawrence?

On 6/16/2020 at 4:06 AM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

also, I doubt we would get another 2nd draft pick, there would likely be a weighted lottery....

agree, just like the supp draft is by grouping teams into sections then allocating exact slots via lottery.

I can see why the season would be canceled, if the US can't get the corona cases under control

I heard doctors use steroids to treat patients with covid, but then Goodell would fine those players with covid lol

I hope it's not canceled, but I know speaking for myself I hate being cooped up in the house all day. 

Sports will give us something to enjoy

Archived