Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/band-lady-a-files-lawsuit-singer-anita-lady-a-white-1302517?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The gall of this band is absolutely ridiculous.  First they try to act woke and change their name from Lady Antebellum to Lady A.  And they didn't bother to check whether anyone else had the name.

Well someone did.  Turns out she's an African American soul singer from LA and she's been performing as Lady A for years.  Her name is Anita White.

So they tried to have negotiations with her to, I guess, get the name from her but talks have stalled.  And now the band formerly known as Lady Antebellum is filing a lawsuit against Anita White for the name, saying that their new name doesn't infringe on her.

The Grammy-winning vocal group filed the lawsuit Wednesday in federal court after negotiations with Anita White broke down in recent weeks. According to the lawsuit, the band is seeking a ruling that their use of the trademark "Lady A" does not infringe on White's alleged trademark rights of the same name. The band is not seeking monetary damages.

The group, made up Hillary Scott, Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood, announced the name change last month, saying they regretted not taking into consideration the word antebellum's associations with slavery.

But White, who has been releasing blues and soul music for years as Lady A, complained publicly that the band never reached out to her before changing their name. Negotiations over the name failed to reach an agreement.

According to the lawsuit, the band applied for trademarks for the name "Lady A" for entertainment services and for use on clothing back in 2010 and no oppositions were filed by any person or entity.

"When we learned that Ms. White had also been performing under the name Lady A, we had heartfelt discussions with her about how we can all come together and make something special and beautiful out of this moment," said the group in a statement. "We never even entertained the idea that she shouldn't also be able to use the name Lady A, and never will — today's action doesn't change that." 

First, they can't take the L and say "Whoops, our bad, we rushed to make a change (and to capitalize and get our name out and noticed during a movement, don't forget about us, we're woke!) and didn't check to see if the name we were adopting was in use by anyone else.  Turns out it was, so back to the drawing board!  Hey, do you fans have any suggestions?"

Second, I cannot stand the sanctimonious language such as "we can all come together and make something special and beautiful out of this moment."  I hope these people fall asleep on railroad tracks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/band-lady-a-files-lawsuit-singer-anita-lady-a-white-1302517?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The gall of this band is absolutely ridiculous.  First they try to act woke and change their name from Lady Antebellum to Lady A.  And they didn't bother to check whether anyone else had the name.

Well someone did.  Turns out she's an African American soul singer from LA and she's been performing as Lady A for years.  Her name is Anita White.

So they tried to have negotiations with her to, I guess, get the name from her but talks have stalled.  And now the band formerly known as Lady Antebellum is filing a lawsuit against Anita White for the name, saying that their new name doesn't infringe on her.

First, they can't take the L and say "Whoops, our bad, we rushed to make a change (and to capitalize and get our name out and noticed during a movement, don't forget about us, we're woke!) and didn't check to see if the name we were adopting was in use by anyone else.  Turns out it was, so back to the drawing board!  Hey, do you fans have any suggestions?"

Second, I cannot stand the sanctimonious language such as "we can all come together and make something special and beautiful out of this moment."  I hope these people fall asleep on railroad tracks.  

Changing it to "Lady A" is like saying "the N word", it still means the same thing...

• Like 1

Utah governor declares state of emergency due to 'civil unrest'

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert (R) late Thursday declared a state of emergency in Salt Lake City following tense demonstrations that saw protesters square off against Salt Lake City police.

Protesters flooded the streets after the Salt Lake County district attorney announced that the May police killing of Bernardo Palacios Carbajal was justified.

"In the case of the Salt Lake City Officer Involved Critical Incident that resulted in the death of Bernardo Palacios Carbajal, District Attorney Sim Gill’s findings provide significant evidence of the justifiable actions of Salt Lake City police officers," Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall (D) said in a statement after the news was released. "This evidence shows that our officers acted according to their training and the state law regarding use of lethal force."

She added: "I know that for some, today’s decision does not feel like justice. It has become increasingly apparent in our city and across the nation that there is a difference between what so many feel is morally correct, and what is considered appropriate and justified under the law."

Palacios was shot on May 23 after a report of someone making "threats with a weapon," according to a CNN report.

According to the report, police fired 34 shots and Palacios had more than a dozen wounds.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Not defending Lady Antebellum but they trademarked Lady A for their merch back in 2010. 

Also..I live really close to where those Maga ****tards tried to paint over the BLM on the city approved street. Doesn't surprise me as CoCo County is full of all types. 

Edited by The Evil Genius