Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Just pointing out - the fact that charges were dropped doesn't necessarily mean the arrest was wrong.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out - the fact that charges were dropped doesn't necessarily mean the arrest was wrong.  

True.  It usually means that you are rich and/or white.

• Like 2
On 4/14/2021 at 11:23 PM, PokerPacker said:

I've been thinking exactly that for the past couple days.  Type 1 TOS phaser also works.

They could make it with dual grips and you would have to press an additional trigger on the off hand in order to fire. 

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

They could make it with dual grips and you would have to press an additional trigger on the off hand in order to fire. 

Don't take away our dreams for Star Trek Phasers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Iirc, they make handguns in some fashion like that...Chris Hayes did a segment on them a few years back. 

Just sayin. 

I'm thinking Chauvin gets convicted of second degree manslaughter.  Carries a max sentence of 10 years, which means he'll probably be out in 4.5   I can't see him getting convicted of second degree.  Third degree is also on the table but I bet the jury buys the "use of force" argument from the prosecution. 

Police in Minnesota round up journalists covering protest, force them on the ground and take pictures of their faces

Journalists covering a protest in a Minneapolis suburb Friday night were forced on their stomachs by law enforcement, rounded up and were only released after having their face and press credentials photographed.

The incident occurred hours after a judge issued a temporary order barring the Minnesota State Patrol from using physical force or chemical agents against journalists, according to court documents. It also barred police from seizing photographic, audio or video recording equipment, or press passes.

Minnesota State Patrol on Saturday said in a statement, "troopers checked and photographed journalists and their credentials and driver's licenses at the scene in order to expedite the identification process."

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

While some journalists were "detained and released during enforcement actions after providing credentials, no journalists have been arrested," MSP said. 

Demonstrators gathered to protest the death of Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, where the 20-year-old Black man was fatally shot by a white police officer during a traffic stop Sunday.

Approximately 500 protesters were marching peacefully until around 9 p.m. when an incident triggered police to start using chemical irritants such as tear gas, pepper balls and projectiles, Jasper Colt, a photojournalist with the USA TODAY Network, reported.

After about 30 minutes, law enforcement told protesters to the leave the area in a loudspeaker announcement calling the demonstration an unlawful assembly. The crowd thinned out, and a small number of protesters and media were left.

“A lot of journalists like myself were slow to leave the area,” Colt said. “We didn’t think we needed to, and we wanted to cover what was happening.”

Colt described police then corralling protesters and media into one group and yelling for them to get “flat on our stomachs.”

Click on the link for the full article

Enough with this police Gestapo garbage.  Being a Police Officer means you also need to respect the citizens you are "protecting".  I don't understand the goals of attacking the George Floyd protestors.  This is not isolated to Minn. either... see New York PD also. 

We have never seen if citizens will kill social workera assigned to stop them without guns.  I know it is a dumb idea... maybe?  Certainly the social workers will not kill anyone accidently.  Yeah, too radical?  

• Like 1

'Our American way of policing is on trial': Law enforcement officers respond to Chauvin trial

As he prepares for work each morning, Tighe O’Meara, the police chief in Ashland, Oregon, tunes in to coverage of the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis officer charged in the killing of George Floyd last year.

O’Meara doesn’t watch to decide whether he thinks Chauvin is guilty; he sees Chauvin’s culpability as “an open-and-shut case.”

He watches for signs of hope for his profession.

He found some in Chauvin’s former colleagues and bosses who broke the so-called blue wall of silence to testify against him. “We need as much of that as possible,” O’Meara said in an interview this week. “We need transparency and integrity above all else.”

But O’Meara, who is white, also sees the trial as a test of whether police can regain the trust of many Americans, most of all the Black and the Latino residents who disproportionately live in high-crime, highly policed neighborhoods.

“If he’s convicted, it will be a strong declaration that we as a society hold police officers to account for their actions,” he said. “If he’s acquitted, it will be an event that takes us in the exact opposite direction.”

When Michael Persley, the police chief in Albany, Georgia, watches the trial, he sees the profession he loves at a crossroads. As a 28-year law enforcement veteran, he says, the trial is a reminder how damaging Floyd’s killing was for policing — and a lesson for his officers to follow use-of-force policies. At the same time, he is a Black man who understands why Floyd’s killing damaged public trust in police.

“It’s hurtful to the law enforcement profession and then it’s a disappointment in my viewpoint from the Black community,” Persley said. “It’s a disappointment to us that that was not a trust-building day.”

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Enough with this police Gestapo garbage.  Being a Police Officer means you also need to respect the citizens you are "protecting".  I don't understand the goals of attacking the George Floyd protestors.  This is not isolated to Minn. either... see New York PD also.

The goal is quite clear.  They are domestic terrorists intent on instilling fear to reaffirm their power over everybody else.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So I'm assuming if the jury comes back quick, its probably an acquittal but if they take their time its debating over what to convict of, but if it takes a long time it could be a mistrial. 

I think the opposite. The guy is on camera kneeling on a guys neck until he died. If it’s quick, it’s because the jurors thought, yep thats murder. If they take a long time to debate, it’s either because they are kicking around the bull**** defenses or because there is one holdout. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 7

I think the jurors are gonna ho hum a bit anyway. I know they watch the news and know how watched this trial is, so even if they have a quick decision to make I think they will take their time making it so they can feel like they have carefully examined the evidence 

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the opposite. The guy is on camera kneeling on a guys neck until he died. If it’s quick, it’s because the jurors thought, yep thats murder. If they take a long time to debate, it’s either because they are kicking around the bull**** defenses or because there is one holdout. 

If you listened to closing arguments, the defense attorney made a case that in order to convict Chauvin, you would have to believe that he was the sole/main cause of Floyd's death, and that Floyd's actions and medical conditions/drug use played no role.   I don't think the prosecution rebutted that argument, and I think they actually agreed with it.  Which is why I think an acquittal would be quick if they are acquitting - they simply agree with that point and thats it.   Whereas with a conviction, there is debating over intent and circumstances and I can see people being split of second degree/third degree/manslaughter.  

8 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If you listened to closing arguments, the defense attorney made a case that in order to convict Chauvin, you would have to believe that he was the sole/main cause of Floyd's death, and that Floyd's actions and medical conditions/drug use played no role.   I don't think the prosecution rebutted that argument, and I think they actually agreed with it.  Which is why I think an acquittal would be quick if they are acquitting - they simply agree with that point and thats it.   Whereas with a conviction, there is debating over intent and circumstances and I can see people being split of second degree/third degree/manslaughter.  

Maybe, I didn’t watch the trial. Reading much into the timing stuff is a crapshoot most of the time. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So, you're saying he's not guilty, because of the way the accused claims the law should be interpreted?  

"No collusion". 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yes, the prosecution rebutted that point about the "sole cause". 

Ok, I must have missed that.  Rewatching closing arguments from prosecution right now.

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, you're saying he's not guilty, because of the way the accused claims the law should be interpreted?  

"No collusion". 

No, I didn't.  I was speculating on how the jury might think/act.   But I honestly can't see them debating for a couple days only to acquit.  But I'm no expert on criminal trials.

It was a dumbass thing for Waters to say. I understand it, but it wasn't a smart move. In one fell swoop she gave the Republicans fresh ammo and may have even given Chauvin a small appeal path.

• Like 2