Jumbo

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Posted (edited)

BBC reporting that charges are being brought on the other 3 officers for aiding and abetting murder. Good news. Not far enough in my opinion - They should all be up for murder but I don't know enough about your laws to know if that is feasible. Chauvin upgraded to Second degree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52915019

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Cause he’s in the lab with the game plan and crushing film all week?

There is a LOT more to team dynamics than X's and O's. Though on field performance is the primary factor in being accepted into a team structure there are other factors beyond that which do matter. Now I'm not saying that Brees position as the QB of the team is at threat - but his leadership position/authoority will be eroded. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, tshile said:

I see klobachar is desperate to be relevant again 

14 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The past week has been devastating to her odds of being the VP pick over Kamala Harris. 

It should be over for both of them, Harris never had a good answer for the number of black folk she put in jail.

It's a bad idea, imo, giving Pence writing material for the VP debate just picking Harris with this going on.

And I think that's semi-OT, but willing to step away, because it's fair to ask what she did to address this while AG in Cali and what is she doing now as a sitting Senator to address this on a national level?

I can trust her as National AG because of her experience, but as VP it's setting her up for failure.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

It doesn't affect him, why should he care?

Is an excellent summary of how this Country got into this mess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

To the surprise of absolutely nobody:

Pentagon chief on shaky ground with White House after breaking with Trump over protest response

Washington (CNN) Secretary of Defense Mark Esper is on shaky ground with the White House after saying Wednesday that he does not support using active duty troops to quell the large-scale protests across the United States triggered by the death of George Floyd and those forces should only be used in a law enforcement role as a last resort.
Wednesday's press briefing by Esper went over poorly at the White House, where he was already viewed to be on shaky ground, multiple people familiar with the matter said.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany would not directly answer Wednesday whether Trump still has confidence in Esper, saying instead, "as of right now Secretary Esper is still Secretary Esper."

Bye, Felicia. 

Edited by mistertim

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right...it's basically stating that if someone accuses you of something you should embrace that characterization. If Snyder thought the name was racist, he should have changed it. He clearly doesn't believe that so why would he think to "sit out" this current situation?

I'm not trying to blow this up, I was just referring to the inevitable backlash that was coming from the social media  world that's all.

Anyway, that's all I'll say, I wasn't angry about it, or disgusted etc.

I have a lot of thoughts on  Drew Brees though...

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

@Sticksboi05 We had a mod warning about veering off topic into team name issue in this thread.  Probably a good idea to edit your post.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, visionary said:

What in the actual **** were people from the Bureau of Prisons doing there? It sounds like they were basically just grabbing anyone from any department and telling them to deal with protesters.

Did Trump wake up on Monday and pull a Gary Oldman from The Professional? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The four officers should be charged with first degree murder, Chauvin was on Floyd's neck for eight minutes, long enough for him to step off. The other three should have urged Chauvin to step off. 

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The four officers should be charged with first degree murder, Chauvin was on Floyd's neck for eight minutes, long enough for him to step off. The other three should have urged Chauvin to step off. 

The lesson from other times we came this close to convictions is not aim too high on charges because of the burden of proof. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove, fail, and they walk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I can understand the sentiment but there's absolutely no way they'd get a first degree murder charge to stick. Unless they could prove that Chauvin knew Floyd prior to his arrest and intentionally stalked him with a premeditated plan to kill him after arresting him, it wouldn't fly. Even second degree murder is not going to be easy to prove.

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Translation: Trump screamed at Esper and threatened his job. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Military is really trying to balance their oath to the Constitution and the CiC.

Future administrations need to find a way to make that easier for them.

Hell, Congress should try it now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks for posting that, I read it, gonna have to read it again to have it sink in more.

It looks like trying to explain charges that can stick because the actions are required to commit the charge you really want to give, right?

I'm scared of them trying to prove he really wanted to kill him, they can get him for stuff that might stick even if the primary charge fails.

I'm not a lawyer or a cop, outside looking in it feels like they moved it to 2nd degree because they felt that will actually stick and not need to play safe with 3rd degree. Also, they aren't done, and I think why you posted that is to show they may be trying to get him to plead guilty.

When an AG comes after you, it reminds of the saying the feds don't charge you unless they know they got what they need and the battle is already over. Him pleading guilty might get this over quicker, then the others will plead, too, knowing there's no way they stand a chance either in court.

I want to believe them being fired limits the built in "protections" cops had in court, they are charged for they did as cops but I so badly want them to treat them like private citizens.