Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

ps - all charges were dropped because they didn’t have a case, to give you an idea of how ridiculous it was to get charged with 5 versions of the same thing. Every one of them was dropped. They weren’t even willing to take it to trial. They were just trying to bully someone. And I imagine it works with people who cannot afford a quality lawyer. 

I'm sure I've told the story once but I got charged with resisting around and obstruction and something else because I said I wanted to speak with a lawyer.  Before I said that, I told the cop I didn't want to say anything unless I was subpoenaed.  When I said I wouldn't speak without it, he said he would charge me so I asked to speak to a lawyer.  Anyways, when we went to court, the judge asked the prosecutor if he had been to law school and said it was an embarrasement to the court that they brought this or the cop even charging it.  

What always bothered me about it wasn't the answering the questions part.  I would have answered if he didn't act like a douchy bully.  It was that I knew I had the money and ability to fight it.  What do they do to people that aren't lucky enough to be in my situation.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

This makes it seem like he’ll get out at some point even if found guilty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-04-19/explainer-what-are-charges-against-chauvin-in-floyd-death%3fcontext=amp

Though I can’t imagine prison life will be kind to him.

He'll never set foot in GP. He'll be locked down immediately. No way in hell would they risk putting him out in a regular prison yard.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyways, when we went to court, the judge asked the prosecutor if he had been to law school and said it was an embarrasement to the court that they brought this or the cop even charging it.  

Yeah, during the early phases the judge learned some aspects of my case where he told the prosecutor something like - we’re gonna take a 15 minute break do you can think about what was just discussed, and I hope you take the whole 15 minutes to think hard about what your next move is. 

when we came back he dropped all the charges. 

and yeah - people that don’t have access to a quality lawyer (I’ve been lectured before on how there are quality public defenders, but you don’t really get to pick so it’s kinda luck...) ... I imagine they turns into a guilty plea on lesser charges simply because they become scared. And rightfully so. Walking into a court being charged with a serious crime is ****ing scary no matter how good you feel about your case. 

• Like 1

Tennessee “Anti-Protest" Bill Would Make Highway Obstruction A Felony

State Senate lawmakers are considering a bill today that would increase the penalty for obstructing a highway from a class A misdemeanor to a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison and a mandatory fine of up to $3,000.

Critics say the legislation is a response to widespread protests over police brutality and is intended to squash further protests.

Kendra Lee, policy manager for the Equity Alliance, explained a felony charge automatically strips a person of their voting rights and believes the legislation aims to deter people from taking to the streets.

"Whether people are protesting against mask mandates, whether people are protesting against police brutality, we have seen people across political parties and political affiliations who have both expressed their freedom to peacefully assemble," Lee explained.

Supporters of Senate Bill 843, sponsored by Sen. Jack Johnson, R-Franklin, and its companion, House Bill 513, sponsored by Rep. Ron Gant, R-Rossville, argued the legislation is needed to maintain law and order and prevent violence.

Lee also pointed out the bill simultaneously gives legal immunity, a particular status where an individual or group cannot be punished for violating a law, to anyone in a vehicle who unintentionally causes injury or death to another person while they're blocking a highway.

"It is not by sheer coincidence this is happening on the heels of the Derek Chauvin trial, and while we are still dealing with police brutality in this nation," Lee contended.

Click on the link for the full article

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah, during the early phases the judge learned some aspects of my case where he told the prosecutor something like - we’re gonna take a 15 minute break do you can think about what was just discussed, and I hope you take the whole 15 minutes to think hard about what your next move is. 

when we came back he dropped all the charges. 

and yeah - people that don’t have access to a quality lawyer (I’ve been lectured before on how there are quality public defenders, but you don’t really get to pick so it’s kinda luck...) ... I imagine they turns into a guilty plea on lesser charges simply because they become scared. And rightfully so. Walking into a court being charged with a serious crime is ****ing scary no matter how good you feel about your case. 

Yeah, there are definitely good public defenders, but even if you're lucky enough to get one, most are so overloaded with cases, they don't have time to take most of them to trial. So they'll usually push you to take plea deals, even if you're innocent, to keep you out of prison or get reduced time. That's how so many innocent people are still marked as felons, and then are screwed when it comes to jobs, govt assistance, etc. Majority of people in prison are either waiting for trial or took plea deals, regardless of guilt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, China said:

Tennessee “Anti-Protest" Bill Would Make Highway Obstruction A Felony

State Senate lawmakers are considering a bill today that would increase the penalty for obstructing a highway from a class A misdemeanor to a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison and a mandatory fine of up to $3,000.

Critics say the legislation is a response to widespread protests over police brutality and is intended to squash further protests.

Kendra Lee, policy manager for the Equity Alliance, explained a felony charge automatically strips a person of their voting rights and believes the legislation aims to deter people from taking to the streets.

"Whether people are protesting against mask mandates, whether people are protesting against police brutality, we have seen people across political parties and political affiliations who have both expressed their freedom to peacefully assemble," Lee explained.

Supporters of Senate Bill 843, sponsored by Sen. Jack Johnson, R-Franklin, and its companion, House Bill 513, sponsored by Rep. Ron Gant, R-Rossville, argued the legislation is needed to maintain law and order and prevent violence.

Lee also pointed out the bill simultaneously gives legal immunity, a particular status where an individual or group cannot be punished for violating a law, to anyone in a vehicle who unintentionally causes injury or death to another person while they're blocking a highway.

"It is not by sheer coincidence this is happening on the heels of the Derek Chauvin trial, and while we are still dealing with police brutality in this nation," Lee contended.

Click on the link for the full article

merlin_179419203_dc99eb4b-efe7-4264-ae6d-c6428cc7b5b8-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, tshile said:

By the way. What’s the explanation for charging manslaughter and 2 counts of murder for the same action?

it doesn’t seem right to me the state should be able to do that. I would think they should be forced to pick their charge they feel is most appropriate and go with that. 

(I realize in this specific context it sucks because you want him on something so you hope you get him on something, but this extends beyond this to have civilians are treated )

It's lesser included charges.  Felony murder is Murder two in Minn (intent to commit third degree assault, which actually and proximately caused Floyd's death).  Depraved indifference is murder three.  Criminal negligence creating unreasonable risk is man two.  Prosecution is leaving it up to the jury to decide where they view Chauvin's actions to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Prosecution is leaving it up to the jury to decide where they view Chauvin's actions to be.

Yeah I understand. It just feels like a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” tactic and that seems like something the state shouldn’t be allowed to do. 

🤷‍♂️ 

it doesn’t really matter just was always curious about that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yeah I understand. It just feels like a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” tactic and that seems like something the state shouldn’t be allowed to do. 

🤷‍♂️ 

it doesn’t really matter just was always curious about that

I can definitely see it backfiring on prosecutors too. This case overwhelmingly showed his guilt, so they probably had a good chance of getting the top charge if that's all there was. But having manslaughter in there might sway them down