Sign in to follow this  
GoSkinsGo

Camping & The Great Outdoors

Recommended Posts

We're setting out for Rocky Gap today to get some fresh air and escape the house. We've got additional camping trips lined up for the next two weeks as we try to get out of the house and away from screens and general technology. 

 

We mainly do car camping but my wife and I have done some back country camping. 

 

Anyone have any good tips and trips or places to visit? 

 

We're going to Point Lookout next weekend and Martinak on the eastern shore the following weekend. Definitely doing Janes Island, Tuckahoe and Greenbriar later this summer. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I was a kid we went to Elk Neck State Park (MD) and it was cool.  Trashed my dads john boat on a sandbar. 

 

Be 53 on tuesday and me and the old lady are heading up to the Sacramento Mountains in southern NM next wed to camp (travel trailer) at 9,000 feet where it's going to be nice and cool while it's a 100 or so at home.  Will probably actually see some Elk up there, ironically.  

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

When I was a kid we went to Elk Neck State Park and it was cool.  Trashed my dads john boat on a sandbar. 

 

Be 53 on tuesday and me and the old lady are heading up to the Sacramento Mountains in southern NM next wed to camp (travel trailer) at 9,000 feet where it's going to be nice and cool while it's a 100 or so at home.  Will probably actually see some Elk up there, ironically.  

 

That's awesome!

 

We've got a wrangler that we are slowly outfitting to do some cross country treks, my long term goal is do Moab. In between I'd like to be able to do some expedition camping before we make any big treks. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet.

 

About 2 hours north are a bunch of state parks in Central PA. Bald Eagle state park has some nice trails. There's a fly-fishing-only stream near Penn State's campus called Fisherman's Paradise. About an hour NW of Rocky Gap is Somerset, PA. There's a bunch of great, little state parks there. About 3 hours north is the Allegheny National Forest. I'm pitching these because there'll prob be less mosquitoes and cooler temps than what you're used to even in VA. Also, 3 hours north of Rocky Gap is Cherry Springs State Park—it's the darkest place in PA, so it's great for viewing stars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, we've been looking at some PA parks. I'll take a look at those. 

 

We're trying to hit the lower areas earlier and then start heading more north / west. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

 

That's awesome!

 

We've got a wrangler that we are slowly outfitting to do some cross country treks, my long term goal is do Moab. In between I'd like to be able to do some expedition camping before we make any big treks. 

I'll be pulling my little R-Pod with my Tacoma.  A perfect combo.  I can get into tight spots you wouldn't believe.  Drove that rig back from Alaska where I bought it.  Now THAT was some awesome camping.  I'm stoked for next week, thanks for the thread!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I'll be pulling my little R-Pod with my Tacoma.  A perfect combo.  I can get into tight spots you wouldn't believe.  Drove that rig back from Alaska where I bought it.  Now THAT was some awesome camping.  I'm stoked for next week, thanks for the thread!

 

If we didn't have kids I would love to get the Ursa Minor camping mod for the jeep. But, kids man they take all the monies. 

 

I'd love to make it up to Alaska. I really want to do the south west, that area looks beautiful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

 

If we didn't have kids I would love to get the Ursa Minor camping mod for the jeep. But, kids man they take all the monies. 

 

I'd love to make it up to Alaska. I really want to do the south west, that area looks beautiful. 

I've recommended stuff out here to a few ESers over the years and none were disappointed.  You ever decide to do it, PM me and I'll set you up.  So very different from camping back east and they don't call us the Land of Enchantment for nada.  AK was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I took it.  Not sorry, thought I might want to move up there, but boy howdy was it expensive.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I've recommended stuff out here to a few ESers over the years and none were disappointed.  You ever decide to do it, PM me and I'll set you up.  So very different from camping back east and they don't call us the Land of Enchantment for nada.  AK was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I took it.  Not sorry, thought I might want to move up there, but boy howdy was it expensive.

 

I seriously considered applying to the forestry service up in Alaska. Wife and I talked it over and it just didn't seem to like the right time and the cost of living vs. pay didn't line up for us. 

 

If we make out west I'll definitely hit you up. Post some pictures of your trip, I'd love to see those if your comfortable with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anything close by to MD? I feel like when I do these hikes they are all on the west coast lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Is there anything close by to MD? I feel like when I do these hikes they are all on the west coast lol

 

A lot depends on what you're looking for and where in MD you're willing to travel too. There are some nice hikes down in Prince Frederick, the Acorn Land Trust is pretty. You can go to the eastern shore Wye Island or Tuckahoe. If you travel to Western MD Rocky Gap is pretty, Alleghany National Forest has some good hikes.

 

If you're doing camping a lot comes down to if you want to do back country style or a more modern with facilities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For hiking the AT is awesome. From Loudoun we join it at various points that are less than an hour away,

 

The Monongahela and George Washington Forests are awesome too.

 

Dolly Sods Wilderness is one place we keep going back to.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey this thread is for me. :) 

 

I’ve recently purchased a decent bit of backpacking gear. There have been a lot of great sales at REI and Backcountry.com lately. It’s a hobby I’m looking to get into more especially as my kids get older and can come with me. I’ve always loved hiking but haven’t ever done an overnight backpacking trip. That changes soon. 

 

I live 7 miles (by road) from the Appalachian Trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of Shenandoah National Park, so there are tons of great spots nearby for me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't been camping since I was a kid, but I bought a tent and sleeping bags at the beginning of the pandemic so me and my 4 year old could backyard camp.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After going through many trails in the area, I’ve come to really appreciate the smaller, off the beaten path trails. Less crowded, just as nice as the more popular ones. 
 

There are some really good trails off of Rockville Pike. We really enjoying walking our dog through the Beach Drive trails.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Haven't been camping since I was a kid, but I bought a tent and sleeping bags at the beginning of the pandemic so me and my 4 year old could backyard camp.  

 

That's awesome, it's a great way to get kids used to sleeping outside. We started doing that with our daughter at the same age, she's 9 now and really enjoys it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GoSkinsGo Rocky Gap Va or MD? If its VA think about driving a lil further out to Greenbrier County WV.

 

I'm trying to make my way out to Old Butt Knob here in NC. Seen the sign a few times never been tho. 

 

Life goal is still to do the Mighty Five in Utah. Ive only been to Zion n Arches which I highly recommend to all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clietas said:

@GoSkinsGo Rocky Gap Va or MD? If its VA think about driving a lil further out to Greenbrier County WV.

 

 

We're going to Rocky Gap in MD. It's the first trip of the year for us, keeping it simple. 

 

I have family in Buchanan WV. I love that area, where I learned to hunt and ride four wheelers. I'll look into Greenbrier County, thanks for the tip. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GoSkinsGo said:

 

A lot depends on what you're looking for and where in MD you're willing to travel too. There are some nice hikes down in Prince Frederick, the Acorn Land Trust is pretty. You can go to the eastern shore Wye Island or Tuckahoe. If you travel to Western MD Rocky Gap is pretty, Alleghany National Forest has some good hikes.

 

If you're doing camping a lot comes down to if you want to do back country style or a more modern with facilities.  

I am willing to drive up 2 to 3 hours for a good hike. I'm in Columbia. 

6 hours ago, clietas said:

@GoSkinsGo 

Life goal is stlll to do the Mighty Five in Utah. Ive only been to Zion n Arches which I highly recommend to all. 

So my friends and I do this every other March.  We plan a trip to watch the opening 3 days of the NCAA tournament in Vegas and then drive to the parks from Sunday-Wednesday.

 

in the last 6 years, we have seen all 5 Utah parks, Grand Canyon, and Joshua Tree.  Cheap to fly into Vegas and we have our drinking fun there and then relax and hike at the parks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with camping in MD is that there not enough tent sites. Everything these days is geared toward RV camping which isn't really camping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

The problem with camping in MD is that there not enough tent sites. Everything these days is geared toward RV camping which isn't really camping.

When you get old and tired it damn sure is.  Happily there are no shortage of spots I can park my trailer that are far, far away from anyone else, where I live.  RV parks are not camping, we'll agree on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is a really cool trail that goes down below the dam at Rocky Gap. When at Greenbrier you can hike the AT to Black Rock to the north or Washington Monument to the south. As others mentioned Dolly Sods, Otter Creek etc in WV are fantastic. Big Schloss in GWNF on the Big Blue trail on the WV VA state line is great. Rip Rap trail in Shenandoah NP has some nice swimming holes, also White Oak canyon. If you like beach camping Cape Lookout is incredible.

Edited by RedskinsFan44
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is into hiking, not camping. 

Personally, I prefer air conditioning and a comfy couch. 

 

Generally I will just pay for their little hiking adventure. I can tell ghost stories and make smores at home. Not to mention that I am a horrible fisherman. 

I don't worry about the wilderness, I hunt. I simply can't get into camping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.