Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Government vs Social Media...

Renegade7

Think it deserves its own thread as I don't think this conversation will be over jus because he leaves.

Ask and ye shall receive. But be careful what you wish for...

BREAKING: President Trump on Thursday signed an executive order that could open the door for federal regulators to punish Facebook, Google and Twitter for the way they police content online.

This story will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/28/trump-social-media-executive-order/

I cant find it yet, just think it will pop up here eventually:

https://www.federalregister.gov/presidential-documents/executive-orders/donald-trump/2020

WASHINGTON — President Trump, who built his political career on the power of a flame-throwing Twitter account, has now gone to war with Twitter, angered that it would presume to fact-check his messages. But the punishment he is threatening could force social media companies to crack down even more on customers just like Mr. Trump.

The executive order that Mr. Trump signed on Thursday strips liability protection in certain cases for companies like Twitter, Google and Facebook for the content on their sites, meaning they could face legal jeopardy if they allowed false and defamatory posts. Without a liability shield, they presumably would have to be more aggressive about policing messages that press the boundaries — like the president’s.

That, of course, is not the outcome Mr. Trump wants. What he wants is to have the freedom to post anything he likes without the companies applying any judgment to his messages, as Twitter did this week when it began appending “get the facts” warnings to some of his false posts on voter fraud. Furious at what he called “censorship” — even though his messages were not in fact deleted — Mr. Trump is wielding the proposed executive order like a club to compel the company to back down.

It may not work even as intended. Plenty of lawyers quickly said on Thursday that he was claiming power to do something he does not have by essentially revising the interpretation of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, the main law passed by Congress in 1996 to lay out the rules of the road for online media. Legal experts predicted such a move would be challenged and possibly struck down by the courts.

Trump’s Order on Social Media Could Harm One Person in Particular: Trump https://nyti.ms/2M9vouC

Changed the title to Government vs Social Media because I do believe Facebook knows they are dividing the country and fine with it, but what does the government do about it?  Certainly forcing them to let them spread their own fake news is not the answer, but what is it?

Twitter Grapples Anew With Its Trump Conundrum

The social media company came under fire — again — for not removing Mr. Trump’s posts that contain falsehoods.

OAKLAND, Calif. — Twitter said last year that it would hide tweets of world leaders behind a warning label if their messages incited harassment or violence.

Click on the link for the full article

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Unconstitutional, but what else is new with this ****ing idiot who gets away with everything under the sun.

Thats one of many things that concern me, you are right, the courts should be able to handle this...

download (8).jpeg

Gotta say, I think a lot of these kinds of tech probably ought to have some kind of liability protection.  But I think there should be justification for that, too.  

I think of the classic situation of a kidnapping, often portrayed by Hollywood.  One of the bid dramatic moments of the kidnapping is the ransom call.  

The ransom call is an essential component of the kidnapping.  

But no, the phone company isn't an accessory to kidnapping.  

They were simply a communications device.  The words spoken over the phone were chosen by the kidnapper, not the phone company.  And the kidnapper is responsible for those words, and that use, not the phone company.  

But then, I'll also reflect back on an argument I used to make, when people were fighting over music piracy.  And ISPs were defying court orders to reveal which used had IP address so-and-so at the time of the crime.  I would argue that, if the ISP is simply a telephone switchboard who connects Party A to Party B, with no oversight of filtering performed (or allowed), then they can't be held responsible for people who use their service to commit a crime.  But, if the FBI traces the ransom call to phone umber 555-1701, and the phone company refuses a court order to reveal the address that phone number goes to, then yes, the phone company is an accessory to kidnapping.  They're actively defying a court order, to shield the kidnapper.  

Similar situation with Twitter.  If Twitter merely connects a sender to his followers, then I'd say they're merely the phone company/post office.  Conveying a message who's content they are not responsible for.  

But, if they start labeling some tweets as untrue?  Then are they liable if they mislabel one?  (Either labeling it or failing to do so?)  

(I'd also observe - the phone company isn't liable for ransom calls.  But, if part of the phone company's business model is listening to every phone call, and sifting through the contents, then are they liable if their service is used for a crime, and they don't stop it?)  

I like Twitter but its a cesspool all around and it could definitely use some standards when it comes to ethics but if he tries to push this order IMO it hurts his voters more than the left.  

I would love for this to go to court so the entire country gets to sit back and watch as the courts vet each and every one of his Tweets. 

I don't see how he wins in that situation.

This one is actually causing at least some push back within the WH among some of the presidents closest and most supportive advisors. 

Here is an article about it: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-draft-executive-order-targeting-social-media-companies-sparks-battle-inside-the-white-house-183406923.html

Here is the paragraph discussing disent: 

White House sources tell Yahoo News that the office of Vice President Mike Pence, National Economic Council Chairman Larry Kudlow and others are making the argument that it will set a bad precedent to signal that the federal government can go after private companies and seek to penalize them for purely political reasons. 

There is also belief that the president will not be successful as he would lose a legal challenge. This one should be interesting. 

Edit: I should add the most interesting part is that his exec order would actualy require social media to be more critical of HIS tweets!  LOL  This is the exact opposite of what he wants. 

Like the White House is really concerned about maybe losing a legal challenge.  Or setting a bad precedent.  

For, say, blanket ignoring of any and all congressional oversight or subpoenas.  

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

Like the White House is really concerned about maybe losing a legal challenge.  Or setting a bad precedent.  

For, say, blanket ignoring of any and all congressional oversight or subpoenas.  

That's not really the point. If he loses in court the executive order cannot be enforced. It's not like the subpoenas that can be ignored. A less cowardly congress would have held the WH in contempt but they are in fact cowards. 

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I bet Twitter tucks its tail between its legs and lets their biggest attraction run the park.

Problem is if they dont and they beat the Government, whats the next step for a group like Facebook who would use that to their advantage? If Social Medial comes out with more influence after this, who stops them? 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

100,000+ deaths. 30+ million unemployed.

Lets go after Twitter!

Honestly, not surprised at all. This is the new normal.

I don't watch CNN much these days, but Don Lemon went at him last night. Like no other anchor I've seen.

39 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I bet Twitter tucks its tail between its legs and lets their biggest attraction run the park.

They wouldn't of smacked him in the face if they werent ready to pull the plug on him.

They don't need him, Twitter is huge.

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m going with “the Executive Order has no actual effect other than a vehicle for Trump to grandstand and claim victory in his BS grievance with Twitter, and everyone has forgotten about it in 2 weeks.”

And, if this isn’t front of mind, 100,000 people are dead, the economy is in shambles, and the President is in a pissing contest with ****ing Twitter. 

@Larry I think Facebook is pushing their luck with this fake blind eye nonsense they are pulling. 

They know they are a conduit, can see every conversation, and that's why they don't want to self-regulate, that's different then the phone company analogy.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/12/03/chicago-police-blame-facebook-for-illegal-gun-drug-sales/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-knows-it-encourages-division-top-executives-nixed-solutions-11590507499

@Llevron if this backfires and social media gets more green lights, the only thing that can stop them is us.  Uninstall Facebook from your phone, within a week folks will get used to it and them stop logging into the web browser.

Only reason I haven't deleted my account is waiting for California to win forcing their version GDPR so I can request right-to-be-forgotten and have them delete everything they have on me. It's about 500MB, I don't go in there and add to it, they have every IP I ever logged in from since I made it and every company that got my information from them, F that.

Just another page in the Trump playbook.

He just wants to be able to sue social media companies.  

And btw, what he really wants, is to be able to sue social media companies if anyone in the entire world, says something bad about him. 

Like if a 15 year old goes on Twitter and calls him a dip****, he wants to be able to sue Twittter.    (personal theory) 

This really is the dumbest executive order ever signed, simply because Baby Trump got his feelings hurt. 

You can’t touch social media companies as long as Section 230 of the CDA is law. I am all for repealing it because it’s biggest beneficiaries are crazy people who spread conspiracy theories unchecked, aka Donald Trump and quite literally every dweeb who voted for him. 

This is a monumentally dumb move in practice and a political own goal in theory. 

Archived