Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:


this is where I’m at too. OL coach has got the unit working much better. would solidify the interior for next season. We have Charles coming back healthy, hopefully. Add another tackle prospect the draft too.

I don't think you can resign both.  Chase has been a stall worth in the sense that he's always available.  However, He's probably an above-average center.  He'll get paid.  We need to resign Scherff.  We drafted Ismael for a reason.  My guess is that Chase gets too much money in FA and we have to reluctantly pass on resigning him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think you can resign both.  Chase has been a stall worth in the sense that he's always available.  However, He's probably an above-average center.  He'll get paid.  We need to resign Scherff.  We drafted Ismael for a reason.  My guess is that Chase gets too much money in FA and we have to reluctantly pass on resigning him.

 

Or conversely do you pass on re-signing Scherff given the risk, save the money, and move Roullier to RG, which he may be more suited for than C? I remember there was talk when Roullier was drafted that he would eventually work out better at guard. He's a big brawler, so it could work.
 

That would leave: Lucas-Schweitzer-Ismael-Roullier-Moses, with Charles, Martin, Christian and a high draft pick challenging for time/roles.

 

Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think you can resign both.  Chase has been a stall worth in the sense that he's always available.  However, He's probably an above-average center.  He'll get paid.  We need to resign Scherff.  We drafted Ismael for a reason.  My guess is that Chase gets too much money in FA and we have to reluctantly pass on resigning him.

Do you mean stalwart?  There's no way Chase could be a stall worth.  For one thing, he doesn't play WR.

 

No way I'd pay Scherff what he's going to want while not paying for "above-average" C who can kick to G if necessary.  That's why you keep both Lez bon temps lez Roullier and Ismael - guys get hurt playing this collision sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

 

 

The thing to remember with Scherff's durability is that he plays through serious injuries when it matters.  Some of those past few seasons where he shut it down and went on IR at the end of the season were after there was nothing left to play for.  If we were still in the hunt, I bet he would have kept playing and wouldn't have missed so many games.

 

Keeping Scherff is a no-brainer for me.  He's a captain and a culture-setter.  Never complains or causes problems.  Switched to guard as a rookie with zero hesitation and has never looked back.  Never held us hostage and has said he wants to be here his whole career.  And he's good and plays a position where there is a market inefficiency that values guards lower than tackles even though they are of similar real value.  And we have cap space.  I really hope we get an extension done.  Scherff is like McLaurin in that having guys like that be your best players creates the right kind of identity for your team.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

 

 

 

This kind of hurts to see.  Biadasz was a fringe round one guy and I still don't understand why he fell to the last pick in the fourth.  He was one of the best A gap run blockers I'd seen in years, and he did all three seasons of college play.  We should have picked him instead of Gandy-Golden or Charles.  Could have plugged and played him at LG and been dominant in the trenches this year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

This kind of hurts to see.  Biadasz was a fringe round one guy and I still don't understand why he fell to the last pick in the fourth.  He was one of the best A gap run blockers I'd seen in years, and he did all three seasons of college play.  We should have picked him instead of Gandy-Golden or Charles.  Could have plugged and played him at LG and been dominant in the trenches this year.

He had major injury concerns. Still does, those knees aren’t gonna hold up. But I agree. I would have absolutely taken a shot at him over AGG, especially with how some of the other WR fell.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

I think we'll try to keep both of Roullier and Scherff, the market for an injury prone RG even with a top quality one won't be superhigh in this cap situation 

A lot of teams are screwed this year because of the stagnant cap. I agree on keeping them. The Moses move to LT seems to have kickstarted at least my own belief that this line is significantly better than I anticipated and I’d like to see some continuity from one year to the next. Naturally it depends on what he’s looking for though. If he wants to be the highest paid guard than I can’t condone it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I have no clue how to rate centers lol It seems like every team likes their center and feel he’s undervalued lol

 

 I found the best way to analyze center play is to repeat what others say and act like I noticed that **** on my own...👍

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

This kind of hurts to see.  Biadasz was a fringe round one guy and I still don't understand why he fell to the last pick in the fourth.  He was one of the best A gap run blockers I'd seen in years, and he did all three seasons of college play.  We should have picked him instead of Gandy-Golden or Charles.  Could have plugged and played him at LG and been dominant in the trenches this year.

 

Agree, I recall you touting him on the draft thread among others. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, carex said:

I think we'll try to keep both of Roullier and Scherff, the market for an injury prone RG even with a top quality one won't be superhigh in this cap situation 

Hope we can keep em both....gotta keep our drafted players if they're productive, helps build the culture and continuity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/2223759/2020/12/01/__trashed-24/?source=emp_shared_article

 

Who is more likely to sign an extension first: Scherff, Settle or Roullier? — Nathan C.

Oh, Chase Roullier, without a doubt. Tim Settle still has a year on his deal, though it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the team looks at the way he’s performed and rewards him the way it did Matt Ioannidis two seasons ago. But Roullier doesn’t have any more time left on his deal, and he’s been a consistent starting presence since he was drafted here in 2017.

In addition to that, he’s played next to several combinations of starting guards and with multiple quarterbacks, and he’s managed to play at a high level despite the changes in personnel. I asked Rivera about that regarding Brandon Scherff and whether the staff grades a player higher if he performs well under those circumstances. He said it does. It’s even more impressive, Rivera said, to be able to stay steady and play well when there are a bunch of moving parts and no consistency.

Roullier’s deal will also be easier to work out than Scherff, who is going to command more. Rivera is continually talking about the importance of continuity on the line and how well the three on the right side — Roullier, Scherff and Morgan Moses — have played because they’ve spent the past four seasons together. I believe that thought will be in the back of the team’s mind, especially if Smith continues to be the guy under center or even if someone else is brought into that position. You just want as much consistency as you can get in those kinds of situations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://theathletic.com/2223759/2020/12/01/__trashed-24/?source=emp_shared_article

 

Who is more likely to sign an extension first: Scherff, Settle or Roullier? — Nathan C.

Oh, Chase Roullier, without a doubt. Tim Settle still has a year on his deal, though it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the team looks at the way he’s performed and rewards him the way it did Matt Ioannidis two seasons ago. But Roullier doesn’t have any more time left on his deal, and he’s been a consistent starting presence since he was drafted here in 2017.

In addition to that, he’s played next to several combinations of starting guards and with multiple quarterbacks, and he’s managed to play at a high level despite the changes in personnel. I asked Rivera about that regarding Brandon Scherff and whether the staff grades a player higher if he performs well under those circumstances. He said it does. It’s even more impressive, Rivera said, to be able to stay steady and play well when there are a bunch of moving parts and no consistency.

Roullier’s deal will also be easier to work out than Scherff, who is going to command more. Rivera is continually talking about the importance of continuity on the line and how well the three on the right side — Roullier, Scherff and Morgan Moses — have played because they’ve spent the past four seasons together. I believe that thought will be in the back of the team’s mind, especially if Smith continues to be the guy under center or even if someone else is brought into that position. You just want as much consistency as you can get in those kinds of situations.


It really depends on what they are seeing in Ismael in practice. If he is looking starter ready, you roll with him. I do like that Chase doesn’t miss games though

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, method man said:


It really depends on what they are seeing in Ismael in practice. If he is looking starter ready, you roll with him. I do like that Chase doesn’t miss games though

 

I think Ismael would be more than our seeming 4th string guard if we were really thinking on starting him next year

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

We should be able to keep Roullier. I can't imagine him being that expensive. He's solid and dependable and more than good enough to be a starter on a contender. Remember the Chiefs starting C last year was Austin Reiter who was once on our Practice Squad I believe.

 

I want to keep Scherff but the idea of paying good players elite money always scares me. Then you factor in the injury history...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We should be able to keep Roullier. I can't imagine him being that expensive. He's solid and dependable and more than good enough to be a starter on a contender. Remember the Chiefs starting C last year was Austin Reiter who was once on our Practice Squad I believe.

 

I want to keep Scherff but the idea of paying good players elite money always scares me. Then you factor in the injury history...

 

no, I don't believe Reiter ever made our PS.  We cut him with the intention of putting him there, but he got picked up

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm hoping we draft a tackle at some point and Saadiq pushes Schweitzer for starting LG next year.

 Yeah I agree Charles LG at looks the place....but I really do think Schweitzer has been very solid. If Scherff goes, Schweitzer to RG isn’t out of the question.

 

For me, neither is Norwell on a bargain deal if cut in Jax. Rivera loved him.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • bakedtater1 changed the title to The 2021 o line thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...