Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

Not too bad considering he faced Chandler Jones. Let's hope he can stabilize his game. Even if the run-blocking still seems to be suspect, he elevated his game significantly. There was also another tweet up there somewhere of someone saying that he was impressive against Jones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Geron C. has had very little playing experience, so a big jump from game 1 to game 2 is actually quite promising. Derrick Dockery sucked his first couple of games starting his rookie season, but became a solid player by the end of the year.

It's so funny what we are reduced to as WFT fans. Using Derrick Dockery as a hopeful example. So funny to be discussing him in 2020. 

Also, I saw Myles Garrett mentioned above. I was cringing thinking about Myles Garrett vs Geron Christian last night. It's going to be a bloodbath. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I was cringing thinking about Myles Garrett vs Geron Christian last night.

But if he can he'd be the man, right?

This reminds me of my rugby days back in college. I played with Dave Schultz son. (For those who don't know who Dave Schutlz is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNUqAOf0Ok). So we were doing a 1-on-1 running/tackling drill. I ended up matched up against Schultz--who was an absolute rock. I tried to get myself psyched up, and I'm not small either (about 6'2" 220 or so then). Coach blew the whistle, and I get absolutely decleated, wind knocked out of me. It was bad--like Sean Taylor-Brian Moorman bad.

I kinda expect it to go like that for Christian.

Edited by Riggo#44

22 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's so funny what we are reduced to as WFT fans. Using Derrick Dockery as a hopeful example. So funny to be discussing him in 2020. 

Also, I saw Myles Garrett mentioned above. I was cringing thinking about Myles Garrett vs Geron Christian last night. It's going to be a bloodbath. 

Garrett prefers to play on the other side of the line. 

Does this mean Christian is good at football and now is the future at LT? This should be a fun year week to week. 

With that said, let’s not be too good Christian, just good enough for a cheap deal that you out play the next 3 years. 

Edited by wit33
  • Haha 2

During the MNF broadcast the commentators mentioned the Raiders had spent a lot of cap space in the offseason on their O-line. something like 50 million this year on that unit. I think this would be a wise investment for us next year. We have spent years of high draft picks on the d-line, we need to accelerate the o-line if we want any chance in competing. I feel like its much wiser to spend on FA's in this area that on skill players who all seem to come with more baggage and expectations.

Just watching that game they were able to open some nice holes for Jacobs and gave Carr more than enough time to throw downfield.

7 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

During the MNF broadcast the commentators mentioned the Raiders had spent a lot of cap space in the offseason on their O-line. something like 50 million this year on that unit. I think this would be a wise investment for us next year. We have spent years of high draft picks on the d-line, we need to accelerate the o-line if we want any chance in competing. I feel like its much wiser to spend on FA's in this area that on skill players who all seem to come with more baggage and expectations.

Just watching that game they were able to open some nice holes for Jacobs and gave Carr more than enough time to throw downfield.

They're also $5.4m over the projected cap next year.

10 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

That doesn't seem like too bad of a number but I'm not a cap expert. We are projected to have 53 million available next year so we should be able to spend some money on some proven vets.

I have a feeling we'll be more active in FA this year, targeting FS, WR, and OL. There are some good options for WR (Godwin, Smith-Schuster to name 2), OL (Stanley, in the unlikely event Eric deCosta suffers amnesia and doesn't tag him, a couple others), Xavier Woods in Dallas is a FA next year--and Dallas is facing some cap issues with Prescott's impending contract. So we'll have options.

• Like 1

That first rep put Geron Christian on notice, but after that one he did a better job setting and dropping his anchor.  His handwork looked a little dodgy and he got into trouble when Jones beat his hands, but he's winning with strong hands and long arms on almost all of those outside rushes.  We need to be patient with this young guy because he has good traits for producing easy wins in pass-pro.  Good slide and mirror feet and the vine arms/huge hands combo that successful tackles often possess.  He needs experience and time to learn.

Wonder why Jones didn't try and go inside more?  He wasn't beating Geron outside much at all, and it looks like the way to get Geron is inside power.  Kind of felt like Jones started mailing it in with his approach.

• Like 3

Chandler Jones had 4 QB hits that game. We are so used to expecting nothing from our OT's. McQueen, everyone has been patient with Christian. He's had 3 years. I am ok with seeing how Chrsitian looks over the next 8 games and even over the whole season. He doesn't deserve some prolonged chance beyond that. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chandler Jones had 4 QB hits that game. We are so used to expecting nothing from our OT's. McQueen, everyone has been patient with Christian. He's had 3 years. I am ok with seeing how Chrsitian looks over the next 8 games and even over the whole season. He doesn't deserve some prolonged chance beyond that. 

Looked like only three came when Geron was blocking him and one of them Dwayne held the ball forever.  Two bad pass pro reps (neither of which was a sack) against a premier edge rusher is a pretty good day.  If he can get better at sitting down on inside power moves and get better with his hands, he could actually end up being a good pass protector.  It's worth our while to develop that.

It's his third year, but he didn't play the first two.  He was a mid round project and this is his first real action.  Sometimes players like him are late bloomers.