Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:33 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Do you re-sign Scherff for the premium he'd command?

Heavens no. Paying OL is a fools game. Can you imagine how silly we'd look if we paid  to keep decent OL such as Flowers when you can just as easily develop cheaper guys like Christian? Our method already has us on a one game win streak

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Heavens no. Paying OL is a fools game. Can you imagine how silly we'd look if we paid  to keep decent OL such as Flowers when you can just as easily develop cheaper guys like Christian? Our method already has us on a one game win streak

i detect sarcasm here....?

that said, paying Flowers 10mil p/y would have been a really bad move too. 

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

i detect sarcasm here....?

that said, paying Flowers 10mil p/y would have been a really bad move too. 

Somewhere around week 10-12 Flowers had proven a viable option worth receiving a multiyear contract. If at that time the team had pursued the signing they would have had a shot at getting him much cheaper. The off season saw the prices sky rocket. I was one in favor of pushing that early extension. I did not like him at the price he finally received.

Since the team has not shown interest in taking the OL serious in FA or drafts, not only should they have extended Flowers early, they should have with Scherff. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

@KDawg  Do you think Christian is one of those guys who could be a solid guard if he moved inside? I have doubts on that myself because he came into the league with below average strength

It’s a good question. As a general rule, if I’m an NFL team and I need help in the interior and a tackle that’s not planning out, I’m giving him interior reps before I move on from him. Chances aren’t always high it’ll succeed, and some guys would likely refuse and be released...

But a guy like Christian should at least be given reps inside before they let go of him. So I’d imagine it’s something they’ll do in practice. 

If he shows proficiency, we’ll see him there or a move there. 

Im not sure he has the strength to play inside. Or the ability to move. But sometimes position changes bring unforeseen positive traits out.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s a good question. As a general rule, if I’m an NFL team and I need help in the interior and a tackle that’s not planning out, I’m giving him interior reps before I move on from him. Chances aren’t always high it’ll succeed, and some guys would likely refuse and be released...

But a guy like Christian should at least be given reps inside before they let go of him. So I’d imagine it’s something they’ll do in practice. 

If he shows proficiency, we’ll see him there or a move there. 

Im not sure he has the strength to play inside. Or the ability to move. But sometimes position changes bring unforeseen positive traits out.

Too bad he’s not playing for Kyle. My guess is being a guard in a ZBS would fit him better than our scheme would

6 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Somewhere around week 10-12 Flowers had proven a viable option worth receiving a multiyear contract. If at that time the team had pursued the signing they would have had a shot at getting him much cheaper. The off season saw the prices sky rocket. I was one in favor of pushing that early extension. I did not like him at the price he finally received.

Since the team has not shown interest in taking the OL serious in FA or drafts, not only should they have extended Flowers early, they should have with Scherff. 

I think it was reported that we would pay Flowers 6-7mil per year. Once the price exceeded that we were out. I don’t see why he would sign here after week 10-12 knowing he would earn far more in free agency.

Im inclined to agree re Scherff. However, the impending cap reduction due to COVID-19 may well work to out advantage with his contract. Cap space could be tight around the league. Plus, I’m not convinced he’s enhancing his value at present.

I hope Scherff is not badly injured. I haven't seen any updates yet. That said, it would be really tough to re-sign him at this point. His play is generally fine, but he misses so many games. As for today, it's possible the o line played better without him though I think the o line in general is one that needs to be rebuilt from top to bottom.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's really time to move on from Scherff next year.

With the money he will demand, it's not worth it, even if his injury decreases that demand somewhat.

He doesn't improve our team enough to justify the contract.

I've been saying this for a while. He'll be 29, that's not a good age to sign someone to a big $$$ long-term contract with his injury history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

I think Scherff's time on this team has come to an end. It's just more money to invest in a new left tackle. As I pointed out, this FA class is exceptionally deep with options at the position

There are also several teams that will need to shed a ton of cap space this offseason, just to get under the cap.

Wish we’d get some information on Charles, we sure as hell need him. Through two weeks my prediction on this unit not being terrible, looks really bad. Also my hope that Christian would breakout and grab the spot, thumbs down. Maybe they’ll find their way, lots of wishing, hoping, and maybe’s with this group. 

• Like 1

Did anyone see that play that Wes Martin was pancaked by...Dwayne Haskins ? And with very little impact

Wasn't the first time I've seen him pancaked.

It's almost like he's so "top heavy" that he's easy to tip over.

I think he should start doin some leg work and squats with Jon Allen and his crew.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 1

Saw on Twitter from some guy that reviews the NFL injuries that he believes Scherff has a high ankle/ MCL sprain. It’s not season ending but will miss a few weeks. So he probably goes on IR. He got blown by on that Haskins fumble. 

I hope it’s Saahdiq Charles time. Geron hasn’t been awful but not good enough. I would like to see Wes Martin at center and move Roullier to LG also. Although I remember Wes playing better at RG last season when Scherff was out, so maybe switch him and play the other Wes at LG.

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Wish we’d get some information on Charles, we sure as hell need him.

Honestly, between him and Fuller, I’m getting extremely frustrated with their medical progression. At this point they should have just put them on 3 game IR instead of wasting a roster spot.

I’m really hoping Ismael and Charles pan out in some capacity. And Moses can play another year at RT. Yes, RT is upgradeable. But with the team likely moving on from Scherff, we are making a weak unit weaker.

I’d be interested in seeing if Charles/Ismael/Roullier can be our interior. With Moses, despite his crippling penalties, that gives us a decent line IF they can handle it, except from OT. Snag a young guard in the middle rounds of the draft (you can find guard studs there...). 

But in my opinion we need to take the best offensive lineman on the board early. And maybe often. Depending on how these other guys pan out. 

Schweitzer may be able to play an interior spot, too. But that remains to be seen.

We don’t have much hope at LT right now unless Charles shows he can play tackle at the NFL level despite the injury.

23 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Flowers had shown, by the end of the preseason, that he was going to be a nice lg for us.

While talking guards, Scherff’s pass blocking has been atrocious.

10 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I love Scherff, but yes time to move on from him.  I initially didn't want to give up on the fifth overall pick, but he won't be worth whatever he is asking.

Wish we addressed the o-line more via the draft and free agency.

12324766-DA88-442F-BA41-899FF9876F4B.gif.b1223fff79f1805e16639555a2031e1f.gif

• Like 2