Sign in to follow this  
bakedtater1

The 2020 o line thread

I went back 8 plus pages looking for an o line thread and didnt see one. So I figured this could be a place to talk about the current o line or what's there of an o line for now. Highlights and what have ya of current players set to be starters and how they could/could not fit in the new system would be nice to have here.

So far I've got..and this is right off the top of my head.

Moses,Scherff,Roulier,?,Christian/rookie from lsu/free agent from atl...Untill I see the production from the o line in live games it's got me scratching my head.

A starting line of this from RR would not surprise me,

LT Lucas

LG Schweitzer

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses 

I’m becoming less concerned about our roster deficiencies at the minute. If we don’t address some needs that I think we have then this becomes very much like an experimental season. Disjointed offseason, potentially disruptive regular season both still possible. Cap restrictions next year also a potential factor I suppose.

That said, I would like to see a clear direction from RR. If it’s about youth and building, I’d like to see that unfold. The OL above would not be true of that approach, so I’m keen to see how they go on the OL. Looks to me like we’ve just patched it up for now.

Also, I’ve said this before about Scherff, but if RR doesn’t want to pay him a LT deal of 15mi+ a year that he’ll likely be demanding, we should consider trading him now and starting Martin at RG. There is no evidence to suggest RR doesn’t, I guess other than Scherff staying on the tag during the season.

Get a couple of draft picks, saving the 15mil in cash and cap this year, start Martin. 

Or lock Scherff up on a LTD prior to the season starting. Hopefully that happens.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

A starting line of this from RR would not surprise me,

LT Lucas

LG Schweitzer

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses 

I’m becoming less concerned about our roster deficiencies at the minute. If we don’t address some needs that I think we have then this becomes very much like an experimental season. Disjointed offseason, potentially disruptive regular season both still possible. Cap restrictions next year also a potential factor I suppose.

That said, I would like to see a clear direction from RR. If it’s about youth and building, I’d like to see that unfold. The OL above would not be true of that approach, so I’m keen to see how they go on the OL. Looks to me like we’ve just patched it up for now.

Also, I’ve said this before about Scherff, but if RR doesn’t want to pay him a LT deal of 15mi+ a year that he’ll likely be demanding, we should consider trading him now and starting Martin at RG. There is no evidence to suggest RR doesn’t, I guess other than Scherff staying on the tag during the season.

Get a couple of draft picks, saving the 15mil in cash and cap this year, start Martin. 

Or lock Scherff up on a LTD prior to the season starting. Hopefully that happens.

That OL is legitimately a contender for worst in the league, you have to be a homer not to see that. OL is different than every other position in the sense that someone else's physical well-being depends on the players, that being the QB. I can understand if RR puts the more experienced players here to protect Haskins. Obviously, if the younger guys are better, then you play them, but that's still unknown. 

That being said, I think we obviously need to improve the talent along our OL now. The only position right now that really doesn't need upgrading is RG, every other position needs to be looked at. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That OL is legitimately a contender for worst in the league, you have to be a homer not to see that.

I do think we being overly optimistic and that's being kind. I'd be trying everything possible to get Jason Peters to handle the LT position for a one-year stopgap and have an open competition for our RT position. Nobody at the T on the roster at present gives me comfort.

Some discussion on the topic on twitter last night.  I am generally optimistic about this roster but I do think O line potentially can be a mess. 

Wes Martin's 37 grade in pass protection is pretty abysmal. Granted he's young.  With Christian, some have said he doesn't play with an edge and some in the building have doubts about him for that reason.  Schweitzer has mostly been a backup.  I like Charles but with 33 inch arms and multiple suspensions in college, is he the answer at LT?  Maybe.  But it's a wildcard.  I am one of the bigger Scherff fans on the board but I need to see him stay healthy.

It's tough to rebuild a team all at once.  So I got no issue with what we got going now on O line.  But it wouldn't shock me if next off season is focused on this spot. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.09.04 AM.png

• Like 1

Lost elite..get that?..everyone seeing that?..ELITE...Bill Callahan..its totally understandable though with a whole new coaching staff..thanks for posting that sip..gives me an idea as to who would start if the season started today...Lucas is the dude from atl right?..at least he's experienced..I'm telling ya if theres a draft in 2021 and the skins are picking in the top 5 the o line could be the reason why.

First 6 weeks could be rocky as hell..1-5..mayyyybe 2-4..because of bad o line play..that's when we'll see if we have a good o line coach..see if he makes the proper adjustments...

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lost elite..get that?..everyone seeing that?..ELITE...Bill Callahan..its totally understandable though with a whole new coaching staff..thanks for posting that sip..gives me an idea as to who would start if the season started today...Lucas is the dude from atl right?..at least he's experienced..I'm telling ya if theres a draft in 2021 and the skins are picking in the top 5 the o line could be the reason why.

First 6 weeks could be rocky as hell..1-5..mayyyybe 2-4..because of bad o line play..that's when we'll see if we have a good o line coach..see if he makes the proper adjustments...

Schweitzer is from Atlanta, Lucas is from Chicago

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some discussion on the topic on twitter last night.  I am generally optimistic about this roster but I do think O line potentially can be a mess.

Re Martins poor pass blocking grade, I really think that is simply a matter of a smaller sample size and him being thrown into the mix. Remember that he was the #1 guard in the nation for # of pass blocks without giving up a single sack.*  I have a lot of faith in Martins potential.

*https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/4/30/18523247/how-did-new-redskins-guard-wes-martin-slip-through-the-cracks

(and sorry for the larger text quote. I could not get the twitter blocks to delete from the quote)

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Re Martins poor pass blocking grade, I really think that is simply a matter of a smaller sample size and him being thrown into the mix. Remember that he was the #1 guard in the nation for # of pass blocks without giving up a single sack.*  I have a lot of faith in Martins potential.

*https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/4/30/18523247/how-did-new-redskins-guard-wes-martin-slip-through-the-cracks

(and sorry for the larger text quote. I could not get the twitter blocks to delete from the quote)

I don't know about Martin one way or another.  I do trust PFF more on O line scores than anything else.  They have multiple times said their O line scores above all positions are the most reliable among their grades.   Martin's scores are "meh" in run blocking, too.    I agree it's a small sample and he can turn out good. Just saying I think its hard for us to say he's not a wildcard.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I've been hoping for Parris to turn into something at Tackle.

Though he's hardiy sniffed the field, I keep holding out hope.

Not just that he's a good prospect, but the fact that he's been able to hang onto the same team for this long, starter or not, says something good about him.

I just hope Moses can cut down on his penalties. He kills our momentum. I know he's had a lot of injuries but he really needs to step up.

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I just hope Moses can cut down on his penalties. He kills our momentum. I know he's had a lot of injuries but he really needs to step up.

As much as I hate saying ya can almost say the same thing about scherff..