Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Totally based on assumptions and impressions, but...

I think Fuller and Darby are relegating Moreau to the bench, and Moreland is a better in the slot.

Darby was a bit of a mixed bag yesterday, but 1) he just miscalculated on the td he gave up and I think part of that was expecting the rush to get home and not expecting Dalton to get it out there (he looked like he misjudged the trajectory or thought Cooper was breaking off the route), 2) the corners are in a rough spot going one on one and with no help at times, 3) I think they’re being coached to play off situationally and that can be a tough ask (as Aikman mentioned), and 4) that is a very good group of receivers to face.

Happy with these corners and Curl has impressed the heck out of me (relatively speaking - I expected a lot of growing pains at minimum).  Reaves finished last year pretty strong IIRC, so nice to see him back out there.

33 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Someone tell me this.

Why don't we see more of Moreau ? No pun intended.

Whenever I see him, he's making a play. But he's hardly on the field.

Is it because everyone ahead of him (Fuller, Moreland, Darby) have been doing so well ?

When Darby started struggling yesterday, I wondered what it would take for Moreau to replace him.

Could he at least be a future starter, when Darby gets up in age ?

I honestly think Moreau is as good as Darby.  And Moreau could start.  But I'm an armchair coach. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Someone tell me this.

Why don't we see more of Moreau ? No pun intended.

Whenever I see him, he's making a play. But he's hardly on the field.

Is it because everyone ahead of him (Fuller, Moreland, Darby) have been doing so well ?

When Darby started struggling yesterday, I wondered what it would take for Moreau to replace him.

Could he at least be a future starter, when Darby gets up in age ?

Honestly feel the opposite.  Whenever I see Moreau he's making wrong moves and then getting burnt.

I like how Darby recovers from some bad plays.  Gets angry at himself and then plays better

• Like 4

Kinda wish we still had 2018 Swearinger with Kurl back there, he was a good player for us. I have some optimism with Collins and Curl next year, some good options for Safety in FA this year with Hooker, Harris and Simmons. Harris and Simmons will be expensive though 

2 minutes ago, max21 said:

Kinda wish we still had 2018 Swearinger with Kurl back there, he was a good player for us. I have some optimism with Collins and Curl next year, some good options for Safety in FA this year with Hooker, Harris and Simmons. Harris and Simmons will be expensive though 

The question is did Curl take Collins job?  I don't think you play them together.  And frankly Collins looked a bit lost in coverage this season.

33 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The question is did Curl take Collins job?  I don't think you play them together.  And frankly Collins looked a bit lost in coverage this season.

Collins would be dominant if either the corners or linebackers were better. 

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't know, Collins' issues appear to be himself, not a product of the players around him. Collins is a good player when the plays are in front of him, he's good at getting TFL's on RBs, but he takes questionable angles at ball carriers are on the outside (Curl is incredible at this). I think he's' more of an impact player than Curl, but he is very boom/bust and can be picked on by opposing offenses. 

I guess what I'm saying is, if we have to be loaded with talent for him to succeed, we messed up by giving him a massive contract. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I can understand linebackers, but the corners are playing well.  Our 3 main corners, according to where PFR gets their data from, allow a passer rating of 80 or less.  That's legit.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I can understand linebackers, but the corners are playing well.  Our 3 main corners, according to where PFR gets their data from, allow a passer rating of 80 or less.  That's legit.

I think they're playing... OK. This is where the DL is most effective in that most of the QBs we've faced have all learned that quick passes against a soft linebacking core is effective against us. I don't know the numbers but I don't feel they go deep against us all that often and a lot of the times they do they're under duress and not making smart decisions. Too many times though we've seen guts streaking down the field unguarded and it's alarming. In fact 9 times they've given up passes over 40 yards which is tied for first. Tightening up the middle even slightly would probably add an extra .5 of a second to any QB's decision making against us and with that DL that .5 is the difference between life and death.

Darby is on a 1 yr $4M deal. I'd say Fabian is right in line to step up to a starting position next year, unless Darby wants to come back on a cheap deal similar to the one he currently has. No reason to pay him anything near Fuller, when we have people lined up behind him. I suspect he will want something around $6-8M. Injury concerns were a big part of his low market value and he has been healthy with us. He is also still young at 26.

Darby has been reasonably fine, so I could see the front office going either way on him.

If they let Darby walk, they can look for another 1 yr plug-n-play to compete w/ fabian next year.

EDIT: Looks like Fabian is in the last year of his deal too.... I dont see us paying to bring back both. Maybe we put them against each other in a reverse bidding war.

Edited by FootballZombie

If Darby keeps up his play this season, I have no problem resigning him to a longer term deal in the 7-8 million per year range. It's been so long since we've had successful continuity. We're building a culture, right? Part of building and sustaining a positive culture is showing commitment to players who play well.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:51 AM, Playaction2Sanders said:

What's up with Fabian Moreau? Since week 2 when he was filling in for an injured Fuller, he went from seeing an avg of 35 snaps filling in those two weeks a total of 47 snaps in the past 11 weeks.. What gives?

Think about it.  Apke was also starting at the beginning of the season.  

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

• Haha 4
On 12/17/2020 at 2:22 PM, TheShredder said:

This is why there's a bright-side to the Collins/Kurl dilemma as those safety spots are prone to injury.  Can't have too much depth at either of those slots.

Obviously Collins’ contract isn’t ideal for this situation, but you’re right about depth being pretty crucial.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Obviously Collins’ contract isn’t ideal for this situation, but you’re right about depth being pretty crucial.

Strong safety is one of the easiest positions to get solid depth for. Honestly, Everett is more of a SS vs a FS anyway

• Like 1