Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2020 DB thread

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, Darrelle Revis was only 5’11”. 

Yeah, to be fair I do think Jimmy needs to get stronger to reach his potential.  He needs to add lean muscle each year to the tune of around 192'ish.  That strength gain will add to his confidence and experience.  I'm not on the Jimmy Moreland train but I do think he can play a role on a good defense.  i'm more bullish on Fabian outside.  Definitely NOT a Ronald Darby fan, though he will be playing his second year post ACL tear this year.  Usually that's the year guys get all the way back from big knee reconstructions.

Guess its possible to have Fabian/Darby/Fuller in a starting group.  Honestly not too worried about CBs because of the current roster and projected scheme.  Clearly going after the QB and willing to roll with avg CB play. 

36 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Honestly not too worried about CBs because of the current roster and projected scheme.  Clearly going after the QB and willing to roll with avg CB play. 

Yeah with a line this good, if they play up to their potential, it should allow us to double-cover certain receivers, and get safety help, etc.

We shouldn't have to rely so much on frequent blitzing to get QB pressure, like we have in the past.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This doesn't even deserve a response.

How is it any different than what you said lol. You compared Jimmy Moreland to Darrell Revis because they’re the same height, potentially the best DB in the game the last 10 years 

Just now, max21 said:

How is it any different than what you said lol. You compared Jimmy Moreland to Darrell Revis because they’re the same height, potentially the best DB in the game the last 10 years 

My post couldn't have been that hard to understand for discerning minds.  If it was hard for you, I'll try to expound:

The point was that height alone does not determine how good a CB can be on the outside.  Revis is among one of many examples.  He is the shining example of a successful sub-6 foot CB.  At no point did I say "we have the next Revis".  Moreland could be terrible on the outside or he could be great, but height alone will not determine that.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My post couldn't have been that hard to understand for discerning minds.  If it was hard for you, I'll try to expound:

The point was that height alone does not determine how good a CB can be on the outside.  Revis is among one of many examples.  He is the shining example of a successful sub-6 foot CB.  At no point did I say "we have the next Revis".  Moreland could be terrible on the outside or he could be great, but height alone will not determine that.

It wasn’t hard for me. You said “ I mean Revis is only 5’11” “ which is a pretty vague comment. Height is a huge factor, the dude is small is all I’m saying. 

32 minutes ago, max21 said:

It wasn’t hard for me. You said “ I mean Revis is only 5’11” “ which is a pretty vague comment. Height is a huge factor, the dude is small is all I’m saying. 

and everyone else is telling you it is only a minor factor

12 minutes ago, carex said:

and everyone else is telling you it is only a minor factor

But that’s the thing, it isn’t minor. If his tackling was poor, that’s something more minor and can be addressed. He lacks size and length which IMO minimizes his role. I hope he balls out but I don’t see it. 

14 minutes ago, max21 said:

But that’s the thing, it isn’t minor. If his tackling was poor, that’s something more minor and can be addressed. He lacks size and length which IMO minimizes his role. I hope he balls out but I don’t see it. 

Average height isn't a minor issue? He can stand to get stronger, but that's as easily addressed as the tacking you mentioned.

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Average height isn't a minor issue? He can stand to get stronger, but that's as easily addressed as the tacking you mentioned.

Well maybe I’m just crazy then, I just remember watching him and saying “damn that dude is tiny” I didn’t know 5’10” is average height. 

Speaking of size...whether it's lack of...or excess of...

We spent a 6th round supplemental pick on Adonis Alexander, then gave up on him, after just one year. And now he's a Ram...not surprisingly.

But does anyone know why this kid was given up on so quickly, in a secondary that's not exactly booming with talent, and yet he's good enough for the talent-heavy Rams ?

He had great size,  but apparently couldn't even catch on as a Safety here, where the Skins are even weaker, than they are at CB

how long does it take CBs to  breakout and make the transition to the NFL?

I know some players come out of college and produce immediately.  Generally there's a learning curve by position.  What is that learning curve for CB's?

Apparently it depends on the reps.  Maybe 2 full seasons before you expect a drastic and consistent change.  Here's an article I found.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2014/05/nfl_draft_2014_why_cornerbacks_always_have_toughest_rookie_adjustment_of_any_defensive_position.html

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We spent a 6th round supplemental pick on Adonis Alexander, then gave up on him, after just one year. And now he's a Ram...not surprisingly.

But does anyone know why this kid was given up on so quickly, in a secondary that's not exactly booming with talent, and yet he's good enough for the talent-heavy Rams ?

He had great size,  but apparently couldn't even catch on as a Safety here, where the Skins are even weaker, than they are at CB

Alexander has not played for the Rams yet.  They signed him to the PS and then a futures contract

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If I'm recalling right, he bulked up after his rookie year and completely lost change of direction and burst.

He was regularly getting torched in training camp and preseason.  Looked like a safety trying to play corner.

I like Moreland, but I can see where Max is coming from. Moreland isn’t tall, isn’t long, has a slight build to his frame and is below average in straight line speed (oh, and he played his college ball against lower division talent). That’s a lot of checkmarks against his potential success. 

However, he potentially has elite level ball skills, great recognition and reaction, good quickness and superb anticipation and ability to read the QB. 

I think that those latter traits, combined with more experience and added strength, give him a chance to be good if he’s used properly (which I think is mostly in the slot). Conversely, if he ends up outside against bigger, faster vertical threats, I expect him to get bullied and beaten deep often. 

As to the bigger picture of the CB unit, I like Moreau, Fuller and Moreland, but beyond that it is paper thin and a potential tinder box. Cooper, Lamb, Gallup against this group is a nightmare if Dallas OL can manage to neutralize our front 4.

31 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I like Moreland, but I can see where Max is coming from. Moreland isn’t tall, isn’t long, has a slight build to his frame and is below average in straight line speed (oh, and he played his college ball against lower division talent). That’s a lot of checkmarks against his potential success. 

However, he potentially has elite level ball skills, great recognition and reaction, good quickness and superb anticipation and ability to read the QB. 

I think that those latter traits, combined with more experience and added strength, give him a chance to be good if he’s used properly (which I think is mostly in the slot). Conversely, if he ends up outside against bigger, faster vertical threats, I expect him to get bullied and beaten deep often. 

As to the bigger picture of the CB unit, I like Moreau, Fuller and Moreland, but beyond that it is paper thin and a potential tinder box. Cooper, Lamb, Gallup against this group is a nightmare if Dallas OL can manage to neutralize our front 4.

most people's fourth CB isn't that great

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I BELIEVE it was attitude.  He valued himself far greater than reality.  In fact, he SAYS that this mentality is what got him in trouble at Va Tech forcing him to declare when he was deemed Academically Ineligible AFTER the 2018 rookie draft.  Hence the reason we took him in the Supplemental. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/story-adonis-nfl-supplemental-draft-candidate-offers-loads-intrigue-031416081.html

I also want to say that room got really crowded really quick, and Alexander is a bit of a tweener.  He's big and long, but he's slow in reference to CB.  4.61 40 at the combine.  I see, to remember that we wanted to try him out at Safety, which he played at Va Tech, but i wonder if he pushed back?  He appeared but I THINK i remember being over-excited, and under-impressed.

Archived