Malapropismic Depository

Dexter Manley is "deathly sick" according to Darryl Grant (via RedskinsToday) ; Now Improving

You just know he's gonna call it the CowboyVirus. :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Best wishes Dexter M. Get well soon!

All that really needs to be said. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

"He tried to shake it," (Daryl) Grant said in a post. "14 days of fever trying to be a boss. His daughter Dalis told me this."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-legend-dexter-manley-tests-positive-covid-19

Oof... My sister went through that. Only for her it was six days with fever over 104 before they finally got the fever to break. She managed to avoid the hospital. Hospital said she wasn't sick enough to be admitted (This was when NY was quite overwhelmed) because she had no respiratory issues. Luckily, tepid water baths and tylenol eventually did the trick.

Crazily enough, she couldn't even consult with her doctor because he was struck with it. Both recovered. I hope Dex does too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great player.  Never forget him knocking Danny White out of that game in the 82 NFC Championship Game.  Get well Dex.  Your fans are pulling for you brother.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TK said:

You just know he's gonna call it the CowboyVirus. :) 

He must find that as a source of motivation to get through this, since Dexter knows a thing or 2, about beating Cowboys.

• Like 1

Have such great memories of rooting for Dexter back in the day. He bought into the rivalry with the Cowboys so hard, and it always made Dallas week so fun, not only to see what he'd say, but also how he played against them. HIs episode of A Football Life was amazing.

Get well soon, Dexter!!!

9 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

HIs episode of A Football Life was amazing.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I heard he was doing better, anybody know? 

I mean this sincerely, what's your source?  I definitely want to hear some good news regarding one of our all-timers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@NewCliche21 No idea if this is true or not, but Ben knows people who know people.  I'd consider it a reputable source.  

Standig is highly reputable and a stand up guy to boot. He wouldn’t attach his name to this if he wasn’t confident in it’s accuracy.

Dex is still not out of the woods yet but this is great news nonetheless.

• Like 1

This article from Yahoo Sports reveals a few more details, not previously reported or posted.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-redskins-defensive-end-sack-leader-dexter-manley-hospitalized-tests-positive-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-034929919.html

Dalis

told The Washington Post that he was feeling “very weak,” worn down and discouraged after dealing with a fever and shortness of breath for about two weeks. He had not been placed on a ventilator as of Saturday afternoon, however.

“He hasn’t gotten worse, but they’re worried about his breathing,” Manley’s son, Dexter Manley II, said, via the Washington Post

Manley had been wearing a mask regularly and was diligent about washing his hands, but told his daughter he thinks he contracted the virus one day when he stopped at a gas station but didn’t have his mask with him.  He tested positive on May 2, and has had a consistent temperature between 101 and 104 degrees.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean this sincerely, what's your source?  I definitely want to hear some good news regarding one of our all-timers!

sorry I didn't get back in time to respond, the news I got was definitely from that Standig tweet, I hope its still true. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Dexter doing better.

Great news, and I'm not surprised. I expect Dexter to beat this...

If you consider all the things he has overcome during the course of his life :

Extreme poverty

Premature, tragic death of his brother and father

Illiteracy

Dallas Cowboys

Drug Addiction ; Near overdose and/or suicide

Incarceration

Homelessness

Brain Cyst Surgery

etc

Dexter : "I knew a lot of people they threw the dirt on...I'm not ready for them to throw the dirt on me"

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 8:16 AM, TK said:

That first dude you see in the light blue shirt at the beginning sitting down with him is one of my old coworkers.  He used to tell me a bunch of stories about Manley and how great he is.

Hope he pulls through.

Wow. sorry to hear about Dexter struck down by the Corona virus and glad to hear Dexter is battling back from the virus, a true warrior.

I remember running  in to Dexter back in the day circa 1980's at Rick "Doc" Walkers  restaurant in Fairfax city,Va. Really cool dude.

Hail