Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports.com: Joe Buck: Fox planning to pump in crowd noise, digitize fans for NFL broadcasts

TK

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-buck-fox-planning-to-pump-in-crowd-noise-digitize-fans-for-nfl-broadcasts-010459595.html

Joe Buck: Fox planning to pump in crowd noise, digitize fans for NFL broadcasts

With talk of a return to sports ramping up, fans are wondering what games without fans will look like on TV.

Fox play-by-play announcer Joe Buck provided a glimpse on Wednesday.

Speaking with Sirius XM’s Andy Cohen, Buck said that plans are already in place for the network’s anticipated NFL broadcasts. Fox is planning to do its best to simulate a normal atmosphere by pumping in crowd noise and placing digital fans in the stands of empty NFL stadiums.

“It’s pretty much a done deal,” Buck said, per SBJ’s John Ourand. “I think whoever is going to be at that control is going to have to be really good at their job and be realistic with how a crowd would react depending on what just happened on the field.”

Buck has a point. That’s going to turn into a high-pressure gig only a yellow-line operator could appreciate.

Fox is not afraid to gamble

For better or for worse — mostly better — Fox has been on the cutting edge of broadcast enhancement since it got into the sports broadcast business in the 1990s. The Fox Box introduced in 1994 paved the way for the score bugs that have become ubiquitous in sports broadcasts.

Imagine watching a game without having constant access to the score and game clock. That was the standard for NFL broadcasts before 1994.

Fox also introduced the widely mocked glowing pucks for NHL broadcasts in the 1990s, with the intention of making the puck easier to follow for casual fans. That idea failed, but it’s tough to knock the network for innovating.

Assuming the season starts, empty stadiums will provide an entirely new challenge for networks this fall. Whether fans at home will be receptive to fake counterparts in the stands on their broadcasts is yet to be seen.

I thought "other sports leagues" were consulting with the UFC, on how they're handling sporting events in the current environment ?

If they consulted with the UFC, they would find that they are doing just fine without the fake crowds and fake applause, etc.

In fact, they like it even BETTER without any crowd noise because it allows you to hear all the relevant sounds of the sport - the REAL sounds of the sport.

Wouldn't you rather hear the sound of hits, than the sound of fake drunks ?

I guess there will be little home field advantage, since I assume the fake crowd noise is only heard on TV.

Let's ask the important questions.

Instead of addressing the least important of all issues, like whether or not there will be fake crowd noise, tell us how teams will be able to compensate for players testing positive during the season, and if there will be a special exemption list for them, instead of counting against the roster or inactive list, or having to go to an injured reserve, PUP, etc.

Digital fans lol. Maybe once they figure it out they can pass the secret along to EA, the sidelines and fans in the stands have looked unchanged for a decade despite the on-field graphics changing drastically. Kills immersion even more than the poor gameplay. 

26 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It might actually be neat to hear the game without the sounds and really hear the game. Hear the calls, the hits, the smack talk. Just have to be quick with the bleep button.

It was cool for one weekend of Aussie Rules Football before everything was shut down.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Let's ask the important questions.

Instead of addressing the least important of all issues, like whether or not there will be fake crowd noise, tell us how teams will be able to compensate for players testing positive during the season, and if there will be a special exemption list for them, instead of counting against the roster or inactive list, or having to go to an injured reserve, PUP, etc.

I'm not sure those are questions that can be answered. Multiple issues can be looked at at the same time... and it seems to me like they've come to a conclusion on this point and not the others. They are looking at that stuff you mentioned. For sure. But the answer is really: "It depends".

They don't have to pump crowd noise onto the filed, if the players prefer it more quiet. They can just artificially pump crowd noise into the broadcast. I'd have to see both (quiet and with noise) to see how I prefer it but for now, I think without noise would be odd and feel like a practice (or XFL game ;P)

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

In fact, they like it even BETTER without any crowd noise because it allows you to hear all the relevant sounds of the sport - the REAL sounds of the sport.

Wouldn't you rather hear the sound of hits, than the sound of fake drunks ?

No. Crowd noise and cheers are a big part of the sports experience

Fox should consult with the Falcons on this, they were six years ahead of the curve on artificial crowd noises. They should also be able to give a wealth of experience on what sounds realistic and what sounds fake. $350,000 worth of experience, to be precise. And a fifth round pick, but who's keeping track?

29 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Fox should consult with the Falcons on this, they were six years ahead of the curve on artificial crowd noises. They should also be able to give a wealth of experience on what sounds realistic and what sounds fake. $350,000 worth of experience, to be precise. And a fifth round pick, but who's keeping track?

Colts did it first...

If you want to hear what's like without crowd noise go watch SmackDown Friday night. It's cool for a few minutes as you get to actually hear the action, but then it gets kinda painful with the crowd & just an announce team. That said, AEW has done a better job by making "sidelines". They'll have 5 babyfaces on one side of the ring & five heels on the other side. It's a lot more entertaining to watch especially when the heels are waving handfuls of cash around making bets on the matches. :ols: 

Archived