Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

I was going to ask the same question about Smith. IF he passes the unlikely hurdle of being able to ever play again in the first place, is he really at a higher risk of re-breaking his leg going forward? Bones heal stronger up to a certain age, right? Maybe they don't heal as well or as correctly when it's a compound fracture that requires so many surgeries. 

But I did always wonder why he'd be at higher risk for it happening again IF he ever got to the point where he could play on it at all. I thought the bigger obstacle to returning for him was that he'd lost/had removed so much muscle mass and tissue in his leg and that they'd had to graft other muscle into its place, not that he'd suffered such a severe compound fracture. 

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For Alex Smith, it begs the question, is there a solid medical basis to say, that his leg's medical history makes him highly susceptible to a re-infection and yet another need for amputation ? And even if there is, all signs are pointing to that not stopping his decision to return and play.

Reed may not come back and play for us, but he is getting serious interest from other teams. I'd bet that one of those teams decides to gamble on him.

Yes there's overwhelming medical evidence that a compound fracture of the tib-fib with severe secondary infection substantially increases the loss of limb prognosis where a re-injury occurs.  You see this in car accidents where the driver instinctively slams their foot on the break before a collision.  the impact creates this sort of compound tib-fib.  When this patient unfortunately experiences  a similar trauma the lack of circulation in  the tissues and previously broken bones cannot heal as there simply isn't enough healthy bone and tissue to salvage the limb.  

As for anyone who plays NFL football after several high degree concussions, that's pure stupidity regardless of the paycheck.  Any team that signs Reed will do so under that 'Buyer Beware' injury history.  

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I was going to ask the same question about Smith. IF he passes the unlikely hurdle of being able to ever play again in the first place, is he really at a higher risk of re-breaking his leg going forward? Bones heal stronger up to a certain age, right? Maybe they don't heal as well or as correctly when it's a compound fracture that requires so many surgeries. 

But I did always wonder why he'd be at higher risk for it happening again IF he ever got to the point where he could play on it at all. I thought the bigger obstacle to returning for him was that he'd lost/had removed so much muscle mass and tissue in his leg and that they'd had to graft other muscle into its place, not that he'd suffered such a severe compound fracture. 

Think of it like this...take a strong branch off a tree and put it between two bricks then jump on the branch between the bricks.  That greenstick break that occurs doesn't completely snap it into two pieces.  There are pieces of the branch that remain intact.  When you hear about fractures healing stronger after its calcium deposits that form a bulky patch that fuse the fracture.  Now you're not going to break it again at the exact same spot under similar circumstances, however youl'll easily snap it above or below the calcium deposits from that previous break.  In Alex Smith scenario his secondary infection wasn't just exterior, but also inside his bone.  The massive loss of functional circulation can't be repaired.  Essentially he risks losing his leg with another similar injury from lack of tissue and blood bone circulation.  There's no MD going to sign off on him playing again. There's also no reason for him to ever take that risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Think of it like this...take a strong branch off a tree and put it between two bricks then jump on the branch between the bricks.  That greenstick break that occurs doesn't completely snap it into two pieces.  There are pieces of the branch that remain intact.  When you hear about fractures healing stronger after its calcium deposits that form a bulky patch that fuse the fracture.  Now you're not going to break it again at the exact same spot under similar circumstances, however youl'll easily snap it above or below the calcium deposits from that previous break.  In Alex Smith scenario his secondary infection wasn't just exterior, but also inside his bone.  The massive loss of functional circulation can't be repaired.  Essentially he risks losing his leg with another similar injury from lack of tissue and blood bone circulation.  There's no MD going to sign off on him playing again. There's also no reason for him to ever take that risk. 

I dont think any of us can say definitively that no MD will ever sign off on him playing again or say definitively what a patients prognosis is without being a) a medical doctor and b) having examined Alex and his medical records personally.  And there  IS a reason for him to take the risk: To overcome that which people

say cant be overcome and that he wont let the injury stop him and keep him from his passion and will to play football.  He wants to prove it to himself and sometimes that more important than fame, money and accolades.

It's not just the physical injury that Alex will have to deal with, there has to be some mental issues that he'll need to overcome as well. I don't think he will ever play again.

Reuben may need some more time, but I think that he'll come back strong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/reuben-foster-has-impressed-redskins-dc-jack-del-rio-health-remains-major-question

"With a new coaching staff and a new crew of linebackers nothing is certain for Foster as he works to overcome the injured torn ACL, MCL and nerve damage. An NFL Network report about the nerve damage suggested it was a similar injury that Cowboys LB Jaylon smith sustained in his final college game in 2016. He missed all of the 2016 season in Dallas, but hasn't missed a game since and made the Pro Bowl last year. "

I did not realize that.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
On 5/31/2020 at 2:00 PM, London Kev said:

It's not just the physical injury that Alex will have to deal with, there has to be some mental issues that he'll need to overcome as well. I don't think he will ever play again.

Reuben may need some more time, but I think that he'll come back strong.

Yeah Alex's situation was much more traumatic. The guy had a compound fracture and then nearly lost his leg to infection shortly after. I think it's really amazing how he's getting through it but I don't see him playing again in the NFL. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More promising reports from coaches...

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/reuben-foster-positive-steps-eventual-return-washington-football

It also helps that Russ can see Foster paying attention during Zoom meetings. In fact, he will mute himself whenever Russ tries to quiz one of his teammates so that he can practice making the calls.

"I told him, 'I don't have to ask you a question for you to be able to answer it,'" Russ said. "And I really like where Reuben is, I like his intent. I really like his focus. I like his discipline right now."

Russ cannot speak on Foster's recovery process -- "I'm not a trainer," he reminded the media -- but he did say there's "no doubt" Foster would be a fun player to work with. He led the 49ers' linebacker corps during his rookie season with 72 tackles -- good enough for second-most on the team -- and PFF gave his 2017 performance an overall grade of 81.2.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Foster coming back and even then coming back to form would be an added bonus to this defense. I'm not really counting on it but it would be nice to have him in the middle. SDH/Foster/Holcomb with our DL is pretty nasty.

Reuben being a real contributor would be a big get. We have the perfect d-line to maximize the kind of player Foster was pre-injury. We would have to resign him next year, but if we want to, it will only be because he earned it.

Plus, he was always a hit stick waiting to happen. Zombie would be beside himself at the opportunity to collect more roadkill.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Reuben being a real contributor would be a big get. We have the perfect d-line to maximize the kind of player Foster was pre-injury. We would have to resign him next year, but if we want to, it will only be because he earned it.

Plus, he was always a hit stick waiting to happen. Zombie would be beside himself at the opportunity to collect more roadkill.

With Foster and Smith coming back, makes me wonder if they are zombies.