Riggo777

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

It might be a good sign,  IF the brace is only to prevent the risk of foot drop as he begins his rehab, especially on a fast paced treadmill.  But I'll agree, If he actually has foot drop it's not a good sign

 

In my experience (2 ACL surgeries) you don't need a brace to prevent your foot from dropping unless you have foot drop...which is not good at all.  The only good "news" is that this is the same thing Jaylen Smith had and he has recovered to be a pretty damn good player. It took Smith 2 years from when he was injured though and despite him playing really well now I personally don't think he got all of his athletic ability back.  Maybe treatments have progressed but most players do not recover enough to play again after this type of injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

 

In my experience (2 ACL surgeries) you don't need a brace to prevent your foot from dropping unless you have foot drop...which is not good at all.  The only good "news" is that this is the same thing Jaylen Smith had and he has recovered to be a pretty damn good player. It took Smith 2 years from when he was injured though and despite him playing really well now I personally don't think he got all of his athletic ability back.  Maybe treatments have progressed but most players do not recover enough to play again after this type of injury.  

Definitely concerning. However you also don’t get cleared to sprint (at 12mph in the video) unless cleared to do it, which is certainly a big milestone. He’s been allowed to rehab with our guys so if they’re talking to the coaches and the coaches are preparing like he’ll be ready for training camp then I’m slightly optimistic because they wouldn’t just pull that out of their asses. 
 

Anything he can offer is a bonus because we didn’t expect him and aren’t counting on him (we the fans) but that video definitely made me feel more positive about him running even on a treadmill then negative about the brace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn't he had stem cell therapy since that tread mill video was taken?

 

Nerves are interesting, I've been reworking and re-routing around nerve damage in my neck all the way down to my foot on the left side of my body. It's amazing the amount of recovery I've had from December of last year till now, so it's conceivable he could have relatively similar progress as me in that time frame, considering I'm doing mine on my own and he has way more resources available to draw upon.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Probably not, tbh we are better off without him, Rivera is going young and hungry, We should release him IMO.

Foster is both young (age 26) and hungry. So....

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Probably not, tbh we are better off without him, Rivera is going young and hungry, We should release him IMO.

 

Pretty silly since he's cheap and we've never seen him play (assuming he can ever play again). He's still young and better be hungry after all this time rehabbing to save his career. He's only 17 months older than McLaurin, if that helps put it into context. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Probably not, tbh we are better off without him, Rivera is going young and hungry, We should release him IMO.

 

 

You realize that he's only 26 years old, on the final year of his rookie contract, and coming off 2 season ending injuries.  Not sure you can get much younger, or hungrier, in the current NFL.  

 

He's costing us $1.1 mil against the cap.  He's all upside at this point.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not expecting him to play this season. Nerve injuries are serious, and in the last video I saw of him, he still had a noticeable limp. It's still possible he could make a full recovery, but there's also a chance this is another Kyshoen Jarrett situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highly doubtful he plays this year... his value is very limited and honestly he is not worth the 1mil. I think the idea is that if he recovers by end of the year and another team signs him next year, Skins get a comp pick back. Thats the best we can hope for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's a low risk and a low cost move, and we're prepared for backup, if he can't make it. And, he's not currently taking up a real valuable roster spot at the moment.

So, I don't really see a downside or reason to fret at this point.

I look at him as a cheap potential luxury.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

 

 

You realize that he's only 26 years old, on the final year of his rookie contract, and coming off 2 season ending injuries.  Not sure you can get much younger, or hungrier, in the current NFL.  

 

He's costing us $1.1 mil against the cap.  He's all upside at this point.

 

I agree with all that. But the rookie contract, I don't understand.

Since he was cut, rather than traded, by the 49ers, it would seem like his contract would start new and from scratch with the Skins.

Or is there something in the CBA that keeps him on a rookie contract regardless of whether he's cut or traded ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

I agree with all that. But the rookie contract, I don't understand.

Since he was cut, rather than traded, by the 49ers, it would seem like his contract would start new and from scratch with the Skins.

Or is there something in the CBA that keeps him on a rookie contract regardless of whether he's cut or traded ?

 

We claimed him on waivers I believe (remember, it was quite controversial), so we also claimed his contract. That's why we got to make the decision on his 5th year option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bowhunter said:

It might be a good sign,  IF the brace is only to prevent the risk of foot drop as he begins his rehab, especially on a fast paced treadmill.  But I'll agree, If he actually has foot drop it's not a good sign

The degree of his deficit is hidden.  The only thing we know is he hasn't got 100%.  It would be dangerous to not wear that brace, even for walking, with his knee reconstruction.  Should his foot drop while stepping, he wouldn't know it and would trip and could screw up everything in a hurry.   i would imagine he would wear that for a long time, outside rehab.  The rest of his stature is impressive.  His traps and lats are well oversized and he is running fast, though that doesn't show how explosive or not he might be.  I could imagine that I'd be more bullish on him playing when i see him take off from a standstill where he would need that foot to push off.  I believe he has to try and play to stay a Redskin, though I wouldn't anticipate him cracking the starting lineup week 1.  If he is not 100% they might designate him to start off on IR and look to return week 6.  If he does play 10+ games and finishes strong, he won't be expensive to sign moving forward.  Nobody wanted him before and now his knee was devastated, so if they want to move forward with him after 2020 that deal gets done easily. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Probably not, tbh we are better off without him, Rivera is going young and hungry, We should release him IMO.

with all due respect, how does Foster not fit the description of young and hungry? I would put him solely in that category....and someone who has a lot to prove at the NFL level. He has come a long way off the field it seems. Just think of his upside....this guy hits and closes like our old #21.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not holding my breath, but I am rooting for him.

 

If this was a poll, I'd vote "no".

 

If we don't play this year and he gets another year off to recovery, maybe, but worried if he tries to come back this year he'll aggregate something. He sounds all kinds of messed up right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even Junior Galette eventually played for us. I think we’d probably give Foster another shot next year if he can’t play this year, depending on his progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's why we got to make the decision on his 5th year option.

They declined the 5th year option.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

They declined the 5th year option.

 

Uh yeah, like I said we got to make the decision on his 5th year option. As in, that was a perk of picking him up on waivers, if he had been good/healthy enough to warrant it. It gave us the option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Uh yeah, like I said we got to make the decision on his 5th year option. As in, that was a perk of picking him up on waivers, if he had been good/healthy enough to warrant it. It gave us the option. 

Sorry, the word "got" threw me off, so used to reading poorly written Tweets my brain is melting. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Just wait...In camp, Alex Smith will be throwing passes to recently signed , Jordan Reed. And Reuben Foster will be the starting MIKE on opening day

Alex Smith will never play again because if he breaks that leg again they'll have to amputate.  Reuben is going to play but to what degree nobody knows yet. Jordan Reed shouldn't play but nobody ever accused him of being a scholar.  i know you were making a joke bro, just sayin'. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 11:37 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Hasn't he had stem cell therapy since that tread mill video was taken?

 

Nerves are interesting, I've been reworking and re-routing around nerve damage in my neck all the way down to my foot on the left side of my body. It's amazing the amount of recovery I've had from December of last year till now, so it's conceivable he could have relatively similar progress as me in that time frame, considering I'm doing mine on my own and he has way more resources available to draw upon.

He's not only had stem cell therapy, he's been through an aggressive regimen with multiple treatments over months from BioXcellerator. The human body is amazing and the study of it is always progressing.  One of the things they knew before stem cells was that the body will focus its healing efforts to the most critical places of need.  This is seen in post cardiac infarction events where the arteries become blocked and over time the body will grow new collateral circulation in an effort to oxygenate the region that was blocked.  Stem cells provided a way to promote this type of healing to previously untreatable damaged nerves.   It used to be that if you had nerve damage there was nothing that could be done.  Now, stem cell treatments provide a way for that same type of collateral regeneration to occur with nerves.  They have to grow new nerve pathways.  This takes a long time, but it does work to a degree.  The degree of recovery is not well defined as far as expectations.  The science and study continues to evolve and is not perfected.  Reuben will never be 100%, however he will see the field again. 

 

I'm cheering for him.  he's got a warrior mentality and maturing as a person does when confronted with life altering traumatic events. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

He's not only had stem cell therapy, he's been through an aggressive regimen with multiple treatments over months from BioXcellerator. The human body is amazing and the study of it is always progressing.  One of the things they knew before stem cells was that the body will focus its healing efforts to the most critical places of need.  This is seen in post cardiac infarction events where the arteries become blocked and over time the body will grow new collateral circulation in an effort to oxygenate the region that was blocked.  Stem cells provided a way to promote this type of healing to previously untreatable damaged nerves.   It used to be that if you had nerve damage there was nothing that could be done.  Now, stem cell treatments provide a way for that same type of collateral regeneration to occur with nerves.  They have to grow new nerve pathways.  This takes a long time, but it does work to a degree.  The degree of recovery is not well defined as far as expectations.  The science and study continues to evolve and is not perfected.  Reuben will never be 100%, however he will see the field again. 

 

I'm cheering for him.  he's got a warrior mentality and maturing as a person does when confronted with life altering traumatic events. 

 

That’s amazing, thanks for sharing that. I have severe spinal stenosis in the left side of my neck and for awhile that damage was acting like an amplifier to my every emotion while also having this negative distorting affect and somehow I was able to adapt to get my gut to viscerally reject that pathway and rewire around it. I had to walk around for months with a big blank spot feeling around that side of my neck as a healthy bypass to that location was generated to the point of regaining feeling. It was hard because if my brain thought about or “touched” those damage pathways it would mess with my ability to think, cause massive stress, and sometimes lead to seizures. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Alex Smith will never play again because if he breaks that leg again they'll have to amputate.  Reuben is going to play but to what degree nobody knows yet. Jordan Reed shouldn't play but nobody ever accused him of being a scholar.  i know you were making a joke bro, just sayin'. 


For Alex Smith, it begs the question, is there a solid medical basis to say, that his leg's medical history makes him highly susceptible to a re-infection and yet another need for amputation ? And even if there is, all signs are pointing to that not stopping his decision to return and play.

Reed may not come back and play for us, but he is getting serious interest from other teams. I'd bet that one of those teams decides to gamble on him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.