PleaseBlitz

When Are (Real) Sports Coming Back?

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, spjunkies said:

There should be a huge asterisk next to the "champions" name in the record book. These teams would've had almost an entire off-season before resuming the season. No fault of their own, but still.

Didn't NBA already have a shortened season with condensed schedule a couple years ago?  That season didn't get an asterisk, neither do NFL strike season super bowls.

The safe thing to do is have empty stadiums at least until 2021.  If NFL doesn't start on week 1, I wouldn't expect any of the other leagues to scoff at that. 

NFL is the big one and lucky enough to have months before starting versus having to stop right now. They the canary in the coal mine.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Bring sports back for the love of holy christ before I jump off a cliff into the Pacific ocean and hope to get devoured by a Great White shark.

With social distancing are you sure the shark will even eat you?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I've never been more bored in my life.  I literally sit on the couch and stare at the wall.  There is nothing on TV I like watching other than sports. 

Former Oriole Mike Wright* was carving em up for a few innings in the KBO. Go Dinos!  (*Big shocker he loaded the bases and nearly blew the lead in what was going to be his last inning regardless.)

• Like 1

There will 100% be an NFL season starting on time in September. Beyond that, no idea. I do think baseball will give it a try sometime in July.

Kudos to little Danny and Bruce Allen for preparing the Redskins for the new normal by having the team play in empty stadiums for the past couple of seasons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Kudos to little Danny and Bruce Allen for preparing the Redskins for the new normal by having the team play in empty stadiums for the past couple of seasons.

For the first time in either of their lives, they were actually ahead of the curve.

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There will 100% be an NFL season starting on time in September. Beyond that, no idea. I do think baseball will give it a try sometime in July.

I bet Baseball is going to lave labor issues first. The players agreed to prorate their salaries but owners want them to take a larger cut with no fans attending. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I bet Baseball is going to lave labor issues first. The players agreed to prorate their salaries but owners want them to take a larger cut with no fans attending. 

Given how partially filled baseball stadiums are most of the time, and the avoidance of other staff costs by not having spectators and that TV revenue is the whole reason professional sports make money, how much of a cut would be justified?

Posted (edited)

Why not move games and relocate players to Taiwan for a year? Or South Korea? Might have some cost to it but probably less than losing a seasons worth of revenue. I am very skeptical that we have the infrastructure in place to maintain pro sports. The moment a player or one team is infected, everything gets shut down again. Why risk that?

Go overseas and use it as a good opportunity to expand your international base while not risking your players and staff by making them play in a country governed and managed like a third world ****hole.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Given how partially filled baseball stadiums are most of the time, and the avoidance of other staff costs by not having spectators and that TV revenue is the whole reason professional sports make money, how much of a cut would be justified?

According to this it's somewhere around  ~20%. Stadium is the section of the pie that includes stadium-related revenue.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickdesantis/2016/04/08/how-the-10-most-valuable-major-league-baseball-teams-make-their-money-visualized/#6c0897526b5a

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

57 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

According to this it's somewhere around  ~20%. Stadium is the section of the pie that includes stadium-related revenue.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickdesantis/2016/04/08/how-the-10-most-valuable-major-league-baseball-teams-make-their-money-visualized/#6c0897526b5a

Thanks for posting that @skinswillwin06

Given that the economic choice is between making something and making nothing, any amount of cut would be justified.  But the owners and the labor have to reach an agreement on sharing the reduction.   

Attendance is worth 20% revenue, and presumably a lot of game-day staffing and other costs are saved.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/ap-source-mlb-owners-approve-plan-to-start-season-around-july-4th/97-1730a01b-c6c5-4918-b2ca-669cffa2157d

Major League Baseball owners gave the go-ahead Monday to making a proposal to the players’ union that could lead to the coronavirus-delayed season starting around the Fourth of July weekend in ballparks without fans, a plan that envisioned expanding the designated hitter to the National League for 2020.

Hold your horses there.

The MLB players are whiny ****es.  I'm sorry, but they are.  And they're the most powerful union in sports.  Just because the owners proposed something doesn't mean the players are gonna go for it.  

Last month, some of the MLB players were talking about not wanting to be away from their families for months at a time if the MLB was going to operate their season out of quarantined stadiums and areas.  Like there was that rumor that all the teams would be out in Arizona, quarantined and playing games in empty stadiums.  And a few of them were like "I can't be away from my family for that long, sorry, that won't work."  

Let's not mention the amount of nurses and doctors that are, you know, putting themselves in harms way right now and dealing with this virus face to face on a daily basis.  My cousin has quarantined himself in his basement, doesn't get to see his wife or his three daughters who are living upstairs all that much and is working out of a hospital in STL.  And that's not even the worst case scenario that some are dealing with.  Let's not mention military folks who are overseas for months at a time and away from their families.  I know, I know, military comparisons are trite, but it's hard to feel sorry for MLB players who are whining at the thought of doing their job for millions of dollars at the expense of not seeing their families for a few months when others already do it.

Already, Sean Doolittle is on twitter being all like "bear with me, we've zoomed past the most important aspect of the MLB restart plan:  Health protections for players, families, staff, stadium workers, etc.."  Like, I know Sean Doolittle likes to try to paint himself as the smartest most socially conscious guy in the room but how does he know the detailed plan DOESN'T include these things?  He's already looking for something to complain about and hasn't read the fine print.  And for the record, I'm inclined to agree with him and assume that the proposal doesn't include those things but if I were him I'd like to read and find out for sure before assuming things.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hold your horses there.

The MLB players are whiny ****es.  I'm sorry, but they are.  And they're the most powerful union in sports.  Just because the owners proposed something doesn't mean the players are gonna go for it.  

Doolittle's thread is pretty reasonable. if MLB, or any other sport, can't answer the questions he's asking, they probably shouldn't be thinking about playing.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Last month, some of the MLB players were talking about not wanting to be away from their families for months at a time if the MLB was going to operate their season out of quarantined stadiums and areas.  Like there was that rumor that all the teams would be out in Arizona, quarantined and playing games in empty stadiums.  And a few of them were like "I can't be away from my family for that long, sorry, that won't work."  

Let's not mention the amount of nurses and doctors that are, you know, putting themselves in harms way right now and dealing with this virus face to face on a daily basis.  My cousin has quarantined himself in his basement, doesn't get to see his wife or his three daughters who are living upstairs all that much and is working out of a hospital in STL.  And that's not even the worst case scenario that some are dealing with.  Let's not mention military folks who are overseas for months at a time and away from their families.  I know, I know, military comparisons are trite, but it's hard to feel sorry for MLB players who are whining at the thought of doing their job for millions of dollars at the expense of not seeing their families for a few months when others already do it.

the one's who do so now are doing it out of necessity. ain't nothing necessary about baseball. Particularly with the overwhelming amount of idiocy this country's populace is displaying, I don't blame them. 

Edited by StillUnknown

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Doolittle's thread is pretty reasonable. if MLB, or any other sport, can't answer the questions he's asking, they probably shouldn't be thinking about playing.

I agree, his concerns are reasonable.  And I don't believe the MLB can answer those questions...which is stupid because the best way to handle an objection is to address it before it comes up.  Their proposal should be duck **** tight before having it been submitted so no one can poke holes in it.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree, his concerns are reasonable.  And I don't believe the MLB can answer those questions...which is stupid because the best way to handle an objection is to address it before it comes up.  Their proposal should be duck **** tight before having it been submitted so no one can poke holes in it.  

completely agree. It will be much more damaging to sports long-term if they **** up the start and have shut it down again after a couple of weeks or a month.

if the UFC actually mattered to the mainstream, they would be getting ripped to shreds for how they handled their fight card last Saturday.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

you root for the orioles, i'm trying to spare you more pain my good man

besides the longer they wait to comeback, the longer I can bask in championship glory

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Ah, look.  Tony Clark already batting it down:

Didn't even get to the player safety part, looks like.

Said MLBPA executive director Tony Clark: “A system that restricts player pay based on revenues is a salary cap, period. This is not the first salary cap proposal our union has received. It probably won’t be the last.

“That the league is trying to take advantage of a global health crisis to get what they’ve failed to achieve in the past — and to anonymously negotiate through the media for the last several days — suggests they know exactly how this will be received.

“None of this is beneficial to the process of finding a way for us to safely get back on the field and resume the 2020 season — which continues to be our sole focus.”