Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Project 11" Alex Smith's ESPN 30-for-30

7 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If anyone finds a way for people without ESPN to watch it, you have my thanks.

If you go to the ESPN website to the ON DEMAND you can replay the episode anytime from the website. It does require a sign-on to your cable service but I'm not sure if that means you actually have to be subscribed to ESPN on that service in order to replay the show.

The cable companies that have it are Xfinity, COX, DirectTv, The Dish, Verizon and several others.

You can also see it on HULU or Sling TV on demand (and several others) if you have one of those services:

https://news--of-the-day.com/2020/05/01/how-to-watch-espn-alex-smith-documentary-online-without-cable/

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Being in the medical field, and seeing the pics of what was left of Alex's leg after all the debridements, I am amazed they were able to put enough of him back together to save the leg at all. If he never plays again, I'm just going to be happy he survived it.  

Absolutely.  

The thing that was incredibly interesting and the mystery of it all is how he got flesh eating bacteria in that leg.  I mean,..correct me if I'm wrong but that's just such an outlier even considering the severity of the injury.  The surgeon said in the ESPN piece, "we see two types frequently, but four no".  The other two causing the necrotizing fasciitis.  Obviously he had to have it on his body before, or, got it on his leg immediately after the injury, thus it ends up in the wound.  Even the doctors were confounded.

Anyway, really well done piece my ESPN.  Alex is a really amazing guy and he knows how lucky he is to be where he's at right now.  

Edited by Probos
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Probos said:

Absolutely.  

The thing that was incredibly interesting and the mystery of it all is how he got flesh eating bacteria in that leg.  I mean,..correct me if I'm wrong but that's just such an outlier even considering the severity of the injury.  The surgeon said in the ESPN piece, "we see two types frequently, but four no".  The other two causing the necrotizing fasciitis.  Obviously he had to have it on his body before, or, got it on his leg immediately after the injury, thus it ends up in the wound.  Even the doctors were confounded.

Anyway, really well done piece my ESPN.  Alex is a really amazing guy and he knows how lucky he is to be where he's at right now.  

Didn't Guice have an infection after his knee surgery too?  Or was it McCoy?  Might be due to sub-optimal sterilization standards for the old training staff.

26 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Didn't Guice have an infection after his knee surgery too?  Or was it McCoy?  Might be due to sub-optimal sterilization standards for the old training staff.

Guice did have an infection but not the same kind that Alex had.  That said, sure, it's possible sub-optimal sterilization standards could have been the cause.

• Like 1

The docs at Inova Fairfax are some of the absolute best in the world.

Also, and I struggle whether to bring this up or not, but Dr. Robin West, the head team physician, sounded both EXTREMELY competent, and REALLY conservative.  She is one of the ones who forced Alex to spend one more night in the hospital because his fever was slightly elevated.  Which might have saved his life.  If he had gone home, and then had gone septic, it would have been really, really tight.  She's also the one who Alex's wife sat down and had a frank conversation with and asked for advice on amputating or trying to save the leg.  (Btw, that part of the documentary was seriously tear jerking.  You don't often see both patient and doctor cry.)  She was also the one who accompanied Alex, with his wife, onto the field at FedEx for the first time. Clearly, not only do Alex and his wife respect Dr. West for her medical competence, but they view her as a trusted advisor, and it sounds like now, a friend.  

We had another player who was here who had a serious medical issue.  In no way did the Redskins medical staff, and we're talking DOCTORS, not TRAINERS, seem like they were anything other than ridiculously qualified and extremely compassionate. In no way shape or form was there any indication the team did ANYTHING wrong, they had all of the right people involved from the start, and got Alex the absolute best care possible.  

Which contrasts dramatically from the stories of another player.  I'm just going to say based on what I've seen, I'm going to believe the team did what they were supposed to in regards to the medical obligations because there is no evidence they employ unqualified doctors.

The training staff, I have no comment on.  However, I think the medical staff, especially since they are partnered with Inova, is probably the best in the world.  And Dr. West was extremely impressive.  

44 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

No.  This is not the case. Infections just happen when you open a wound in hospitals all the time.  

The training staff has NOTHING to do with post operative infections.  It's something that happens during surgery.  There is just no way to prevent an infection post-surgery.  Which is why you monitor the patients so closely post-procedure.  

It could also be after you get home, and the wound is healing, a small infection develops.  It just happens.

The training staff has absolutely nothing to do with this type of thing.  It's the medical staff and the hospital, and honestly, more than anything, just plain luck going in either direction.  

• Like 6
Posted (edited)

Incredible documentary. Thank you @UK_HOG

That said, perhaps it could have been poorly cleaned equipment. They certainly didn’t operate on him in the lockeroom. But his sock was covering the wound. So it’s possible the sock had bacteria in it. Anyone that works for a company that has hires laundry companies that regularly clean clothing like lab suits or smocks could easily coorelate with this. At my facility, I’d guess the lab coats are clean 50% of the time. 

More than likely though, it’s something picked up in a hospital. Not uncommon to get infections like mrsa. This is a bit of an anomaly though. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1

The most graphic of shots, wasn't even the infection itself that turned black.

It was after the debridement of all the dead flesh and muscle tissue, and pictures of what was left of his leg.6

Literally gaping holes or craters in his leg, all the way to the point you could see his bone, and almost all the way up and down the tibia.

He literally had almost nothing left but bone, between his knee and foot.

The fact that they could transplant muscle, and it could function to the point he can already drop back and pass and run, etc, has to be miraculous.

On another topic, Urban Meyer seems like he would be a decent NFL coach if he chose to be.

• Like 2

I know a lot of times Mr. Snyder gets a lot of flak from fans. But I noticed it was Redskins 1 Jet that was used to fly Alex and family for treatment at the military base. 

It is interesting to also note that players don't seem to have a problem with Mr. Snyder but somehow he gets blamed by the fans... 

I am rooting for Alex to have some semblance of normal life. I have a better appreciation of why he has been successful as a professional. Imagine putting the same effort and determination to other aspects of his life... 

Reminds of Roger Staubach... he can be successful post-football. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Guy makes it really easy to pull for him. Dealt some bad hands in NFL situations and never took anything he had for granted 

That's another thing I took away from this.

All 3 of his stops in the NFL ended in a super bum deal, to say the least. And none of them were through any fault of his own.

Yet there is not an ounce of bitterness, or self pity, or discouragement from him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

This documentary made me an Alex Smith fan.  Find a role for him in the organization, even if he can't play QB.  Just having someone like that around players that are rehabbing would be amazing...

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That second leg pic. Jesus. Looks like some that got slaughtered by a velociraptor 

Reminded me of one of those picture sets you see of a car accident when someone crashes into a concrete wall about 120mph.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

know a lot of times Mr. Snyder gets a lot of flak from fans. But I noticed it was Redskins 1 Jet that was used to fly Alex and family for treatment at the military base. 

It is interesting to also note that players don't seem to have a problem with Mr. Snyder but somehow he gets blamed by the fans... 

players don’t have a problem with him

because he pays them ridiculous sums of money. 

don’t really think he deserves credit for doing the bare minimum and allowing use of his jet to fly to try treatment 

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

don’t really think he deserves credit for doing the bare minimum and allowing use of his jet to fly to try treatment 

I think the one thing you can’t question has been Snyder’s commitment to players in times of personal crisis.  He might have a lot of faults, but that’s not one of them. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the one thing you can’t question has been Snyder’s commitment to players in times of personal crisis.  He might have a lot of faults, but that’s not one of them. 

that's fine and true but I’m just not giving him credit for doing something any decent human in his position would 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

that's fine and true but I’m just not giving him credit for doing something any decent human in his position would 

Fair.  But not all people are decent human being, and some (most?) question whether Snyder actually is a decent human being.  

So I think while maybe it doesn’t give him bonus points, it at least shows he does the right thing in those situations, and while you might not give him credit, it’s better than the possible alternative. 

• Like 1