Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign LSU TE Thaddeus Moss as an UDFA

zCommander

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So, some people are saying he’s wearing #80, but i saw On twitter he was given 46W....which, how is 46W even a number......? 

That’s a camp number because they don’t have enough individual numbers. 46W means 46W. Which means offense because the O wears white for the Skins in practice.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So after training camp he’ll wear 80? 

If he makes the team he'll be assigned a real number. Not necessarily 80. The only number assigned to him currently is 46W... Unless they changed it already to be actually 80.

10 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

If the ghost of Jason Witten could manage to still inexplicably get open the last 3 years or so, I’m confident Thaddeus can find his own holes in zones and enough flat routes on bootlegs, while being an above average blocker, to hold his own. 

And thats all we really need. We haven't even had that consistently. Of course a freak athlete route running tight end is nice, but just a tight end/hback who is reliable and functional and doesn't completely tip off to the defense what the play is going to be everytime hes on the field - that will be nice. 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

4.87 40 yd dash according to "the web"

Sounds about right.  He's on the slowish side and not much of a separator IMO.  His strength IMO are his hands and he's an above average blocker especially for his size.

The guy who reminded me of Cooley among these TE's in the draft was Deguara.   I ranked the TEs on the draft thread and Moss was to me a lower round TE but I was surprised he went undrafted.  There were a number of TE's better than Moss in this last draft IMO.  But I do think he's likely better than Sprinkle and he makes the roster.  Will see. 

I just listened to Cooley on Sheehan's podcast.  LOL, he covers all bets on Moss.  He made it clearly he's not blown away by him.  He compliments him, he plays him down, too.  Said he's a tweener, a bring him in and see player.  He wasn't overwhelmed watching his film.   He likes him but didn't see him as a high pick in this draft.  

• 2 weeks later...

Priority free agent: Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

Scout 1: “We had late-round grades on him influenced a little bit by the medical (Jones fracture in his right foot). Good player. He’s still scratching the surface, and his best football is in front of them. So to get him as a PFA is definitely good for the Redskins. He understands blocking. You can tell he is a smart football player. He doesn’t necessarily want to block, but he’s big enough and strong enough to do it.”

Scout 2: “I would say this guy was probably the best blocking tight in the draft. Just based on how his dad performed in the NFL, you wouldn’t put two and two together. But yeah, I think Moss is a good football player. Like I said, He’s probably the best blocking tight end in the draft with both technique and leverage, execution and finish. He will definitely bring a presence at the line of scrimmage.

He’s a short to medium range receiver. Certainly, the fans shouldn’t expect Jordan Reed. Moss’s contributions definitely will be in the run game and the short passing game. At LSU, he finished strong. He’s not terribly tall or long or real athletic down the field, so it will never be a down the field tight end catching a 20-yard seam ball.”

Scout 3: “I didn’t see him in the middle rounds pre-injury. He’s short. He’s got nice hands, but he’s one speed. If his last name wasn’t Moss, I’m not sure how he would have been perceived. The kid had a great year at LSU, and that’s a testament to him, but upside-wise, what are you getting. An undersized h-back?”

Scout 4: “I didn’t really love Thaddeus. The injury might have made him undrafted, but not a big guy. Slow. Good hands and decent blocker when he wants to be.”

Source 1: “I liked Moss. Hands like his dad, but not the speed.”

https://theathletic.com/1805658/2020/05/11/scouts-view-talent-evaluators-reveal-analysis-on-redskins-2020-class/

On 5/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

4.87 40 yd dash according to "the web"

On 5/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds about right.  He's on the slowish side and not much of a separator IMO.  His strength IMO are his hands and he's an above average blocker especially for his size.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Almost sounds like, if he catches the ball, that many a Defensive Linemen will chase him down from behind.

I'm pulling for him though.

Sorry I wasn't clear about it...the 4.87 40 was Cooley's time at the combine.

41 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Sorry I wasn't clear about it...the 4.87 40 was Cooley's time at the combine.

Yes, and it contributed to Parcells saying Cooley was barely draftable even as an H-back, after we took him in the 3rd round.

Though I think we know enough about Cooley's legendary* work ethic at this point to know that he was probably always faster than that time and just never bothered to learn a proper get-off or form to maximize his 40 time like most decent prospects do. This is the guy who's admitted that if he took care of his body better during his career he could have played for another half decade at least (remember when we used to compare he and Witten's careers favorably? One guy didn't need to retire to live off his fandom's goodwill 7 freaking years ago).

*lol

20 minutes ago, carex said:

short?  He's 6'3

He measured 6'2" at the combine, which is about as short as it gets at TE in the NFL. Usually the guys that size are extremely athletic move-TE types like young Delanie Walker. I choose to believe as more of a blocking TE it'll help him keep leverage, getting up under taller guys' pads lol

1 hour ago, NYSkins21 said:

Just stating that Thad could have his Mom's genes. Maybe she's not as fast as Randy but one hell of a blocker? 😬

Maybe, but that one time her man got through had a profound effect on her future game.

Archived