Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

For having no arm Fields sure does get the ball out there.

I know you understand the difference between taking five hitch steps to launch a deep ball and sticking a field side 12 yard out or a 15-20 yard throw to split a brief cover 3 seam.  You don't demonstrate NFL level arm strength with your deep ball.  BTW I recognized that Fields is comfortable with the deep ball and he likes throwing deep against man.  What he doesn't like is throwing those arm strength passes against zone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I know you understand the difference between taking five hitch steps to launch a deep ball and sticking a field side 12 yard out or a 15-20 yard throw to split a brief cover 3 seam.  You don't demonstrate NFL level arm strength with your deep ball.  BTW I recognized that Fields is comfortable with the deep ball and he likes throwing deep against man.  What he doesn't like is throwing those arm strength passes against zone.

Arm strength is relative.

Saying he struggles with some throws is accurate... as all QBs do. Saying he doesn’t have a strong arm is different. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fields looks as good as advertised. Jesus.

The sack escape (he was down but no one saw :ols: ) and then the in stride post ball for a TD in Wilson’s bucket.

Yeah I am watching too.   Accurate, mobile, had a nice deep ball. 

As for zip on throws.  I thought it was telling to hear from a WR, KJ Hill, who actually caught balls from Haskins and Fields --say Fields has the stronger arm-more zip on his throws.  Haskins has his faults but arm strength isn't one of them.    Haskins for a dude with a strong arm throws a "meh" deep ball IMO and multiple other people have said the same.  Fields seems to have a better knack for throwing an on the money deep ball but granted for me its a small sample size so I might change my mind. 

https://theozone.net/2019/05/justin-fields-stronger-dwayne-haskins/#:~:text=“It's not really an adjustment,he does%2C” Hill said.

With so many repetitions in practice and players swapping in and out like the world’s most physical game of musical chairs, receivers get used to seeing footballs from different quarterbacks. They adjust on the fly and try to make the plays that are available to be made.

This also allows them to judge quarterbacks against each other.

“It’s not really an adjustment, but I’d say Justin has a stronger arm, a stronger arm than Dwayne,” said senior H-back KJ Hill. “I feel like that’s the only adjustment is catching that hot ball.”

Fields has a stronger arm than Haskins?

“Yeah, he does,” Hill said. “Bullet. It’s coming faster.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I love how he gets out of the pocket, looks to throw and delivers a strike. That pass to Wilson was beautiful. 

I do agree that his time in the pocket is a bit of Fool’s Gold. I try to watch when he is under duress to see how he reacts. 

I also think he holds the ball a bit too long sometimes. 

He’s not a perfect prospect.

But I think he’s an extremely good prospect.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love how he gets out of the pocket, looks to throw and delivers a strike. That pass to Wilson was beautiful. 

I do agree that his time in the pocket is a bit of Fool’s Gold. I try to watch when he is under duress to see how he reacts. 

I also think he holds the ball a bit too long sometimes. 

He’s not a perfect prospect.

But I think he’s an extremely good prospect.

I agree.  He has a wall of protection that buys him time and he feels comfortable holding on to the ball.  But I love his accuracy and touch.  Nice deep ball.  He's a gutsy runner and is a big guy who can take the punishment more than most.  From this game alone, (granted small sample) he throws a better deep ball, has better touch, throws a better out route, has better mobility, throws better on the move than Haskins.  IMO he's clearly a superior prospect.  This isn't me picking on Haskins but the notion some have that all Ohio State Qbs are questionable prospects in the pros.

Fields is a different kind of QB.  Agree, far from perfect.  As I've mentioned on this thread, listening on a podcast to a private QB coach who worked with both Fields and Haskins -- he couldn't hide being more excited about Fields' talent

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

@The Consigliere, I remember guys like Matt Ryan and Stafford being considered reaches at the time of their drafts too.  But their FOs banged the table for them and they panned out, and they are the guys who are cited for the rule that QB is a yes or no proposition in the draft, not a proposition of reach vs value.

Stafford is the other side of the coin to Darnold.  Similar prospects in a lot of ways.  Similar style, very similar strengths and weaknesses.  Depressingly different career outcomes.  Got drafted by similarly bad organizations, but the Lions had a much better staff at the time, and they had Calvin Johnson and quickly put some weapons on the field so that Stafford was able to find some individual success and solidify his job with the team long term.  Darnold's career is what happens when you give a prospect like that zero support and zero chance to properly develop.  It happens a lot.  Bad franchises draft good prospects and waste them almost every year.  We're arguably the most egregious example of this over the last ten years, which is why we I don't want to see this team draft Trevor Lawrence.

It is very tempting to agree with you.  It really is.  Not sure I would say I hope we don't draft him or he goes elsewhere.  I also fear what this organization would do to Lawrence if they got hold of him.  I see so many players who have talent get well and truly stuffed by landing in the wrong place.  Wrong system, bad players/coaches, been thrown in too early etc.  It’s bad for the team and bad for the player.  You have to ask yourself, if you had a son with top QB talent, would you recommend he come here?  

Having said all that- IF he came here, I would be excited to see if he could help drag us out of this 25+ years sporting nightmare.  I would just hope they bring in as much OL talent as possible and sit him for most of year 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No one has said you can, have they?

I’m just saying Haskins broke records last year because of having a day to throw and incredible WRs.  I think the top 50 QBs in college could put up crazy numbers with that talent and time.   We’ll never know what we’ll get when they play severely inferior competition all year. Penn St and maybe playoffs are the only time we maybe could accurately measure his skills 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m just saying Haskins broke records last year because of having a day to throw and incredible WRs.  I think the top 50 QBs in college could put up crazy numbers with that talent and time.   We’ll never know what we’ll get when they play severely inferior competition all year. Penn St and maybe playoffs are the only time we maybe could accurately measure his skills 

He isn’t Haskins. By any stretch. They don’t even play remotely similar. He doesn’t have the same flaws as Haskins. Or strengths. 

You have to stop looking at him like he’s the same kind of player. He isn’t. 

It’s not his numbers that make him good. Or bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He isn’t Haskins. By any stretch. They don’t even play remotely similar. He doesn’t have the same flaws as Haskins. Or strengths. 

You have to stop looking at him like he’s the same kind of player. He isn’t. 

It’s not his numbers that make him good. Or bad. 

Not that different.  Haskins was known for being a calm pocket passer.  He was known for having a good throw including a great deep ball.  Haskins broke Big Ten records all last year and was a potential Heisman favorite for quite a awhile.   Haskins rarely had to play outside his strengths because his WRs and RB could always make a play.   He only faced real  pressure 3-4 times a year.   I’ll wait until they play real teams to judge.  I mean heck we could throw for 80-100 yards in a game if we gave us the best WRs in college and zero pressure.  Might as well be playing catch in your backyard. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Fields skill set a lot but yeah I would like to see a game where he is under duress-pressure.  Nebraska has gotten to him like that play just now that was almost a safety but still its rarely quick pressure, 

Clemson game last year is a good sample.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll watch it, thanks, love his play in a clean pocket, my curiousity is how he'd fare without it. 

He has some mistakes and some brilliance. It’s really the best game to watch of him so far.

• Like 1