Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

If he's under contract I would think there's at least some kind of obligation.  How far that goes probably lies in the details of the contract.  They can obviously get out of that contract and just release him, but i'd have to imagine they would try to work out something first in regards to injury settlement.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had no issues with his personal baggage Parsons would be #1 LB to me.  The only reason why I posted that tweet was i was making the point to someone that its not a consensus among mock drafters that Zaven is by a mile the better get than Jamin or that no one prefered Jamin over Zaven and if they did it only happened after pro day.  Neither point is true.  As for most mock drafter types, the gap to them seems to be close between Zaven and Jamin.   I personally agree with that take. 

I haven't watched Parsons in a long time.  it wouldn't shock me if he is there at 19 if the character concerns are true.  But if they are do you shrug it off and hope he's changed? 

Questions raise and WFT needs to do their due diligence in finding out all they can about his or any player they draft.

@Skinsinparadise yep, the incidents with Parsons is troubling. Especially after the Guice fiasco. Guess it depends on what they are looking for from their LB. a guy who can strike fear/blitz like a missle or one who seems to excel in coverage. I don’t follow any of them enough to say myself.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1

Parsons is an outstanding prospect but I just don't know if I can get past the character concerns. How many times have we (and other teams) been burned when they decided to overlook character concerns and it ended up costing them? I totally agree that people do dumb stuff when they're young and they can grow up and learn and be better. But there just seems to be so much smoke with Parsons.

And it's not like he was arrested for jaywalking or accused of mooning someone once. It's allegations of sexual assault, inciting a riot, and physical altercations. I think I'd pass.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, dyst said:

@Skinsinparadise yep, the incidents with Parsons is troubling. Especially after the Guice fiasco. Guess it depends on what they are looking for from their LB. a guy who can strike fear/blitz like a missle or one who seems to excel in coverage. I don’t follow any of them enough to say myself.

I think the priority is a LB that can defend the run and cover. I don't think blitzing is that important. Del Rio likes to rush four and it seems like we're trying to switch to a more man to man style D.

53 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m not sure what Lavar Arrington’s character endorsement is good for. 

I like Parsons better against the run and on the blitz. I like Jamin in coverage and part of that isn’t going to get better for Parsons with experience. Jamin just has that long, lanky, coverage build. 

Lol, agree about Arrington, it probably doesn't help.

For me:

Parsons > Davis, Collins

Davis > Collins. But its close and for me its driven by what this team needs most at LB.

I don't really love either Davis or Collins at 19.  Parsons would be tempting but those character red flags get me.  I listen to a lot of draft podcasts and sometimes I'll forget where I heard what.  But the most recent thing was someone talked to people who knew him at Penn State and they said that he might be over his immaturity issues but wonder if he would still be driven in the NFL after getting a big payday. 

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the priority is a LB that can defend the run and cover. I don't think blitzing is that important. Del Rio likes to rush four and it seems like we're trying to switch to a more man to man style D.

Del Rio blitzes his linebackers quite a bit.  I've shown some of those clips on this thread.  I think fortunately each of the top 3 LBs in this draft have really good potential as a blitzer. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Keim's podcast today

A. He knows they really like a QB a lot who is going in the first and he knows they'd at least consider trading up.  He wasn't 100% sure who but alluded to thinking it could be Lance

B.  If they traded up for a QB, they'd try to have the picks be in the future versus heavy in this draft -- to use the current draft to improve the current roster

C.  He doesn't think they'd trade all the way to 4 because he doesn't think Rivera wants to give up that type of draft capital but if a player slips further maybe

D.  If they trade for a QB and miss out at LT for that reason or in the draft for whatever reason, he said watch out for the Steelers veteran tackle who is on the FA market still.  He has a difficult name to pronouce and i don't feel like looking it up :ols:

E.  He mentions on offense they want a LT, a TE and another RB for depth

F.  They like the depth in the draft at tackle.  

G.  They like the depth at LB but not as much as tackle but a good player could be had in the first few rounds

H.  He alluded to you don't need stud LBs behind a monster D line so they don't per se need to find crazy talent at that spot.  I assume that editorial came from a source at the FO?  His point seemed to be any player with talent will look better playing behind this D line. 

I.  he mentionted there are TEs they like after the first round

J. If they don't get the Qb in this draft don't be surprised to see trade downs to build 2022 draft capital

H.  They see this draft as killer important.  He said he got a quote from someone within the FO who said "they have to kill this draft"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If we went Darrisaw/Werner in rd 1/2 I’d be ecstatic. 

Follow that up with Amari Rodgers for a slot, Cisco if he falls even a little bit (or Sterns!) at free... And then snagging a back later like a Stevenson... heart be still.

What I’d really love is Darrisaw, Rondale, Werner rounds 1-3.

But I don’t know that Rondale is there in 2 or Werner is there in 3.

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think if Lance is there at 8 when the Panthers pick we'll at least give Carolina a call. Might still cost too much though.

Gonna have to outbid New England. They will very likely attempt to move to 7 if Fields or Lance is on the board. 

• Like 1

I listened to Keim again.  On the Lbs he noted most of the FA LBs who got a big deal weren't first rounders.  So he seemed to be perhaps hinting that they aren't looking at LBs in the first?  If so it feels LT or QB.

As I said though I noticed these rumor types tend to be more on the money as the draft gets closer.  Keim isn't perfect as for his sources but he's as good as it can get.  He nailed their position targets well in FA and nailed some of the specific player targets to a tee

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we went Darrisaw/Werner in rd 1/2 I’d be ecstatic. 

Follow that up with Amari Rodgers for a slot, Cisco if he falls even a little bit (or Sterns!) at free... And then snagging a back later like a Stevenson... heart be still.

What I’d really love is Darrisaw, Rondale, Werner rounds 1-3.

But I don’t know that Rondale is there in 2 or Werner is there in 3.

I am on board with all of that.  

For me I'd throw in a TE like Freiermuth or Jordan in that mix or Tremble in the third too.

Keim's been consistent on LT and TE so I am guessing that's happening.  LB, too. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gonna have to outbid New England. They will very likely attempt to move to 7 if Fields or Lance is on the board. 

Agree especially since the Lions are supposedly telling teams their pick is for sale. 

My guess is they take their chances and if the dude they want is still available at 7 they put in a bid. 

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If the 9ers take Jones I think the Pats will trade up for Fields. That would still leave Lance available at 8 or whenever.

But the more I think about it the more I think: there is no way the 9ers traded 3 1sts for Mac freaking Jones. No way, right?

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If the 9ers take Jones I think the Pats will trade up for Fields. That would still leave Lance available at 8 or whenever.

But the more I think about it the more I think: there is no way the 9ers traded 3 1sts for Mac freaking Jones. No way, right?

Atlanta, Miami (doubt they draft one but...), Detroit are all threats to take a QB. 

Assume all 3 are trade destinations.teams looking to move up

Feautre article today in the WP on Jamin Davis

Jamin Davis began last season off the NFL’s radar. In a few weeks, he could be a first-round pick

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/09/jamin-davis-nfl-draft-prospect-linebacker/

James and Tanga Davis knew their son was a little different when, at only 8 years old, he started calling out plays while watching college football games. He knew every player’s name, and every player’s position. He’d walk around cradling a football, to the point his mother occasionally reminded him that college athletes carry books, too.

He idolized running back LaDainian Tomlinson, and even though his parents made sure to keep him involved in other activities — baseball, soccer, track — football spoke to him in ways no other sport could.

That secret his parents discovered years ago is one the rest of the nation is beginning to realize. After only one full season as a starting linebacker at Kentucky — and after a limited pre-draft process — Davis has transformed from a relative unknown to a potential first-round pick.

“I mean, I didn’t honestly know who he was during the fall,” said NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah. “Nobody had said anything to me about him, and then you’re kind of going through and watching on tape and this guy just jumps off the screen.”

ESPN’s Todd McShay, who didn’t include Davis in mock drafts two months ago, most recently projected Davis as the 29th pick, to the Green Bay Packers. McShay’s colleague Mel Kiper recently ranked Davis as the 14th-best overall prospect and second-best linebacker, behind Penn State’s Micah Parsons.

Davis wasn’t even among Kiper’s top 10 linebackers in February.

“I’ve been messing with Mel about it because I told him about Jamin Davis and had him going late in the first round, and then he bumped him up to like [17] overall. I was like, ‘Listen, Mel, you didn’t even know this guy before I told you about him.’ But he obviously did.”

...At 6-foot-4, 234 pounds, Davis is a wall of muscle equipped with rare speed (he ran the 40-yard dash in unofficial times of 4.41 and 4.37 seconds at his pro day), obvious athleticism (42-inch vertical and 11-foot broad jumps) and the ball skills to be a menace in coverage.

“This isn’t some overnight sensation,” said Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops. “... He’s done a lot of work for a lot of years to put himself in this position.”

‘He just wants to hit people’

The Davises moved from Honolulu to Georgia when Davis was only about a year old. James, now a retired army veteran like Tanga, was stationed at Fort Stewart, about an hour south of Savannah, where Jamin got his first taste of the game.

...Though the dream then was to be like Tomlinson, it wasn’t long before Davis took a liking to a different position. When Davis was around 8, his rec league coach pulled his father aside and asked him to speak to his son. “‘I’m trying to get him the ball,’ ” James recalled the coach saying, “ ‘but he just wants to hit people.’

“He’s a totally different person [on the field].” James continued. “He’s just focused. It’s like David Banner turning into the Hulk — he’s going to get there and he knows what he’s got to do, and he just focuses on completing the mission.”

Davis understood the game at a level few kids his age could. And the advice one of his coaches gave him early on has stuck with him for years. The coach told his team that “you can’t have a million dollar dream without a minimum wage work ethic.” Davis took it to heart.

“From elementary school through middle school, even up to high school, it never left my mind,” he said. “It's true: You're going to get out of it whatever you put into it. It was just something that throughout high school I learned, especially being from a smaller area. You can't have these dreams of playing in the SEC or playing in the NFL if you're not doing the work to get to that level.”

At Long County High in Ludowici, a town of about 2,600 in southeast Georgia, Davis became a standout receiver and linebacker, compiling 131 tackles as a junior and 126 more as a senior while offering glimpses of what he’d do at Kentucky. After a slow start to his recruitment, Davis committed to Kentucky in part because it was the first program to offer.

...Though Davis entered the 2020 season with only one start at linebacker, he had completed a physical transformation, from that 195-pound teenager years earlier to a 234-pound man. He pushed himself to become more vocal on the field — to be that “general,” like he described Ray Lewis — and often arrived an hour early to Sumrall’s meeting to learn the intricacies of the defense or watch film of opponents.

“I think he felt the sense of urgency to step his game up and take the next step,” Sumrall said. “He went from a guy who did what he had to do to prepare each game and each week and each practice to a guy that was preparing like he was on a mission.”

‘He’s a complete guy’

As NFL interest in Davis has increased, his name has shot up draft rankings and his play has drawn praise by analysts.

“I love watching him because he reads the play so quickly, especially on run plays. He just shoots that gap,” McShay said. “He sees it so fast.”

But the new gold standard for inside linebacker is the player who can not just chase down backs in the running game but also cover tight ends and occasionally wide receivers in the passing game. Davis was one of six linebackers last year — including the nation’s top defensive player, Zaven Collins — to have at least three picks, and now many analysts rank Davis as the No. 2 inside backer behind Parsons.

“To me, his ability to defend the run and then to be able to cover, he’s a complete guy,” McShay said. “And you saw the pro day workout — his numbers are outstanding. … I can’t say enough good things about him.”

Yet Davis’s intrigue goes beyond his physical skill. He is an avid NASCAR fan, and aspires to be a lawyer when football ends because he knows it eventually will. He’s a self-described introvert with football as his focus, but he’d stay late after team dinners to play with Sumrall’s kids and his neighbor’s kids.

Sumrall said he knows that Davis’s on-field talents are special, but his character is even more so. And perhaps, finally, the NFL is discovering what he — and Davis’s parents — saw long ago.

• Like 2

Parsons could be a Cam Newton type of personality that got caught up in a bad group. It happens. If we draft him, he'll be in a very strong locker room and football first, which might be special for him, but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No surprises there.

• Like 2

I would say the Thaddeus Moss release is a surprise. I thought the team was really expecting something from him. My assumption that the team was high on him led me to think they could pass on TE if there wasn't a chance to grab a guy as a BPA, but I have a hard time thinking they can come out of this draft without one.

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would say the Thaddeus Moss release is a surprise. I thought the team was really expecting something from him. My assumption that the team was high on him led me to think they could pass on TE if there wasn't a chance to grab a guy as a BPA, but I have a hard time thinking they can come out of this draft without one.

Keim has been beating like a drum that TE is high on their agenda in this draft.  Also it was reported we were in on one of the TEs in FA but got outbid, it never came out who the target was.

That year when Moss came out, I thought he was overrated.  I rated him as a late rounder in that draft.  Some mock drafters had him in the 3-5th range.  But I wasn't high on him.  He didn't seperate well.  He was a decent blocker albeit undersized.   For me Moss being gone no shocker. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim has been beating like a drum that TE is high on their agenda in this draft.  Also it was reported we were in on one of the TEs in FA but got outbid, it never came out who the target was.

That year when Moss came out, I thought he was overrated.  I rated him as a late rounder in that draft.  Some mock drafters had him in the 3-5th range.  But I wasn't high on him.  He didn't seperate well.  He was a decent blocker albeit undersized.   For me Moss being gone no shocker. 

With or without Moss I expected another TE.  So now I'll be curious if they draft one and look for another UDFA.

In addition to Moss, Caleb Brantley is a surprise release. Before he took the year off due to Covid, he was a reliable contributor. I was wondering if he could even play some edge if Kerrigan isn't re-signed.

The only real surprise with Moss is they signed him as an UDFA knowing 2020 would be a wash coming off foot surgery and were willing to keep him around on IR for a year it seems to give him a chance to compete in 2021.  

• Like 1