Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Picked him out many months ago when you posted your original list of players on the early pages of the thread. Need to revisit some of that, but would look a solid choice.

Looking back at those lists (I probably won't go through that whole grading process like I did for some of them. That was ridiculously time consuming... but I imagine I'll do a final run through and grade for guys)... It's fun to see how many of those grades carry over to the current and how many are vastly different. I like Rondale Moore a lot more now, I have Toney graded higher now and Waddle is much higher (as is Smith).

Dyami is still my sleeper receiver.

Tackles is remarkably close to current. Add Radunz. 

I didn't do the defense there. Gotta really spend a lot of time on the LBs real soon. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Looking back at those lists (I probably won't go through that whole grading process like I did for some of them. That was ridiculously time consuming... but I imagine I'll do a final run through and grade for guys)... It's fun to see how many of those grades carry over to the current and how many are vastly different. I like Rondale Moore a lot more now, I have Toney graded higher now and Waddle is much higher (as is Smith).

Dyami is still my sleeper receiver.

Tackles is remarkably close to current. Add Radunz. 

I didn't do the defense there. Gotta really spend a lot of time on the LBs real soon. 

OL looks deep, I also looked at Munford, especially after watching a bit of Fields.

LB would be interesting. Parsons clearly out in front. I do like Bolton, before SIP posted about him I’d looked a little already. I think he will go the same way as my favourite from last year, Jordyn Brooks, and fly up the board. I also like Sanborn, however his sub par tackling and general under par athleticism has soured me.

Need to look a bit more over the winter, especially if we’re still under COVID lockdown rules. Make use of the time. Should also have a better idea of draft slot by then.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

OL looks deep, I also looked at Munford, especially after watching a bit of Fields.

LB would be interesting. Parsons clearly out in front. I do like Bolton, before SIP posted about him I’d looked a little already. I think he will go the same way as my favourite from last year, Jordyn Brooks, and fly up the board. I also like Sanborn, however his sub par tackling and general under par athleticism has soured me.

Need to look a bit more over the winter, especially if we’re still under COVID lockdown rules. Make use of the time. Should also have a better idea of draft slot by then.

Not a Sanborn fan. He’s more of the same of what we have with worse tackling and speed, in my opinion. He would be a fun developmental type guy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That works :ols:

7: R1 P7 QB Zach Wilson - BYU
39: R2 P7 TE Kyle Pitts - Florida
71: R3 P7 LB Dylan Moses - Alabama
75: R3 P11 LB Nick Bolton - Missouri
109: R4 P7 WR Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC

This is about as likely as me landing Evangeline Lilly as my wife.

• Haha 7
13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That works :ols:

7: R1 P7 QB Zach Wilson - BYU
39: R2 P7 TE Kyle Pitts - Florida
71: R3 P7 LB Dylan Moses - Alabama
75: R3 P11 LB Nick Bolton - Missouri
109: R4 P7 WR Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC

We should erect a statue of Kyle Smith if we get a draft like that.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Someone check out Zaven Collins, linebacker from Tulsa. 

You guys have a much more football IQ than me, I'd love to hear what you guys think of him. 

From the Ok. St. game:

He's a big boy that moves well. Not a bad player in coverage. He's more of an outside guy than an inside guy. 

He gets downhill really well but takes some angles and doesn't commit as fast as you'd like. 

He excels when he's down hill and especially as an edge rusher type of guy. Good athleticism, hands and quick feet. 

He misses a few too many tackles.

I like him, but I think he's a developmental guy for the outside.

I'd take him to groom to take over an OLB spot with potential as an inside guy in a nickel look in the mid rounds based off of this one game and highlights and games I've seen him while watching college ball.

I'd also be interested to see how his game translates to the MIKE spot... but he kind of functions as a pseudo DE in the Tulsa defense at times. 

I would feel better about him as a 3-4 OLB type of guy I think. 

• Like 2

So I was just on Tankathon website and they have us drafting OT Daniel Faalele in the 3rd. Guy is 6’9” and 400 lbs?!? 

It looks like he was expected to be in 2022 draft so not sure if he declared. Anyone know anything about him? It doesn’t seem possible. Almost sounds like he is too big. 

Assuming we draft too late to grab a QB, I'd really like to see us grab a playmaker in the 1st. I'm going to assume we are choosing at 19. Jaylen Waddle could fall, with his injury. Rondale Moore. Devonta Smith. I don't think Kyle Pitts falls, but there is a tiny chance he could be there.Those, I think, are my favorite offensive playmakers that may go outside the top 10 in the draft.  Look at what adding some talent at WR did for Josh Allen this year. We need more playmakers. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

Assuming we draft too late to grab a QB, I'd really like to see us grab a playmaker in the 1st. I'm going to assume we are choosing at 19. Jaylen Waddle could fall, with his injury. Rondale Moore. Devonta Smith. I don't think Kyle Pitts falls, but there is a tiny chance he could be there.Those, I think, are my favorite offensive playmakers that may go outside the top 10 in the draft.  Look at what adding some talent at WR did for Josh Allen this year. We need more playmakers. 

Please god find a good LB somehwere. Draft, FA, trade, whatever you gotta do... I don't want to watch another season where Cole Holcomb is the best guy in the LB corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are definitely getting some improvement on the roster. The ‘evaluation’ is working in my opinion. Curl is a very good example of that. Interior OL solid, might need to spend some FA cash to retain a couple of valuable players.

Draft slot looking like the 10-20 range now, still keeps us on the fringes on the QB game.

Couple of high end LBs should be a priority. 

2 potential high draft pick MLBs in the Notre Dame/N. Carolina game.

Chazz Surratt with an early sack.  He's an interesting story.  https://www.nfl.com/news/how-unc-s-chazz-surratt-went-from-starting-qb-to-prized-lb-prospect

...In that meeting, Surratt told Brown the NFL was his ultimate goal, and that he felt better suited to reach the NFL at a position he hadn't played since the ninth grade than at the one he'd played for three years at UNC. Surratt had just spent the entire winter break at home training three to four hours a day on linebacker drills he'd gotten from UNC graduate assistant Jeff Schoettmer. He'd been eating six meals a day to add weight for the switch and had scoured YouTube for all the highlights he could find of the best linebackers in the game.

Still, for Brown, it was a leap of faith.

Despite Surratt's size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) and speed (4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash, per Thigpen), it was obvious in the spring that he had much to learn. Brown also wondered if a quarterback could survive the physical rigors of playing inside linebacker.

"I did have toughness concerns about him, because what he was doing was so unusual," Brown said. "Quarterbacks are tough, but they're tough in a different way. They're mentally tough. Some aren't as physically tough."

..."I thought, 'If he can't play quarterback, he could make a hell of a linebacker,' " Thigpen said. "I used to lean in his ear and say, 'Come over to linebacker, you could make a hell of a lot of money.' But I was joking. I didn't think he would take me serious."

Thigpen can't say exactly what kind of chess piece the NFL club that drafts Surratt will be getting. He knows it will be a valuable one, and very much contemporary with the way defensive skill sets are evolving at the pro level: speedy, quick, and well-suited for pass defense. The linebackers coach describes the current state of the college game as "basketball on grass" and lauds Surratt's natural ability to chase down mobile quarterbacks, blanket both tight ends and running backs in coverage, and disrupt the backfield as a pass rusher. But he's realistic about the experience factor. The difference between a two-year starter who's played linebacker his entire life and a two-year starter who's previously played nothing but quarterback since the 10th grade isn't to be overlooked.

....Surratt earned a starting role for the season opener against South Carolina, and his first attempt at a full-speed tackle in seven years had a predictable outcome: Running back Tavien Feaster beat the inexperienced linebacker with a spin move in the hole and broke off a 34-yard touchdown. Defensive coordinator Jay Bateman naturally barked at Surratt on the sideline before being asked to back off by Brown.

....By season's end, Surratt's countermove was proving to be a powerful one. He led the Tar Heels in tackles (115), solo stops (66), tackles for loss (14.5), sacks (6.5) and QB hurries (10). He was also runner-up for ACC Defensive Player of the Year in his first year at the position. His breakout game -- the one that convinced Thigpen he was overseeing the transformation of a college quarterback into an NFL linebacker -- came against defending national champion Clemson. In his fifth career start at the position, Surratt made seven stops, broke up two passes, dropped Tigers star QB Trevor Lawrence for a sack and hurried him on three more pass attempts.

"He's got everything he needs for the pros. He's fast, he's smart, he's tough, and it's really important to him," Brown said. "Nothing in his life right now is more important to him than helping this team win and being the best player he can be."

Despite his statistical productivity, missed tackles were the most problematic adjustment in his first year as a starter. The UNC staff believes the issue had less to do with his tackling form and more to do with taking poor pursuit angles. He's improved in that area in 2020, but not quite to his own satisfaction. Thigpen, nevertheless, sees untapped playmaking even in his mistakes.

"People can't outrun him, but sometimes they'll feel him in pursuit and put the brakes on, and he'll fly by," Thigpen said. "But that's something we work on every day. I tell him, 'They can only cut back on you. They can't turn the corner on you.' "

He's again leading UNC in tackles (68 total, 36 solo) and sacks (5) this season. The missed tackles haven't gone unnoticed by NFL scouts, but neither has his athleticism. Beyond pursuit angles, they've noted Surratt's improvement in a different area: hand use.

"First year, he had to sift to make tackles and didn't really know how to use his hands," said a scout for an AFC team who sees Surratt as a likely second-round selection. "This year, that has improved, and he's gotten stronger. He still misses some tackles, and in pass rush he doesn't have much of a plan yet. But he has the physical traits to get to the quarterback. There could be a big ceiling there."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m recording the game. How’s my dude Dyami doing? I like Chazz and UK (I’m not spelling the ND Backer’s name ever again.)

Also gonna keep an eye on Howell.

I am digging Chaz so far, dangerous on a blitz, has tackled well in this game, finds his way to the action wherever it is.  

Koramoah hasn't made a major impact yet

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am digging Chaz so far, dangerous on a blitz, has tackled well in this game, finds his way to the action wherever it is.  

How did Chazz do in coverage? I am a really big fan but still hold that question with him.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What are the chances that Morgan's move to the left side could offer a long term fix?  It'd make it a lot easier to find a second starting OT.

I can't believe he's only 29. Morgan Moses seems like he's been with us forever. It would be great if between him and Charles, the tackle spot was locked down.