Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It would be but it's going to take some convincing to get me to them not going offense. I think they would need some FA home runs at OL, WR and decision made on QB before the draft.

I hope they do not try patching LB again. 

If they're at 8 the choice would likely be between Chase/Smith/Waddle and Parsons. 

Sewell will be gone. Three QBs likely gone. 

To me LB > WR. Especially because WR is a deeper group.

The WR class is loaded. We may be able to land Dyami Brown late.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If they're at 8 the choice would likely be between Chase/Smith/Waddle and Parsons. 

Sewell will be gone. Three QBs likely gone. 

To me LB > WR. Especially because WR is a deeper group.

The WR class is loaded. We may be able to land Dyami Brown late.

Some here may not like it, but Lance is also a possibility there.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Some here may not like it, but Lance is also a possibility there.

He is. I wouldn’t be dramatically opposed. I love his ceiling potential. But he’s a project from what we’ve seen. Now he may work out and look polished as hell after the months of doing nothing but train and learn. 

I like Lance. Right now I’d prefer Parsons > Lance.

I think I’d take Lance over a receiver, though. This draft is so loaded with receiver talent...

I don't think WR is as big an issue now. McLaurin is a stud and I think between our young guys we can find an effective #3 type. I'd look to add a quality vet who can compliment McLaurin reliably as our #2. I don't know who is available in FA though besides Juju Smith-Shuster but he'd probably be too expensive.

Definitely need a TE though. I'm sick of Thomas dropping balls and never getting open. TEs dominate nowadays, we need one.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think WR is as big an issue now. McLaurin is a stud and I think between our young guys we can find an effective #3 type. I'd look to add a quality vet who can compliment McLaurin reliably as our #2. I don't know who is available in FA though besides Juju Smith-Shuster but he'd probably be too expensive.

Definitely need a TE though. I'm sick of Thomas dropping balls and never getting open. TEs dominate nowadays, we need one.

I think it just depends on where you want to spend.  If you go QB in the first, you have the flexibility to spend in free agency.  Allen Robinson is a free agent... he's been playing with as much, or more, QB flux than we've had here and he's been effective.  If he had top 15 QB, his ability could be scary.  His last contract was a contract ($14m apy) we could duplicate, and likely could still afford if it went up a little bit, especially since we reportedly offered Cooper a lot more than that...  Just a side note, at the time I was kind of excited we went after Cooper but hindsight being what it is, and with Covid killing the cap next year, it may have worked out in our favor that we weren't able to sign him.  His contract may force Dallas to move on from Dak. 

Edited by OVCChairman
25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

TY Hilton and AJ Green are options on 1 or 2 year deals. Hilton hasn’t played well this season but he can still separate well at this stage

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I think it just depends on where you want to spend.  If you go QB in the first, you have the flexibility to spend in free agency.  Allen Robinson is a free agent... he's been playing with as much, or more, QB flux than we've had here and he's been effective.  If he had top 15 QB, his ability could be scary.  His last contract was a contract ($14m apy) we could duplicate, and likely could still afford if it went up a little bit, especially since we reportedly offered Cooper a lot more than that...  Just a side note, at the time I was kind of excited we went after Cooper but hindsight being what it is, and with Covid killing the cap next year, it may have worked out in our favor that we weren't able to sign him.  His contract may force Dallas to move on from Dak. 

Robinson is a stud but I'm looking at someone more like a Mohammed Sanu or Emanuel Sanders. Not those players exactly but guys in that tier, good complimentary types who wouldn't cost that much.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Robinson is a stud but I'm looking at someone more like a Mohammed Sanu or Emanuel Sanders. Not those players exactly but guys in that tier, good complimentary types who wouldn't cost that much.

I get it, and I agree to a point... not sure I want to spend big on WR, but it depends on how we draft....  which was my point about where you want to spend.  We have flexibility.  

Looking at the draft, WR depth is legit.  TE could be sneaky deep, and QB appears VERY top heavy.  We could see 6 QBs go in the first round if Pittsburg decides to draft Ben's successor in the first round to retain that 5th year option.  That is going to push talent into the 2nd round so it's very possible a player with a first round grade falls to our 2nd round pick.  More and more looking at the draft, I almost feel like we NEED to take a stud MLB early if the guy is on the board, if we don't go QB.  From what I've seen the drop off is huge between Parsons / Moses and the rest of the field.  Looking at that, I feel like there will be more OT and TE depth into the 2nd round than QB and ILB, and I think there could be a decent to good TE in the 3rd (ahem, Jake Ferguson.. ahem).  

If things fell that way, adding a stud WR like Robinson takes this offense to a different level, and the defense should hopefully progress further to make the team A LOT more complete.  

I also think there will be some surprise cuts, as well as shocking discounts due to the covid cap issues, so some things could also fall into our laps.  

37 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I get it, and I agree to a point... not sure I want to spend big on WR, but it depends on how we draft....  which was my point about where you want to spend.  We have flexibility.  

Looking at the draft, WR depth is legit.  TE could be sneaky deep, and QB appears VERY top heavy.  We could see 6 QBs go in the first round if Pittsburg decides to draft Ben's successor in the first round to retain that 5th year option.  That is going to push talent into the 2nd round so it's very possible a player with a first round grade falls to our 2nd round pick.  More and more looking at the draft, I almost feel like we NEED to take a stud MLB early if the guy is on the board, if we don't go QB.  From what I've seen the drop off is huge between Parsons / Moses and the rest of the field.  Looking at that, I feel like there will be more OT and TE depth into the 2nd round than QB and ILB, and I think there could be a decent to good TE in the 3rd (ahem, Jake Ferguson.. ahem).  

If things fell that way, adding a stud WR like Robinson takes this offense to a different level, and the defense should hopefully progress further to make the team A LOT more complete.  

I also think there will be some surprise cuts, as well as shocking discounts due to the covid cap issues, so some things could also fall into our laps.  

Right now, assuming we don't get a top 3 QB I'm looking at something like:

Round 1 Parsons, LB, Penn State

Round 2 Radunz, LT, ND St. (If Moses is here I'd be SO tempted to take another backer...)

Round 3 Bolden, S, Miami (though, he's probably more of a SS and we seem to like Curl and Collins is still here, so this could be Kadarius Toney, who I really like... WR, Florida

Round 3 Holland, S, Oregon (People are projecting him to fall, I don't see it... but for the record if he's there at the first 3rd rounder I may not pass...)... Taking into consideration how outlandish that pick is, I'd go Hunter Long, TE, Boston College

Round 4 Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson OR Seth Williams, WR, Auburn

Round 5 Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa or Palaie Gaoteote IV, LB, USC

Round 6 N/A

Round 7 Probably look at IOL here.

In a crazy ass world...

Round 1, Zach Wilson, QB, BYU (if he somehow falls)

Round 2, Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama

Round 3, Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

Round 3, Hunter Long, TE, Boston College (if on the board)

Round 4, Literally the absolute best player on our board. 

Round 5, Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

Round 7, IOL

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In a crazy ass world...

Round 7, IOL

If this were to happen I would be really happy, but i dont think Moses falls to the 2nd round.  I would not be shocked if he ends up top 15 depending on how the QBs shake out but that may be crazy . 

I also just did a mock on PFN where Trask fell to the Cowboys in the 3rd so who the heck knows what is gonna happen.  Moses was taken 6th overall, a pick after I took Parsons. 

I did 4 rounds and it ended up:

5 - Micah Parsons - LB - PSU

36 - Alex Leatherwood - OT - Ala

73 - Jake Ferguson - TE - Wis

Traded back a few picks and added a later mid round pick

114 - Desmond Ridder - Qb - Cin

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 2

I think Moses has a chance to fall. He is not the same since the injury this year. I think he’ll be fine, and he is getting better week to week, but teams could be scared off. 

I also think it’s possible he’s top 15

35 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If this were to happen I would be really happy, but i dont think Moses falls to the 2nd round.  I would not be shocked if he ends up top 15 depending on how the QBs shake out but that may be crazy . 

I also just did a mock on PFN where Trask fell to the Cowboys in the 3rd so who the heck knows what is gonna happen.  Moses was taken 6th overall, a pick after I took Parsons. 

I did 4 rounds and it ended up:

5 - Micah Parsons - LB - PSU

36 - Alex Leatherwood - OT - Ala

73 - Jake Ferguson - TE - Wis

Traded back a few picks and added a later mid round pick

114 - Desmond Ridder - Qb - Cin

Picking some of my favorite 3rd-4th round players:  Ferguson and Ridder.  I like it.  😀

I'd be surprised if Leatherwood drops to the 2nd.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Picking some of my favorite 3rd-4th round players:  Ferguson and Ridder.  I like it.  😀

I'd be surprised if Leatherwood drops to the 2nd.  

Me too, and when I first started my version of a 'big board' Ferguson was TE8 but i made a note he would not be that far down come draft day.  I don't know that he makes it to our pick in the 3rd either depending on the next few weeks.  

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In a crazy ass world...

Round 7, IOL

I've watched Moses in real time but I have to study him still.  I like Toney a lot.  I've read and posted on some of the hype on Long but haven't watched him,  I know for sure I like Ferguson who I have watched.  He's one of my guys right now in that 3rd-4th round range. 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Me too, and when I first started my version of a 'big board' Ferguson was TE8 but i made a note he would not be that far down come draft day.  I don't know that he makes it to our pick in the 3rd either depending on the next few weeks.  

It's so hard to find a TE who can block and make plays.  He fits that mold.  i think he will be a really good TE.  i did a write up on him here if I recall about a week ago. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Right now, assuming we don't get a top 3 QB I'm looking at something like:

Round 1 Parsons, LB, Penn State

Round 2 Radunz, LT, ND St. (If Moses is here I'd be SO tempted to take another backer...)

Round 3 Bolden, S, Miami (though, he's probably more of a SS and we seem to like Curl and Collins is still here, so this could be Kadarius Toney, who I really like... WR, Florida

Round 3 Holland, S, Oregon (People are projecting him to fall, I don't see it... but for the record if he's there at the first 3rd rounder I may not pass...)... Taking into consideration how outlandish that pick is, I'd go Hunter Long, TE, Boston College

Round 4 Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson OR Seth Williams, WR, Auburn

Round 5 Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa or Palaie Gaoteote IV, LB, USC

Round 6 N/A

Round 7 Probably look at IOL here.

In a crazy ass world...

Round 7, IOL

Curious what slot you have us picking at? Is this based on current order at 5 or somewhere lower?

Sure is an interesting situation at QB. Really is difficult to read at the minute what direction we go in. Hell, Smith might have a realistic shot at being starter. Allen looks a keeper in 2021. Maybe we don’t target QB early.

Not advocating the selection, or the merits of it, but in Carolina you had them taking Grier in the mid rounds. The talk at the time was all about QB depth for them, having relied on Derek Anderson for years.

Cam was creaking badly, in the end it crashed and burned. Maybe that will make Rivera think a lot about the risk involved in riding Smith too long. 

Assuming we didn’t go QB early, we should be lined up for a great haul in theory. I’d badly want Parsons in that scenario.

A player I recall me, @KDawgand others here really liked.  He's another case in point about intangibles.  i recall someone asking who reminds the most of McLaurin among the non first tier WR guys.  I picked Pittman because like McLaurin he had the rep for being a workaholic, sound run blocker, special teams guy, good route runner, good guy.  A dude who does it all with high intangibles.  

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I regret never studying Herbert

In real times, not a lot stood out about Herbert.  He was big and had a good arm.  But Oregon, a bit like Ohio St., has an offensive system and I always felt like I was more watching the Oregon system rather than watching Herbert make creative plays.   I am sure if you scouted him you would have been able to do a bit of a deep dive on him, but as a avid college football fan, but non-technical person that was my impression.   I only watched him Oregon's three or so primetime games last year, but I wasn't super impressed.

• Like 1

If we don’t go QB and are picking 6-10, I think I want Parsons too. The FA class at LB is garbage - it’s going to be impossible to find 2 new starters out of that group. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A player I recall me, @KDawgand others here really liked.  He's another case in point about intangibles.  i recall someone asking who reminds the most of McLaurin among the non first tier WR guys.  I picked Pittman because like McLaurin he had the rep for being a workaholic, sound run blocker, special teams guy, good route runner, good guy.  A dude who does it all with high intangibles.  

He was picked up with the second pick from the Sweat trade. These are the downstream consequences of what happens when the owner comes in and forces Haskins on us

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I regret never studying Herbert

His Junior tape was top number one overall pick stuff. Lots of potential. Big arm. Strong. Athletic. Smart. The intangibles were through the roof. The issue with him was more his senior tape. It wasn’t that he didn’t play well. He did. But he didn’t show marked improvement, his team struggled a bit despite the ridiculous OL and he had a couple rough games. 

The truth is he was pretty similar to the year before. But draftniks were nervous about his lack of progress and some of his issues specifically in games like Arizona State. 

I liked Herbert. I’m glad he didn’t come out the year before because he’d probably be a Giant. Or Murray would be (though I’m pretty sure Murray was going one ultimately regardless).

His read issues did sour me a bit on him. I thought he was drafted in the right range given his senior year but he earned his high end placement due to entire body of work.

• Like 1