Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

@Kingkylr1008 Awesome post! But you left Penei out! Very good insight!

I had him 2nd look again. I would love to have a left tackle like and be able to move Charles to RT

21 hours ago, zskins said:

@Kingkylr1008 what an entrance indeed. I am glad that you decided to finally create an account. It is people like you that makes ES what it is - great wealth of football knowledge. Loved reading your insights! Please keep on contributing. :)

Thanks for the welcome. I plan to. I’m excited to be apart of this board. I’m just ready to watch some sports again. 

• Like 4

My first pleasant surprise in this tackle class, Thayor Munford, LT, Ohio State. 

He isn't the physical destroyer that some of these other guys have been. Doesn't have a destructive punch or devastating power. But he has a good, strong base and can hold up against various rushers in pass sets. He uses his body very well and keeps his body between the defender and the ball carrier. Looks for work and stays busy in all phases. In bull rush sets he gets his upper body pushed back a touch and he can be in an awkward bent position, but he maintains his block - which is exactly what you're looking for. 

In the run game, he's not a devastating blocker, but he uses his leverage and angles well and will move defenders off the ball based on where they allow him to take them. But just because he doesn't have dominating power doesn't mean the guy can't mash a little. He will take advantage of sloppy reps from defensive players and move them.

He moves well for a big guy and has the ideal size and strength you want from a top OT perspective. 

I've evaluated 7 OTs in a bit of detail so far, and he's my current OT3.

My Grade: 8.35

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I'm curious how @KDawg @volsmet @Skinsinparadise @stevemcqueen1 compare sewell to our previous LTs...I see the same athleticism twill had...and the report about sewell said he best tackle to enter since tunsil...but I'm not a huge believer in tunsil. 

Sewell is going to be similar to Chase Young in how he dwarfs the prospects that have come before him.  He's on a different level and I think people are going to be comparing him to legendary prospects/players like Joe Thomas and Walter Jones and Orlando Pace rather than the Laremy Tunsils of draft history.  As a 19 year old true sophomore, he was comfortably better than all of the tackles that were in this very strong OT class.  He is a significantly better prospect than Tunsil was IMO.  Tunsil was overhyped and he hasn't come close to meeting the expectations people had for him.  It's pretty clear in hindsight that guys like Lane Johnson and Ronnie Stanley were much better players and prospects than him.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sewell is going to be similar to Chase Young in how he dwarfs the prospects that have come before him.  He's on a different level and I think people are going to be comparing him to legendary prospects/players like Joe Thomas and Walter Jones and Orlando Pace rather than the Laremy Tunsils of draft history.  As a 19 year old true sophomore, he was comfortably better than all of the tackles that were in this very strong OT class.  He is a significantly better prospect than Tunsil was IMO.  Tunsil was overhyped and he hasn't come close to meeting the expectations people had for him.  It's pretty clear in hindsight that guys like Lane Johnson and Ronnie Stanley were much better players and prospects than him.

Unless Trevor Lawrence falls flat on his face, he's the #1 pick.  If Fields balls out, he could be #2, but I expect Sewell to be the prohibitive favorite for #2 overall.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Unless Trevor Lawrence falls flat on his face, he's the #1 pick.  If Fields balls out, he could be #2, but I expect Sewell to be the prohibitive favorite for #2 overall.

I think it all depends on who has the #1 pick, to be honest. If a team with a QB gets an injury or slips up, they’re likely going to take Penei. Even if they currently have an LT because I really think he comes in day 1 as a top 3-5 LT in the NFL. 

Too many variables to really project. If it’s Jacksonville? They may take Lawrence. The Skins? All depends. Green Bay? Sewell. Lots of different t scenarios.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not really seeing top five pick with Justin Fields yet.  He's going to need to show a huge amount of growth as a passer this season to get picked that high.  Until then he's still a one read passer who sees the field through a straw.

Yeah, maybe I jumped the gun.

I do think Lawrence is locked in as the #1 pick.   He's the most hyped QB since Luck IMO.  Sewell is obviously a top 5 lock as well.

Alarric Jackson. LT. Iowa.

This guy is also a real deal tackle. I am extremely impressed so far in my evaluations with this season's OL crew. 

I like Jackson better as a pass protector than I do as a run blocker. But he's solid in both areas of the game. He is really good at long seals inside in the run game. Gets his far shoulder pad across the target and then gets his hips around to wall very well. He can maul a little bit, too, in the run game. He has that hard hit pop when his guy is lined up correctly for him. But he gets much more grabby in the run game. He tries to use his powerful frame to set a tone with his blocks and at time it really forces him into some rough positions and he winds up losing his assignment. He's also not the cleanest blocker at the second level. He gets there fine, but finds himself looking around for work.

In pass pro he's extremely sticky. Looks to find work when nothing shows. Has controlled sets and anchors fairly well. Works his power and kick steps well.

He plays a much cleaner game against Wisconsin than he does against USC.

I definitely think he is a much better pass protector than run blocker. He could get good at the run blocking side, but he has some work to do. 

My Grade: 7.755

I continue to refine my grading system with each film viewing. But that grade puts him as a potential starter in the NFL. OT6 on my board thus far.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I love the draft as much as anyone else. But this is all a waste of time. We have no idea who is going to rise up the boards, get injured or anything else. Burrow wasnt even in the top 10 QB's last off season.

It’s not a waste of time. It’s a base evaluation. And good practice for film watching. 

You never have any idea who moves up the boards and who slides based on the next season. The combine is also a giant change. And the Senior Bowl. But you do get a good idea of the base of the class. 

No one is forcing you to read anything brother man :)

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s not a waste of time. It’s a base evaluation. And good practice for film watching. 

You never have any idea who moves up the boards and who slides based on the next season. The combine is also a giant change. And the Senior Bowl. But you do get a good idea of the base of the class. 

No one is forcing you to read anything brother man :)

True. Maybe I am just suffering with draft hangover. :) Carry on!

source: hogshaven

Where will the Redskins pick, and who/what position should they take next year?

NFL Draft Room

Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

Big, strong, can make all the throws and has proven it in big games. He’s a franchise changing talent.

Tankathon

Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

Round 2: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

The Athletic(Brugler)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

If Dwayne Haskins continues to struggle in Year 2, this pick could easily be another Ohio State quarterback. But if Haskins takes a step in the right direction, then continuing to build around him should be the goal, including at left tackle where Sewell can fill the shoes of the departed Trent Williams.

The Draft Network(Sikkema)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Penei Sewell is widely considered the best offensive tackle prospect in the 2021 class and a sure-fire top-five pick. He gave up just seven total pressure in 2019.

Sporting News(Iyer)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Trent Williams won’t be coming back to Washington after being trade to the 49ers during the 2020 draft. Here’s a rock of a replacement in the 6-6, 325-pound Sewell, who should remain in the top tier of tackles from the class.

Heavy(Somma)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

The Redskins finally moved on from Trent Williams, dealing him to San Francisco. If Dwayne Haskins, or Kyle Allen for that matter, prove to be the QB in DC, they will need protection. Sewell graded out as PFF’s third-ranked CFB player of 2019. He allowed a meager seven quarterback pressures on 491-passing block snaps.

NFL Spin Zone(Williams)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

I thought long and hard about giving the Washington Redskins a new quarterback, namely Justin Fields, with the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Yes, they took Dwayne Haskins in the 2019 first round but there is still very much a chance that he’s not the franchise guy. But he showed just enough promise and progression as a rookie for me to give him the benefit of the doubt — for now.

What is less certain for the Redskins, however, is the future of the offensive line. On Day 3 of the 2020 draft, Washington finally traded All-Pro-caliber offensive tackle Trent Williams to San Francisco in exchange for a fifth-rounder and a 2021 third-rounder. While they landed Saahdiq Charles in Round 4, they are not in a position to pass on a player like Penei Sewell.

If the Oregon left tackle had been eligible for this past draft, he would’ve been the first player at the position off of the board — which is saying something given the high-caliber players available. Sewell won the Outland Trophy as a true sophomore for the Ducks for the best lineman in college football and there was no debate about whether he was deserving.

At 6-6, 330 pounds with road-grading power, high-tier mobility and great hands, Sewell is the type of stalwart left tackle prospect that seems like a can’t-miss commodity. For as good as Williams was when healthy for Washington, Sewell might not just be a replacement but he might be a possible upgrade.

Cleveland.com(Goul)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

About Sewell: At 6-6 and 330 pounds, Sewell won the Outland Trophy last year as a sophomore and the country’s best lineman on either side of the football. He could be worth the No. 1 pick.

Washington in 2021: Trent Williams finally found a new home with Saturday’s trade to San Francisco. There could be more openings on Washington’s offensive line with Pro Bowl guard Brandon Scherff set to be an unrestricted free agent.

Game Haus(DiTullio)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

The Redskins just traded Trent Williams and need to protect Dwayne Haskins’ blindside. Sewell played so well in 2019 that some are calling him the best tackle prospect in years.

Bleacher Report(Miller)

WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU

The best-case scenario for the Redskins is that Dwayne Haskins develops into the quarterback they—and I—thought he could be coming out of Ohio State. To give him the best chance of developing into a high-level starter, the Redskins must give him legitimate weapons in addition to those already on the roster.

Ja’Marr Chase is one of the most explosive and naturally strong sophomore receivers you’re ever going to evaluate. The biggest question will be how he develops without Joe Burrow at quarterback and Joe Brady as an offensive assistant, but the raw talent he displayed this past season makes him an early watch-list top-three player.

Bleacher Report(Tansey)

Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Pro Football Network(Driscoll)

Patrick Surtain Jr., CB, Alabama

The Redskins will be thinking long and hard about Justin Fields with this pick, but instead, they grab a potential lock-down cornerback, which is something the team desperately lacks in 2020.

Round 2: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

Walter Football

Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson

Terry McLaurin has been incredible so far, but the Redskins could use a second receiver, or rather, a second No. 1 wideout.

Justyn Ross is a 6-4, 210-pound monster who catches everything. Alabama had no answer for him in the national championship.

Edited by zskins

Dylan Woonum. Junior. 6-5, 310.

Woonum is not the most overall athletic lineman I've evaluated so far in this class. But he does have a good, balanced kick step that gets him out to edge rushers. But his feet aren't very active, so while he finds himself in good initial position he manages to lose that positioning when the defensive lineman makes a move. That is also true in the run game.

He's more sticky versus the run than the pass and has some untapped potential on the table. He is a guy to watch for a big jump this upcoming season for sure. 

His balance is a little bit of an issue, especially when he punches. As he throws his hands his feet go in the air, thus losing his base and making him susceptible to counter moves. A good example of that punch is at 2:33 in the film above. He doesn't lose the matchup, it's a double team. But that punch is something you see when you watch enough of him. He does it earlier in the film as well, which causes him to lose and his back or quarterback winds up eating a helmet.

There is absolute potential here, though. His frame is big and powerful. When he runs his feet in the running game he can move a guy with authority. He's pretty good at recognizing cross stunts and blitzes. 

But again, I think my biggest gripe with him is that over emphasized punch that leads him into bad habits and bad positions.

My Grade: 6.8

• Like 1

If Haskins plays well enough for us not to prefer Trevor Lawrence, how many games do we win this year? I think too many to get Lawrence or Sewell, but I thought the same this year. We don't have much OL or any WR to speak of beyond McLaurin, or a TE, or coverage defenders in the secondary. Maybe we are a 5 win team if Haskins is moderately good?

Jordan Reid. RT. Michigan State. 6-4, 300. #55

Good technique. Stays in his base at all times and doesn't really overextend himself. He moves well and keeps himself between the ball and the defender. Good awareness in pass pro and is able to readjust and get himself in ideal position to give his offense a chance. Isn't a mauler. Doesn't have the frame to be much of one... But he's a good "shield" blocker who can make the most out of a situation. 

Not much available of him on YouTube, but having watched him a little live last season I think he followed the same pattern against the bigger schools. But I think his strength, power and burst are a bit of a concern at the next level against quicker and more agile defensive linemen. His stock will be increased or decreased almost entirely based on next season and what he's able to put on tape and at end of season events.

My Grade: 7.2

• Like 1

Great job so far @KDawg. I'm not sure how this coming year of CFB is going to play out, but it seems to me that having a strong base of 2019 evaluations will be needed to balance out any variance/uncertainty/volatility that might occur from having so much disruption from the virus this year. So, I'll be doing pretty much the same thing your doing now with all the prospects so I've got time to build that base and keep it in my back pocket while this coming year unfolds.

• Thanks 1

Andrew Steuber. Michigan. 6-7, 334. 

Another guy who generally does a nice job at using his body as a shield. Slow all in all, but for a guy that big he moves decently. Punch doesn't jolt defenders and with that much size he's built for a man blocking scheme moreso than a zone one. The punch is fairly important as a man scheme player.

But still, he gets in good starting position. He can struggle a bit with the outside speed rush at times, but he is a fairly consistent pass protector. He doesn't run his feet on contact nor does he keep his hands actively engaged once contact is initiated. He is probably a bit more technically refined and savvy than his teammate, Jalen Mayfield, but doesn't have the same potential upside. 

I think he is a quality candidate to become a guard at the next level, but I'll leave him listed as a tackle for the time being. 

My Grade: 6.4

William Sherman, 6-4, 310, RT. Underclassman.

Very, very, very raw. First thing off the bat is his body position is lacking. If you can't get in the right position at the start of a play all the talent in the world isn't going to save you. He plays with a high pad level that allows edge defenders to get a jump on him and beat him outside with their speed and allows him to get bull rushed backwards into the quarterback. 

I see a lot of potential in him, though. If he can play with a lower pad level, he has some strength and power. If he can get more technical with his footwork he can be a mauling blocker. As of now, I'm not high on his NFL potential, but I certainly see a scenario where he refines a few things and he shoots up the board.

My Grade:5.55

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

If Haskins plays well enough for us not to prefer Trevor Lawrence, how many games do we win this year? I think too many to get Lawrence or Sewell, but I thought the same this year. We don't have much OL or any WR to speak of beyond McLaurin, or a TE, or coverage defenders in the secondary. Maybe we are a 5 win team if Haskins is moderately good?

Five wins seems realistic.  I could see a situation where Haskins plays pretty well at an individual level, but we still only win a few games.

What I'm hoping for is that our chickens come home to roost on all this DL investment we've made, and that they carry us to the playoffs.  Then we wouldn't have questions about our QB, GM, or Coaching staff heading into next offseason.  Having the Rivera era get off to a fast start would be huge for a shaky organization like ours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Haskins performs well, but we still end up with the #2 overall pick, we could be facing a similar dilemma we faced this year.  Trade back and possibly miss out on Sewell, or take the best non-QB in the draft.  You'll still also likely get some of the fanbase wanting to replace Haskins. 

Like @stevemcqueen1, I'm also hoping a playoff run this year ensures that situation never comes to pass.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What I'm hoping for is that our chickens come home to roost on all this DL investment we've made, and that they carry us to the playoffs.  Then we wouldn't have questions about our QB, GM, or Coaching staff heading into next offseason.  Having the Rivera era get off to a fast start would be huge for a shaky organization like ours.

I agree that that would be ideal. It would mean our foundation is solid, but most importantly, probably that we have the right guy at QB. If we have the right guy at QB, this DL, and a WR1, that's all the nucleus you need for sustained success. You can get the other pieces. I'll add that if we are exciting and look good and have a QB, it will help us immensely in FA.

Dallas getting Lamb makes me wish we'd signed Cooper away from them. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:37 AM, clskinsfan said:

I love the draft as much as anyone else. But this is all a waste of time. We have no idea who is going to rise up the boards, get injured or anything else. Burrow wasnt even in the top 10 QB's last off season.

Actually it may be less of a waste of time this time around as chances of a 2020 college season happening continue to diminish.  So the players ranked as they are now will likely stay within that ballpark if that occurs (Only issue being is them entering the 2021 draft - the current top guys surely will declare for the draft, but those ranked lower probably won't - which is why I'd jump at every opportunity to trade our 2d-3rd round picks).