Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Kyle Smith's off season (free agency, re-signings, draft)

Burgold

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now, I can understand why TW rejected the Minnesota trade.

He was holding out until SF was on the table.

At least, a lot of things are pointing that direction

Yup. And KS and RR knew it and they took what they could and rid themselves of the whole thing.

I know RR is looking at this situation with Trent and SF as done with but do you think he might use this as some motivation when we play them during the regular season? Do you think there will be some animosity between some of our boys and Trent?

I'm really looking forward to that matchup to see where we stand. Cant wait to see Chase and Montez put Pretty Jimmy G on his ass via the left side!

Only wish we were playing them at home!

I don't see it being a revenge game. Revenge games rarely work when it's the front office that was screwed. I do wonder how 'skins players feel about Trent now and if their opinion has changed. They strongly backed him last year.

4 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think Kyle made a mistake not (seemingly) prioritizing OL help earlier. I still think our OT depth and starters are huge question marks across the board. The more pressing problem we need to consider is that the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants all had A grade drafts. This division is going to be nasty and ultracompetitive sooner than later. 

Given we did not have a 2nd round pick hands were tied to an extent. Which OT available in the 3rd round would you have taken? The only OT taken before we took Charles we could have had a shot at was Jones. But I don't know there is much between them. Jones was cleaner off field but Charles seems to be the more physically talented.

Jason Peters is still out there as a free agent if we wanted to go the older vet one year sticking plaster route again.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Given we did not have a 2nd round pick hands were tied to an extent. Which OT available in the 3rd round would you have taken? The only OT taken before we took Charles we could have had a shot at was Jones. But I don't know there is much between them. Jones was cleaner off field but Charles seems to be the more physically talented.

Jason Peters is still out there as a free agent if we wanted to go the older vet one year sticking plaster route again.

In the 4th I would have opted for Ben Bartch instead of Charles. Bartch IMO, and others I would add, feel that his pass blocking is already very good and thus likely the smarter pick IMO. You can make a case for the upside with Charles though. I like Bartch a lot and watched him stonewall elite DL in the Senior Bowl drills. I don't hate the pick. I just would have chosen differently.

59 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

In the 4th I would have opted for Ben Bartch instead of Charles. Bartch IMO, and others I would add, feel that his pass blocking is already very good and thus likely the smarter pick IMO. You can make a case for the upside with Charles though. I like Bartch a lot and watched him stonewall elite DL in the Senior Bowl drills. I don't hate the pick. I just would have chosen differently.

Bartch is a Guard at the Pro level.  Bartch unfortunately has short arms for an OT and small hands for OL in general.

Here's the Jags blog talking about their draft pick, they seem to think he's being shifted inside to Guard.

From googling around, it looks like most teams and draft analysts thought of him as a Guard.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, NYSkins21 said:

I can say one thing pretty confidently... Cowboy fans, Steelers fans, Eagles fans and Ravens fans are going to find it much harder than past years to purchase tickets at FedEx field.

Why, are they removing more seats?

I couldn't help myself. But I'm truthfully very excited to be able to root for this organization again in full-throated enthusiasm. It's finally time. 

27 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why, are they removing more seats?

I couldn't help myself. But I'm truthfully very excited to be able to root for this organization again in full-throated enthusiasm. It's finally time. 

Haha. Good stuff. A couple of months ago, this wouldn't have even been a joke, lol.

Archived