Burgold

Grading Kyle Smith's off season (free agency, re-signings, draft)

I can’t believe anyone is blaming Kyle for the Trent Williams crap.

stop it seriously.

blame Bruce ****ing Allen. Had that egomaniac piece of trash did the RIGHT THING FOR THE TEAM AND FRANCHISE LAST YEAR WE WOULDNT BE IN THIS SITUATION. You see, Bruce had to show Trent that Bruce can’t be screwed around. We could have gotten at least a 1st and a 2nd for Trent. But Bruce the **** wouldn’t even entertain the thought. He just wanted to screw trents year, even tho it cost the team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The Trent situation has been a mess. Kyle answered questions on that really well in the ‘quotes’ thread. More importantly, as he said it’s over, resolved, and we’re moving forward. We should all be thankful for that.

Regarding the OP, yeah I’m kind of mixed. Was underwhelmed in FA and to a degree was yesterday during day three. On balance though today, and catching up with the post draft interviews etc, I’m more encouraged. Its easy during FA and the draft as fans to get caught up in the hype of who we should sign/select etc. We all want the big fish. I’m as guilty as anyone for that.

I like the way RR and KS present themselves as a combination.

I’ll grade out at B- for now.

I’m interested to see how we move forward, if we look to add a little more in FA, curious on the Scherff and Kerrigan contracts, and wonder if we sitting on others teams potential cuts/roster changes post draft. I’m sure there’s a lot still to happen on roster management.

• Like 2

Me grading free agency and draft picks right after the draft ends...

giphy.gif

Me 9 months later...

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

Overview: Due to a top-ten offensive frenzy, the defense-desperate Saints stole near-consensus top corner Lattimore at No. 11. They got sniped late in round one as the 49ers leapfrogged New Orleans for Reuben Foster at No. 31. Drafting likely 2017 backup Ramczyk seemed like an ill-advised, panicked move with pass rushers Tyus Bowser and Malik McDowell on the board. At one point in the offseason, the Saints could have acquired Malcolm Butler for that 32nd pick, a move they absolutely should have made in hindsight. Whereas second-rounder Williams was a prospect I loved, non-productive, always-injured third-rounder Anzalone was the opposite. The Saints gave up their 2018 second-rounder to trade up for committee back Kamara. Back on a positive note, ultra-productive and ultra-athletic edge rusher Hendrickson was an awesome third-round compensatory pick. Muhammad has played football in just one of the last three years and is a probable throwaway. I have major mixed feelings on this draft, loving it in some areas and strongly disliking it in others. I do like that the Saints got a lot of upside on defense.

Grade: C+

here's a good day after draft grade from 2017.

too bad they wasted picks on Ramczyk and Kamara or I bet they would have gotten an A.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Until we see the product on the field, it's hard to give a grade.  I will admit that free agency didn't do much for me.  I wasn't inspired by the compensation from the trades.  The first four picks of the draft may be good.  I have no idea about the last four.

I feel like Rivera wants to assess what he has inherited his first year, which may explain their conservative approach in free agency.  I think next year Rivera will have a better idea of who to keep and who to let go based on his personal assessment.  The cap space will allow him to get some of the better players not to mention the organization will be seen in a more positive and respected light.

The Ron Rivera and Kyle Smith era will truly begin next year.  To date, I'll give them a grade of TBD.

5 hours ago, sportsnut said:

I like Kyle a lot.  But he got completely played by trent’s agent.  San Fran hid the fact that Staley was retiring until after we accepted the trade so we wouldn’t have more leverage.  They boldly passed on Wirfs at 13 because they were so confident we would eventually accept the trade.

I disagree for a very simple reason. Trent was never going to be traded to be a back up. Kyle knew that wherever he landed, he would be a starter. So, Kyle wasn't fooled. He wasn't played. He just got horrible value mainly because of how Trent and his agent screwed the Redskins and how Bruce Allen mishandled last year.

• Thanks 1

I’ll add an anecdote. I live in Charlotte, and a good friend of mine met Ron Rivera on day one here, as Rivera’s clothes didn’t make the trip, and he was forced to run by Men’s Warehouse to get a suit for his press conference. My friend does lots of business there, and happened to be there when Ron came in. 

They began chatting, my friend telling Ron that he was a big Skins fan, and what Ron thought about what he was inheriting in Carolina. Ron said, “I need soldiers. There’s always plenty of Lieutenants, what I need are soldiers.”

He went on to say that he needed guys that would do what is asked of them, regardless, and he’d weed out the remainder. 

Sounds a lot like what just took place in free agency here. Ron is going to instill his culture through the soldiers that he brings in, and he’ll find out who already on the roster is worth keeping. He plays the long game.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I can’t believe anyone is blaming Kyle for the Trent Williams crap.

stop it seriously.

blame Bruce ****ing Allen. Had that egomaniac piece of trash did the RIGHT THING FOR THE TEAM AND FRANCHISE LAST YEAR WE WOULDNT BE IN THIS SITUATION. You see, Bruce had to show Trent that Bruce can’t be screwed around. We could have gotten at least a 1st and a 2nd for Trent. But Bruce the **** wouldn’t even entertain the thought. He just wanted to screw trents year, even tho it cost the team 

At least partially true for sure but there was no excuse to trade him for what they got for him right now just because you are tired of answering questions and dealing with it. Heck I would of never traded him for the crap they got. What a crappy offseason for these guys.

I am really starting to see why Ron had a bunch of 6 and 7 win teams.  We will be 4-12 this year but hey we will have a ton of character.

Edited by Gibbs828791

I think there's definitely truth to the rumor that trent's agent was in cahoots with San Francisco and was the source of the trent didn't want to play for the vikings stuff.

Why else would all the reporters be saying that's what happened?

They had a contract deal already worked out with san Francisco that they liked and panicked when the rumors of a trade to the vikings came out.

Having said that I dont put that on kyle.

At this point it was time to move on and they got two reasonable picks for a guy who hasn't played a full season in forever or played a game in two years.

• Like 1

We maybe 4-12, I am thinking 5-11/6-10.

I think by the end of the season; we will be a better team, even if the record doesn’t show it.

The defense is going to be killer. If the  offense stalls; then it means neither Haskins or Allen is the answer.

This isn’t a one year rebuild . If we finish 4-12; that’s probably a Top 5 pick. We will be in position to grab some more players . 

I am sure Kyle or whoever will take advantage of that in 2021.

• Like 1

I think this is not the offseason to evaluate Smith. It feels like they are trying to clean house and bring in local guys to build a culture. I think this year is about establishing that culture and for Rivera to get a feel for the talent we have. Next off-season is way more interesting for me. We will have a ton of cap space and will see how Haskins has developed. That's the year to make some moves.

Might just be that next year will be the most difficult off-season of all time if there is no college football.

We'll see what happens. We're faster, so that's good. I'm excited about a lot of the coaching staff and FO. I think a lot of our coaches are going to be here for a while. I like that we have such pedigrees (Smith, Zampeze, Turner) and classic older coaches that have always had respect in RR and JDR. I think Smith is really good and should stick around and be able to build a consistent winner here. Definitely not flashy.

• Like 1

Ron and Kyle didn't have much of a hand to play this off-season. Not enough draft picks. Trent screwing over any trade leverage they had. Roster with apparent talent but having been badly utilized in recent years and thus tough to evaluate for weaknesses.

They obviously haven't done enough yet to fill the glaring weaknesses on offense, but I'm guessing they think more serviceable TEs will become available during preseason.

Posted (edited)

I guess the one category I forgot to put in, but that I would give them high scores in is cutting dead weight. Mind you, not all the players we removed were dead weight. Some were malcontents, but Rivera/Kyle did manage to cut, dismiss, or trade several often injured players as well as disgruntled players. Are we a better team without Norman, Reed, Davis, Dunbar, and Williams, etc? On paper, probably not. In the locker room and on the playing field... maybe not also, but in terms of the cap and player availability, I think the dismissals are a long term plus.

This year, for the first time, we ripped off the band aid instead of extending the contract.

Managing the hard decisions/cuts: B/B+

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2

I actually give Kyle Smith pretty high marks for how he has navigated this offseason. He not only had to weather a regime change, where he had to learn new personalities, ascertain new personnel philosophies, wait to see if he would be retained, and then learn of new added responsibilities, but he had to do this in an offseason mired in interruptions to the evaluation and communication process. Those observations aren't meant to excuse anything, but to give a picture of the amount of upheaval Kyle Smith (and all of Ron's new staff) just underwent. Sure, every team dealt with the same restrictions, but not every team was simultaneously undergoing a massive housecleaning that extended all the way from the president of football operations down to the last trainer on the medical staff. That's a potential disaster in waiting when combined with a nationwide lockdown in the first months. 

Instead, Kyle and Ron quickly seemed to get on the same page about everything from organizational structure to culture change to personnel philosophy. In a top heavy but shallow FA period they went hard after their top targets, and didn't resort to spending our cap on JAGS when those top targets understandably landed elsewhere. As a result, they have us positioned to be among the league leaders in cap space next year, when a new identity and an improved record may make this a much more desirable landing spot for a far better Free Agent class. When's the last time any of that could be said around here? Meanwhile they added solid depth across the board with some tone setters, and some high upside breakout potential signings.

As for the draft, they went in handcuffed by a lack of picks, most glaringly the lack of an early 2nd rounder, which guaranteed us going 64 spots between picks. Yet, they wisely avoided the temptation to trade back from #2 and add quantity instead of the best defender in recent draft history. They then used their limited arsenal to select versatile and/or dynamic playmakers and new OL that fit their likely switch to ZBS. 

I'm excited about what the results will look like on the field with the addition of new talent, and much better depth, to a more well-coached team. And I'm even more excited to see what Kyle and Ron can do with a full season under their belts, a new system installed, a year of player evaluation done, masses of cap space, and a full assortment of draft picks for 2021!

I give Kyle a solid: B+ with an expectation of an even better grade next year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

If you’re using ESPN for a standard good luck. And if you believe the team is cursed because they have the name Redskins I just don’t know what to tell you. It’s the same name that they had when they went to 5 Super Bowls.

That was before all these movements your comparing these times to the 80s and 90s.

Really feels like the FA this year was stop gap guys who will set a tone and build the culture. Next year I think with the culture in place is the year we push for talent with a bunch of cap space. I’ll judge Kyle that year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't fault Kyle for what happened in FA. Free agency should be the final pieces for a team that can take you over the hump.... Not the foundational pieces of your football team (something we've never seemed to grasp).

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Did Smith reveal any offers to trade the #2 pick? 

The only one I heard about was Atlanta, and they were at #16.  To drop from #2 to #16...I mean, we're talking something along the lines of the Saints giving away their entire draft at that point, right?  Probably in addition to a #1 next year.

And I would have done it for the change to get Sunshine from Clemson next year :)

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't fault Kyle for what happened in FA. Free agency should be the final pieces for a team that can take you over the hump.... Not the foundational pieces of your football team (something we've never seemed to grasp).

As well as a way to fill out your roster pre-draft...which is what we did of course.  

Can't grade a draft class when none of the players have played a single snap.

Reg. FA, we made typical rebuilding team moves. Got some cheap veterans to plug some holes. I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Did Smith reveal any offers to trade the #2 pick? 

I can’t find the link but I recall reading that Atlanta offered their first round picks in 2021 and 2022 as well as pick 16 this year plus one additional pick this year.