Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Kyle Smith's off season (free agency, re-signings, draft)

Cleaning up someone else's mess is never easy.  I chalk Trent up to Allen.  Dunbar was selfish.  It was time for Norman to go.  None of the other losses were his fault.  Flowers is good but not for the money he signed for.

For me this is a true reset without having inept football people in charge and without any real cancers in the locker room.   This year will be about attitude and motivation.  I hope the o-line coach can make chicken salad and the LT rotation pans out.  Free agency TE is a real need though, imo.

I give Kyle a solid B.  We picked up speed and good character guys.  Workers. 

Saahdiq (sp) from LSU is my only concern, but we have a head coach who will deal with any personality/free time follies.

It's going to be an interesting season.

Hail!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think that all of his moves have been very Steady Eddie.

We lost some value on TW and Dunbar, and while we probably overpaid a little for Kyle Allen, I think it was a solid signing. The FA's in general all seem like good depth.

I'm not really qualified to judge the draft picks, but Chase Young was a no-brainer and I can't wait to see him on the field.

Apart from that first pick, I haven't been excited or disappointed by anyone else, although I was surprised that we didn't snag a blocking TE and I'm not sure about the undersized LB/S tweener.

All in all, no major ****-ups, so I suppose a C+/B- and I think he gets the gig.

Edited by London Kev

Horrible job, first of all trying to overpay for Amari Cooper what were they thinking he would of never been accepted here.  You already have a #1 WR.  Thank god he didn’t come here.  

What they got for Trent Williams was a joke of picks cause they continue to throw them away with every bonehead deal they make.  

No TE in a TE dominant league.  What are they waiting for?  Wasn’t Kelce and Kittle in the Super Bowl? 

We are cursed until we change our name the NFL will never allow us to play in the big game.  They don’t even allow our name to be said on Sportscenter.  I’m no tree hugger but damn wake up.  

Edited by wtfskins
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Grade: Incomplete. Too early to tell on the draft and we have no idea if any of the free agent signings will work. Mostly, outside of say Fuller, the free agent acquisitions were pretty low risk. So at least no real albatross contracts have been acquired.

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Kyle was promoted a few months ago.

He's safe.

He can be unpromoted or have those responsibilities given to a GM hire.

Ton will decide what will happen. He was probably given that title/promotion; so he wouldn’t leave. Ron will decide if he still wants Kyle.

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

I was surprised that we didn't snag a blocking TE 

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/draft-targets-thaddeus-moss

Blocking

- Moss is an excellent blocker. He is one of the better blocking tight ends in this class. The idea of having Moss and James Develin blocking together might not be the same as Gronk and Develin, but it would still be very good. 

- Moss is strong at the point of attack, has great lateral agility and can be a phenomenal lead blocker at the next level. He blocks like a fullback, however, his size and receiving ability makes him a tight end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

Horrible job, first of all trying to overpay for Amari Cooper what were they thinking he would of never been accepted here.  You already have a #1 WR.  Thank god he didn’t come here.  

What they got for Trent Williams was a joke of picks cause they continue to throw them away with every bonehead deal they make.  

No TE in a TE dominant league.  What are they waiting for?  Wasn’t Kelce and Kittle in the Super Bowl? 

We are cursed until we change our name the NFL will never allow us to play in the big game.  They don’t even allow our name to be said on Sportscenter.  I’m no tree hugger but damn wake up.  

If you’re using ESPN for a standard good luck. And if you believe the team is cursed because they have the name Redskins I just don’t know what to tell you. It’s the same name that they had when they went to 5 Super Bowls.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I think he’s doing a good job thus far.  No need to throw money in free agency around trying to patch together a win now team coming off of a 3-13 season.  Recipe for disaster.  I like his approach to building through the draft.  Didn’t panic and do anything crazy trying to recoup the 2nd rounder that was dealt last season.  Stood his ground and still got a future 3rd for Trent Williams.  Considering the fact that Williams missed all of last season and never stays fully healthy, good chance the Skins look good at the end of next season going into the draft with the 9ers 3rd rounder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Washington Redskins

Draft picks: Ohio State edge rusher Chase Young (No. 2 overall), Memphis RB Antonio Gibson (No. 66), LSU OT Saahdiq Charles (No. 108), Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden (No. 142), San Diego State C Keith Ismael (No. 156), Michigan LB Khaleke Hudson (No. 162), Arkansas S Kamren Curl (No. 216), N.C. State DE James Smith-Williams (No. 229)
Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: Washington decided to pick the draft's best defender in Young instead of an uber-talented quarterback in Tua Tagovailoa. The progress of last year's first-round pick, Dwayne Haskins, will determine whether the franchise ultimately made the right choice. Gibson, an all-purpose threat out of Memphis, may remind coach Ron Rivera of a mid-round version of his former player with the Panthers, Christian McCaffrey.

The team lacked leverage in their stand-off with Pro Bowl left tackle Trent Williams, and thus will have to settle for the 2020 fifth-rounder (Ismael at No. 156 overall) and 2021 third-rounder they received from the 49ers. They selected Charles to fill Williams' big shoes -- and he has the potential to do so based on his athleticism. But he'll have to prevent the disciplinary issues that plagued him at LSU from following him to the NFL. Gandy-Golden's big body could be a problem for NFL cornerbacks down the field. Ismael, who could play guard or center for Washington, is a solid pick who will play for a long time. Hudson will provide depth in the secondary or at linebacker and should be a special teams demon. Edge rusher Smith-Williams could have been picked much earlier, so he's a relative bargain in the seventh round.

All teams graded by NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111711/article/2020-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

• Like 6

Here are some of the early grades from different media sources.  The lack of a 2nd round pick makes it tough when you're trying to fill as many holes as we have but if Sweat develops then we got the value for trade.

I can't wait to see some of these guys in action, especially Young.

Draft Grades

PFF - B
USA Today - B
SB Nation - B+
Sporting News - B-
SI - B+
Walter Football - B
Bleacher Report - B

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This year will be installing a new culture and finding out who’s Ron guys are.

Hopefully, Ron likes Bentleys! I had to do it... sorry.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Here are some of the early grades from different media sources.  The lack of a 2nd round pick makes it tough when you're trying to fill as many holes as we have but if Sweat develops then we got the value for trade.

I can't wait to see some of these guys in action, especially Young.

Draft Grades

PFF - B
USA Today - B
SB Nation - B+
Sporting News - B-
SI - B+
Walter Football - B
Bleacher Report - B

That sort of jibes with my uneducated-feeling. A solid job, a good job, but not a hit it out of the park, job.

I obviously am excited about Young. Gibson has that Swiss army knife home run potential. I think my mancrush on last year's electric udfa slot receiver Simms dilutes my love for the Gibson pick, because it's been too long since we had a UDFA turn into a great player and Simms flashed greatness (as well as concerns with his hands). Charles seems to have owned his mistakes in a real adult way. Hopefully, Rivera has the structure to make him realize his potential. In a weird way, I like that he is a follower type and not a leader type (as long as he latches on to Rivera as his leader that is). The others? I don't know anything about so I'm in wait and see mode. Heck, if I'm honest, I don't know anything about Gibson or Charles either.

It may be fair to include Sweat's progression in this draft class. He got a mixed grade last year, but I blame a lot of that on misuse and just a really bad coaching situation.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

I like Kyle a lot.  But he got completely played by trent’s agent.  San Fran hid the fact that Staley was retiring until after we accepted the trade so we wouldn’t have more leverage.  They boldly passed on Wirfs at 13 because they were so confident we would eventually accept the trade.  And they didn’t even up their offer as the first three rounds passed, probably because other potential trade partners kept drafting tackles.  They must’ve panicked when we got close to a trade with Minnesota, but trent’s agent saved them by publicly saying that Trent doesn’t want to play for Minnesota, thus nixing the better deal.  Trent’s agent denied this but Rapoport confirmed it and said that he was lying.  The bottom line is that Kyle let trent’s agent orchestrate the trade negotiations and deny particular trades so Trent would end up in San Fran even though Minnesota offered a better deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-joe-staleys-final-selfless-act-his-49ers-career-went-down

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29097412/redskins-ot-trent-williams-denies-nixing-potential-trade-vikings

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ian-rapoport-trent-williams-vikings-report-agent-statement-false-01e6s5tg8xp3

• Like 1

To be honest @sportsnut, there isn't a damn thing Kyle could have done in that scenario. We had no other offers on the table after the Minnesota deal fell through. I'm just happy we got a 2021 3rd round pick as well, we received more in compensation from the 49ers than we would have had we played Trent this year and let him walk. If it was just a 5th I'd be irritated but an extra 3rd next year is going to be nice. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

I’ll point out that it’s not like Kyle had the reins exactly - he put the board together with the scouts, and then Ron and the other coaches went through all of the players with Kyle to finalize it.  I’m not trying to minimize his role, that collaboration is normal, but he was basically auditioning for the GM title. 

With that out of the way... I thought the draft was a bit of a head scratcher.  After Young, you can make an argument either way for these prospects.  Is Gibson a missing piece, or was he over drafted?  Is Charles’ talent worth the baggage?  Will AGG be able to separate from dbs, or will he just catch the ball over them consistently?  And so on.  So much of it is predicated on 1) team fit, and 2) deciding whether to trust draft ‘experts’ or the scouting/coaching staff.  

FA was... mild.  But again, you can argue it either way - culture, depth, filling holes with mostly ‘bridge’ type players vs a lack of talented, long term starters added.  

I honestly don’t know what to think about Kyle.  I will say that overall, it’s good that we’re changing things up.  A hard-nosed coach that players respect, collaboration in the FO, a legitimate DC, a nice blend of youth and vets, and what appears to be a thought out process for the franchise as a whole.  Might not work, but I’m happy to give it a go. 

• Like 1

I am not sure what anyone could do in the TW situation if they were starting off from this year following the Bruce Allen stubbornness. 

I think Williams and his agent only had one destination in mind and nixed trades to the Vikings and Tampa .. 

Williams is possibly a HOF prospect based on talent but his immaturity over this, his drug suspensions have probably put paid to that 

2 hours ago, sportsnut said:

I like Kyle a lot.  But he got completely played by trent’s agent.  San Fran hid the fact that Staley was retiring until after we accepted the trade so we wouldn’t have more leverage.  They boldly passed on Wirfs at 13 because they were so confident we would eventually accept the trade.  And they didn’t even up their offer as the first three rounds passed, probably because other potential trade partners kept drafting tackles.  They must’ve panicked when we got close to a trade with Minnesota, but trent’s agent saved them by publicly saying that Trent doesn’t want to play for Minnesota, thus nixing the better deal.  Trent’s agent denied this but Rapoport confirmed it and said that he was lying.  The bottom line is that Kyle let trent’s agent orchestrate the trade negotiations and deny particular trades so Trent would end up in San Fran even though Minnesota offered a better deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-joe-staleys-final-selfless-act-his-49ers-career-went-down

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29097412/redskins-ot-trent-williams-denies-nixing-potential-trade-vikings

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ian-rapoport-trent-williams-vikings-report-agent-statement-false-01e6s5tg8xp3

There is more info here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29099733/49ers-trent-williams-no-rush-extension-gm-john-lynch-says

At the end of the day like Kyle said he is glad it is over and doesn't want to talk about it anymore. Sometimes you just have to let it go and just be done with it. 

• Like 2

To be honest, everyone knows that we failed on the Trent Williams' saga last year. There was really not much to gain this year.

I'll give credit for Kyle Smith completing this and won't blame him on the result because he was given a pretty ****ing ****ty hand from his malignent predecessor...

As @zskins said, it's time to let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was common knowledge to the point where TB gave SF a 4th just so they could draft Wirfs instead of them.

i think all of this “kyle played us like a fiddle” shtick is blown out of proportion. Teams weren’t giving up picks, OL fell to all of them and SF bided their time. A perfect storm for them but let’s not act like they orchestrated the whole thing.

• Thanks 1