Sign in to follow this  
zskins

Welcome to the Redskins Khaleke Hudson, OLB Michigan

His Sophomore year stats were outrageously good:  82 tackles, 18 for loss, 8 sacks, 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, 9 PBUs, and 4 QB hurries.  Looks like he might have had a down season his junior year, but bounced back with a good season as a Senior.

Highly productive and athletic, has an interesting versatility in his skill set, and possesses the intangible quality of resilience.  I didn't watch much of his play before the draft, but he has become one of my favorite picks that we made.  I'm hoping he finds a home here with the Redskins.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fantastic post Fresh.  I think I needed some selling on this pick, and you've done it.  I didn't know about his background, that is a wrenching tragedy to have to go through at such a tough age.  I'm rooting hard for him too.  Amazing what some of these guys have overcome to achieve so much excellence.  Welcome to the Redskins Khaleke Hudson, you've got another fan.

In terms of his skill set and role for us, I think you hit the nail on the head Fresh.  1 - Chase and hit box defender whose going to be running alleys and finishing plays.  2 - blitzing.  3 - playing a variety of zones, deep and underneath.  4 - man coverage on specific match ups.  5 - kick coverage and field goal block teams.

I think he'll probably play mainly on ST his rookie year unless we have a camp and he just runs away with a job like McLaurin did.  But he'll be an injury sub if Landon Collins gets hurt.  Looks like his recognition skills are really good and he is clearly a very good athlete.  I'm thinking he was selected to play a similar role to what Shaq Thompson has done for Carolina.

He reminds me of a hybrid between Jabrill Peppers and Tyrann Mathieu. Only in a bigger body. He doesnt run as fast or cover quite as well as either of them but he is stronger and nastier than both.

• Like 2

Thanks @stevemcqueen1, I appreciate it and love the way you laid out his role and pathway to success. Like you, I was a little underwhelmed by some of our picks at first. I had guys graded higher still available, but as I dig through each selection and put the pieces together, I get a sense of what they're trying to put together and the logic behind it. I'm excited about the potential for team-wide synergy, but I'm still in wait and see mode on how they thread the needle between picking for both schematic fit and overall capability. I tell myself often, evaluating what you see presently and projecting for fit and growth that trends in those fit directions are two distinctly different skill-sets. Often guys will outsmart themselves on the 2nd part and make picks that are truly head-scratchers, but the ones who do it right, seem to create opportunities for guys to realize potential no-one else saw. I have no idea how often our FO will be the former or the latter, but at least we can see a pathway for a chance at becoming that second kind of team. 

For those wondering about the make-up and maturity of Khaleke Hudson, I highly recommend checking this out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I think Curl will actually get a shot at filling a role more like Mathieu does. Slot CB/box S depending on the matchup. Hudson seems like he will/could fill the role that JHC was drafted for. Dime backer/box S/blitz threat. Maybe he has deep half responsibilities out of a disguised look but not sure I'd want him single high very often. I'm very excited to see what he can do though...and his ST ability will almost guarantee he makes the 53 even if he needs some time to get up to speed. 

• Like 1

Huds is a smart smart player that will probably be the captain of our special teams for his first year while not playing a ton on defense. His smarts sometimes take away from his aggressiveness but that’s a teachable trait, especially with Landon and Thomas Davis there. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

@Skinsinparadise do you see anything in his game that shows he could play weak side LB in the mode of Telvin Smith? Just run fast and tackle RBs and hope the DL can keep OLmen off him? I'd suppose he might be a liability in coverage though?

Don't know yet to form an opinion. I knew Hudson's name and actually ironically I did watch a Michigan game live but paid no attention to him.    This week I'll watch him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

@Skinsinparadise do you see anything in his game that shows he could play weak side LB in the mode of Telvin Smith? Just run fast and tackle RBs and hope the DL can keep OLmen off him? I'd suppose he might be a liability in coverage though?

I just watched a game, the Iowa one.  I'll watch more.  But judging that game alone i am with @volsmet.  He looks to be a good player.  He reminds me stylistically of how Jeremy Chinn plays.  If he was on Chinn's level athletically, he I think would have the same type of buzz.

They moved him around though he played mostly near the line of scrimmage.  He was on the TE quite a bit.   He's my kind of linebacker for three reasons:  A. he's ball of energy and has a bit of a mean streak about his play.  B.  He can rush the QB.   C.  He can cover.  In those ways he reminds of Patrick Queen though I like Queen more.

He has Chinn's weakness too IMO in that he plays so frenetic that sometimes he over pursues and miss tackles.  He's not a natural pass rusher but he comes out of his stance so fast and cames at you like a bullet somewhat like Uche that at a minimum he threats the LT and QB were he's a handful to deal with.  They rush him from both sides. 

I think he's just as some describe a tweener, Simmons swiss army knife type.  Simmons though has the size and speed to hold up on very down, I am not sure about Hudson on that front.  Though Hudson plays with such verve that he comes off faster than his time at the combine.  if I had to pick on his weakness it would be that albeit he is not shy about getting phyiscal as a tackler, he can can pushed around by bigger dudes.

But on the aggregate he's such a ball of energy, who can handle TE's and can blitz-rush the passer -- that he might be the perfect complement to our LB crew.  I don't think any of our current linebackers are good pass rushers and serious threats when you do double A gap blitzes or rush from the edge -- this dude I think can fill that role.  I am not sure if I agree with PFF as for the comp to Sean Dion-Hamilton. 

He's #7.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

That's great costumer service. Thanks for the assessment. 

I'll get to more games.  But he is a really fun watch, he's a ball of energy, relentless.   Comes off at least on the field as a dude who loves football -- I am guessing that since I figure it's not easy to play just about every down like your hair is on fire but that's how I'd describe his style.  He's not the perfect player by any stretch.  But among the players I watched for this draft (and I watched a ton but not Hudson among them until today) he's one of the most energetic players I've watched.  As to his play, he's a bit different from Chinn.  But he reminds me of him stylistically as to going full blast on every play. 

• Like 1

I hope they move him to weak side linebacker reminds me of Shaq Thompson. After Chase I believe this guy was our best pick. 

Obviously I hope he works out but I’m concerned about his role. He’s too small to play near the line unless its as a in box safety. Offensive lineman will eat him up if he plays as an outside backer. I see him as a back up for Landon and a replacement of Deshazor. 

Even in high school the kid just looks like he's seeking out people to hit.  LOL

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I see him as a back up for Landon and a replacement of Deshazor. 

I agree that is probably the most likely outcome, but it's also probably his floor too.  Maybe he could develop into a chess piece on defense in addition to a specials teams stud.  I'm excited to see how they use him.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know yet to form an opinion. I knew Hudson's name and actually ironically I did watch a Michigan game live but paid no attention to him.    This week I'll watch him. 

Check out the Minnesota game from his sophomore year.  It's the game of a lifetime:

• Like 1

He is an extremely bouncy and explosive athlete.  Fluid hips, elite click and close speed.  Fits so hard and plays gap to gap.  Breaks down quickly and explodes into his tackles.

He's good.  Obviously he's not really built to be stacking and shedding all game in the tackle box.  But in the right role, he's a playmaker.  I see him as an overhang defender and weakside chase and hit linebacker and blitzer as well as special teams stud.  We have an awesome defensive line, he can thrive here.

• Like 3

You guys really have me excited about this pick. Seems like he can be to the defense, what Gibson will be to the offense.