Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Keith Ismael, C San Diego State

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Technique, which can best be summed up in the word "anchoring"

Thanks.

Realistically, do you think learning how to anchor is coachable given his age? I would think that by the time someone leaves the college ranks, a fundamental OL skillset like that is more or less set in stone.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Thanks.

Realistically, do you think learning how to anchor is coachable given his age? I would think that by the time someone leaves the college ranks, a fundamental OL skillset like that is more or less set in stone.

Absolutely coachable.

The phrase was originally dubbed by Mike Mayock, specifically regarding where a college prospect needs to improve, to get to the next level

His original translation was an undersized lineman that possesses toughness, but needs to add bulk and strength, to better 'anchor' his body.

So, it's not just adding weight, but knowing how to effectively use it.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe it's not necessarily a sign that they want to replace Roullier.

This guy could be just depth. To my knowledge, we don't currently have a decent backup at Center.

Pierschbacher.  Drafted round 5 last year.  4-year starter at Alabama.  Not sure if he impressed in his rookie year, though.  I'm guessing not and they value Ismael more.  We will find out.

33 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Pierschbacher.  Drafted round 5 last year.  4-year starter at Alabama.  Not sure if he impressed in his rookie year, though.  I'm guessing not and they value Ismael more.  We will find out.

Yea I remembered him. But I heard multiple reports that he was a disappointment, or not in the plans. But it wasn't from a solid source, so who knows.

44 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I dont think Pierschbacher even played last year. So how could Rivera decide on how much he does or does not like him? I think this pick was more about depth and a potential replacement for Roullier or as Pierschbachers backup. It also allows them to carry one less guard as he can play there too.

I suspect they'll both be in competition. If Pierschbacher blows Ismael away then he gets the gig and they won't feel bad about losing a relatively low draft pick. On the other hand, if Martin is the starter at guard. We may need both Pierschbacher and Ismael on the team. Who else do we have for back up guard on the roster?

In an ideal situation, you Center can be a backup, Guard, and vice versa.

So maybe they want to see which players are more versatile, besides whether they can start, when it comes to Piers, Ismael. and Roulli

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Who else do we have for back up guard on the roster?

the 2 FA's - Schweitzer and Vujnovich

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Thanks.

Yeah, you can improve technique.  Pass protection technique is really complex and difficult.  You can master various new parts of it once you're in the league.  Mastering and executing technique is tough in game and reps make it workable.

But it's also about getting stronger.  Ismael is going to build his body up and get his NFL strength over the next few years

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe it's not necessarily a sign that they want to replace Roullier.

This guy could be just depth. To my knowledge, we don't currently have a decent backup at Center.

No depth at all there heading into draft.  Bergstrom played the role last year.  

Imo, backup IOL was the one area where we didn't have anybody solid, or anyone with upside.  Going into the draft, I felt all the other position battles will have a guy who can contribute now, or is someone I wouldn't want to give up on just yet, who is on the outside looking in.  Such as orchard/Anderson, JHC, Danny Johnson, cam sims, etc.  But interior oline was pretty barren, so getting a guy who is versatile to play both, even if he is not expected to be a starter for a year or two, is well worth a 5th round pick. 

I hate when backup OL is composed of an exclusive center and exclusive guards.  Having guys who can play both really helps the final roster, especially as the new coaching staff values versatility and Swiss army knife types.  And with a new coaching staff, there is kind of a sorting out process to actually see if some of these other guys can fulfill the role they had envisioned, so being able to keep an extra one of those guys to make that determination helps.  A guy like Nick Harris, who is a center only prospect, would not provide that type of roster flexibility.  So even though Nick Harris was rated higher on a lot of draft boards, I like taking Ismael instead considering he is a depth piece for now and can allow us to see what we have in some of the other guys we brought in. 

19 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, you can improve technique.  Pass protection technique is really complex and difficult.  You can master various new parts of it once you're in the league.  Mastering and executing technique is tough in game and reps make it workable.

But it's also about getting stronger.  Ismael is going to build his body up and get his NFL strength over the next few years

Sounds like Charles may have the opportunity to do this as well (particularly the second part given how young he is coming into the league).

47 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Sounds like Charles may have the opportunity to do this as well (particularly the second part given how young he is coming into the league).

Agreed.  The most consistent pre-draft complaint about Charles's skill set was his lack of functional power.  He's a little smaller than the typical offensive tackle (good sized for a guard), and I think his legs look a little slender and that there is definite room for growth and strength training with him.  He'll probably need a redshirt season too in order to build up his body for the league, and develop his pass protection technique.  It's going to be hard for rookie to develop this spring and summer though.  That seems like the best time for training new skills, and the lack of a regular offseason is going to hurt these guys.

We're not going to look for a total transformation from Charles or Ismael though.  It's clear that both of them are ZBS-style linemen, and it's a good bet that we'll be installing an outside zone heavy offense for next season.  Their development path is typical for young linemen, and their goals should be obtainable.  You're right that Charles's age suggest there is a lot of room for growth with him, physically, and from a technique standpoint.  He's a bit unusual in that he's actually got quite a bit of collegiate and big game experience for a three year player who missed so much time due to suspension.  We have a pretty good picture of who he is as a player, and what he needs to do to become a starter.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Can’t see Roullier getting a significant long term extension here next year. Unless he totally excels this season. Ismael has a very good chance to win a starting job here.

What make you think this?

Although I liked how this position was addressed this was the only pick I just didn't like, underwhelming would be my word as well.  I loved the Piersbacher pick but it doesn't look that that's going to work, it happens with mid round picks and this could be another one.  Most of us like Roulier, for me it's because he is clearly better than the centers they have had.  But they could still do better, Hell I'm still upset the Colts snagged our target Ryan Kelly. I really wanted that guy on draft day, instead we ended up with, well......

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Although I liked how this position was addressed this was the only pick I just didn't like, underwhelming would be my word as well.  I loved the Piersbacher pick but it doesn't look that that's going to work, it happens with mid round picks and this could be another one.  Most of us like Roulier, for me it's because he is clearly better than the centers they have had.

I liked the Piersbacher pick as well. 

At worst it’s all healthy competition. The Pukes got praise for picking their centre before us, yet some places had Ismael ranked higher. Who the hell knows.

Cant say I can judge the quality of this guy. Time will tell. 

Feels like OL could need an influx of premier talent over the next couple of years though. Hopefully a couple of existing roster players breakout this year.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I liked the Piersbacher pick as well. 

At worst it’s all healthy competition. The Pukes got praise for picking their centre before us, yet some places had Ismael ranked higher. Who the hell knows.

Cant say I can judge the quality of this guy. Time will tell. 

Feels like OL could need an influx of premier talent over the next couple of years though. Hopefully a couple of existing roster players breakout this year.

Receiver is obviously still an issue but the OL is a much bigger concern for me. They will have an unproven rookie, a journeyman who had 1/2 a good season or Christian who simply can't play at LT, LG is a 2nd year guy who played pretty well but he's also unproven, the center is good but nothing special, i think we can all agree that Scherff didn't play at a Pro Bowl level last year and of course Moses is Moses.   And these are the starters, there is very little proven depth.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Receiver is obviously still an issue but the OL is a much bigger concern for me. They will have an unproven rookie, a journeyman who had 1/2 a good season or Christian who simply can't play at LT, LG is a 2nd year guy who played pretty well but he's also unproven, the center is good but nothing special, i think we can all agree that Scherff didn't play at a Pro Bowl level last year and of course Moses is Moses.   And these are the starters, there is very little proven depth.  

YeP OL an issue for me. Lucas looks a solid swing tackle. Martin has the makings at guard, solid behind Scherff anyway. I don’t rate Moses at all. Lucas might win that job yet. Charles has great potential. Still only 20. I’d be signing a vet LT personally.

Then invest highly in OL next couple of seasons. No point Haskins getting hammered week in week out. 

As for this guy, you never know. We let Reiter move on and look how that worked out for him. Day 2/3 players can contribute to a high level. 

Lots of unknowns right now.

Archived