Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Gronk To Bucs Mean Howard Is Expendable?

Does anyone think the Buccaneers are going to get rid of Howard now since they have 3 tight ends now? I'd be willing to give up a 3rd or a straight up Trent Williams trade for him.

I'm just learning this Gronk news. I can't believe it. I saw him interviewed and he said he walked away for his health, it took him months for his head to clear. I thought it sure is good to hear players doing this and taking care of themselves. Now he's going back for more head smashes?  :(

5 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Starting to think we’re not getting crap for TW after seeing what NE got for Gronk

There's definitely truth to this.  A lot can change in 2 years...

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Starting to think we’re not getting crap for TW after seeing what NE got for Gronk

Gronk was retired for two years after considerable decline in his last season. Injuries or skill decline. It was noticable.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for making a thread about this. I would have missed it completely in every other single thread here.

But yes, the player who was already on the trade block of the team that just traded for a player of the same position, is probably even more on the block or whatever.

• Haha 8
15 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

The two aren't at all related. Gronk's value was what it was because he would only play for TB and New England couldn't afford to keep him under the cap anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Howard?

Yeah. 

I liked him pre-draft, but feel like he should've done more in pass happy trash yardage tampa. Instead he got passed up by an udfa. 

That could very well not be he his fault and frankly I haven't done a ton of research on it, but I'm guessing Tampa is going to want a lot more than what I am comfortable giving. 

24 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The two aren't at all related. Gronk's value was what it was because he would only play for TB and New England couldn't afford to keep him under the cap anyway.

Exactly, new englands choices were:

1. have gronk not play for us

Or

2. Turn a 7th rounder into a 4th rounder

No brainer for both sides.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thanks for making a thread about this. I would have missed it completely in every other single thread here.

But yes, the player who was already on the trade block of the team that just traded for a player of the same position, is probably even more on the block or whatever.

Profootballtalk.com...ever go there?

1 hour ago, MarkMissoula said:

How did you get there? Gronk 30yo TE missed all of last year, almost 20 something games over the last  3 "healthy" years, got a 4th . Trent plays LT, a premium position. He's worth a 2nd and change easily. Are we going to get that? Probably not and that I think is the games perception of the Redskins front office.

Edited by Riggodrill44
got info wrong
50 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I heard TB wants to experiment running an 04 personnel so i expect they’re in the market to grab another TE. Maybe Njoku or Bring back Ben Coates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm just learning this Gronk news. I can't believe it. I saw him interviewed and he said he walked away for his health, it took him months for his head to clear. I thought it sure is good to hear players doing this and taking care of themselves. Now he's going back for more head smashes?  :(

And it was reported he had 20 concussions. I was watching him being interviewed and his girlfriend kept having to keep him on track, and she had to say twice - "that is not what she is asking you".   I am with you.  I am actually sad to hear this. I was hoping he would find something to be his adrenaline fix going forward.  

Anyway back to one point here.  I think the Bucks bringing in Gronk wind up with an excellent tight end set providing numerous options for Brady, including some protection on the line if need be. I would keep the TE they have and of course you bring in Gronk.  I remember the Patriots when they had Hernandez and Gronk - it can be powerful with right duet. 

5 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

How did you get there? Gronk 30yo TE missed all of last year, almost 20 something games over the last  3 "healthy" years, got a 4th . Trent plays LT, a premium position. He's worth a 2nd and change easily. Are we going to get that? Probably not and that I think is the games perception of the Redskins front office.

Williams will be 32 before preseason starts, missed all last year sitting out as a malcontent, making it 29 games missed in the last 4 seasons, and hasn't played a full season in seven years.  On top of that, he has a complete idiot for an agent, and they both completely overvalue his worth and, between that and his antics over the past few months, have turned several teams off.  This is also a draft filled with OL talent. His market is not better than Gronk's.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Williams will be 32 before preseason starts, missed all last year sitting out as a malcontent, making it 29 games missed in the last 4 seasons, and hasn't played a full season in seven years.  On top of that, he has a complete idiot for an agent, and they both completely overvalue his worth and, between that and his antics over the past few months, have turned several teams off.  This is also a draft filled with OL talent. His market is not better than Gronk's.

His market could easily end up better than Gronk's because there was only one team he would come out of retirement to play for, the leverage was gone essentially. If he had come out of retirement without this trade being arranged first, his contract would have hit the Patriots books within 48 hours I believe is the rule, and they'd have had to cut him. So you could argue they were lucky to get a 4th, but all sides were obviously willing to get something done to make it work. 

All it takes for Trent to have a better market is for there to be more than one team interested in paying more than a 4th. A situation that was literally non-existent for Gronk that could at least hypothetically materialize for Trent. That's not to say that I disagree with a lot of your other points, you just can't be sure his market isn't better than Gronk's since we could have more leverage with multiple offers when the time comes.

• Like 2

Austin Hooper got a delivery from a Brinks truck, and he's not the best TE in the league. Gronk, when he plays, is the best TE in the league. The best TE in the league just got traded for a 4th round pick. Trent Williams is like our own 2020 oil barrel. His value is depreciating fast. If this lasts into the preseason, his value will be 0.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Austin Hooper got a delivery from a Brinks truck, and he's not the best TE in the league. Gronk, when he plays, is the best TE in the league. The best TE in the league just got traded for a 4th round pick. Trent Williams is like our own 2020 oil barrel. His value is depreciating fast. If this lasts into the preseason, his value will be 0.

Well Gronk basically said it’s TB and TB only, same when Pats almost traded him to Detroit. Not a lot of leverage when he’ll only go to one team.